Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Blockbuster Trade that Could Make Sense

A Blockbuster Trade that Could Make Sense

And doesn't involve the Reds.

Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Diamondbacks for Justin Upton and Tyler Skaggs.

Rockies are desperate for pitching and could trade their best player in order to get it. http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ulo?xid=cnnbin

Diamondbacks are desperate for a SS and will likely trade their best player to get one. They also have young pitching in spades (Skaggs, Bauer, Bradley, etc.)

That would give Colorado one HELL of an OF with Upton, Fowler, and CarGo.

Just my own speculation, no merit to it beyond that. If it happens, it would rival the Dodgers-Red Sox and Tigers-Marlins blockbusters of the past couple years.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: A Blockbuster Trade that Could Make Sense

Unless the Rocks have a top notch SS in the minors, I don't see them even remotely considering trading away Tulo. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCharles
    Unless the Rocks have a top notch SS in the minors, I don't see them even remotely considering trading away Tulo. Just my opinion.
    Just FTR, .292/.317/.526/.843 is what Josh Rutledge has done in 218 MLB PA's this year while filling in at SS for the injured Tulo.

I think it's basically a wash for both teams, so I'm not sure why either would do it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

For a Level Playing Field

I know it happens from time-to-time, but I am skeptical about any "huge" trade that happens between two teams in the same division.

Makes me wonder... when was the last time the REDS made a trade in their own division that involved a "major" player? I guess it wasn't the Morgan-Billingham-Geronimo trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think it's basically a wash for both teams, so I'm not sure why either would do it.
    Because both teams would be trading from a strength to fill a weakness.

Arizona already has four starting OF and lots of young pitching, but desperately needs a SS. This would give them the best in the game.

Colorado has Josh Rutledge (and Trevor Story behind him), but desperately needs pitching. This would get them one of the better young pitchers in the game while still not losing a great deal of offense (and giving them the best OF in baseball). Upton could OPS > .900 every year in that park.
    Go BLUE!!!

Looks like a feasible, balanced trade to me. Teams rarely trade their best players, but this one makes sense to both teams.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I know it happens from time-to-time, but I am skeptical about any "huge" trade that happens between two teams in the same division.

Makes me wonder... when was the last time the REDS made a trade in their own division that involved a "major" player? I guess it wasn't the Morgan-Billingham-Geronimo trade!
    Not sure when the Dodgers left the Reds division. But the Reds and Dodgers used to trade alot:

1982 Reds trade Mike Ramsey to Dodgers for Ted Power.
    1983 Reds trade Rafael Landestoy for John Franco/Brett Wise.
    1989 Reds trade Kal Daniels/Lenny Harris for Mariano Duncan/Tim Leary.
    1991 Reds trade Eric Davis/Kip Gross for Tim Belcher/John Wetteland.
    1998 Reds trade Jeff Shaw for Paul Konerko/Dennys Reyes.
    2000 Reds trade Ken Lutz (minors) for Juan Castro.

Some big names being traded in the 90's.

If I am the Rockies there is no way I am giving up Tulo for Upton. When a team wants to get rid of their best player that should raise some alarms. No thanks on Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If I am the Rockies there is no way I am giving up Tulo for Upton. When a team wants to get rid of their best player that should raise some alarms. No thanks on Upton.
    While Upton was rumored to be available for the right price (= high price), saying the DBacks "wanted to get rid of Upton" seems a little too emphatic. If they wanted to get rid of him why is he still there? If you want to get rid of the guy who finished 4th in the MVP balloting there would be plenty of takers. Floating a guy's name on the market to see what sort of mega-haul you could get for him is a lot different than wanting to get rid of him. If the DBacks trade Justin Upton they will get top-notch talent in return.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 09-18-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They would also be getting one of the top young pitchers in the game. It's not as if it were Tulo for Upton straight up.
    Go BLUE!!!

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Not sure when the Dodgers left the Reds division. But the Reds and Dodgers used to trade alot:

1982 Reds trade Mike Ramsey to Dodgers for Ted Power.
    1983 Reds trade Rafael Landestoy for John Franco/Brett Wise.
    1989 Reds trade Kal Daniels/Lenny Harris for Mariano Duncan/Tim Leary.
    1991 Reds trade Eric Davis/Kip Gross for Tim Belcher/John Wetteland.
    1998 Reds trade Jeff Shaw for Paul Konerko/Dennys Reyes.
    2000 Reds trade Ken Lutz (minors) for Juan Castro.

Some big names being traded in the 90's.
    Why did the Reds ever trade Eric Davis for?

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    While Upton was rumored to be available for the right price (= high price), saying the DBacks "wanted to get rid of Upton" seems a little too emphatic. If they wanted to get rid of him why is he still there? If you want to get rid of the guy who finished 4th in the MVP balloting there would be plenty of takers. Floating a guy's name on the market to see what sort of mega-haul you could get for him is a lot different than wanting to get rid of him. If the DBacks trade Justin Upton they will get top-notch talent in return.
    There is "wanting to get rid of someone" and then what the DBacks are doing with Upton. Its no secret that they aren't happy with his play. They made it known earlier this season that he is available for the right price. I would even imagine that its better than even odds that Upton gets traded for this off season.

If I am the DBacks brass or another team I would be worried about a guy going from an OPS+ of 140 to that of 101 the next season.

Sean Marshall is a pretty big name
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?