Dom's identity revealed!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Robinson Calls Taylor Swift "Horrible"

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Taylor Swift is not country.
    I agree.

THIS IS COUNTRY:

THIS IS NOT COUNTRY:

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Stat geek...and proud

Kind of odd coming from a guy who has one top 40 hit, 20 years ago, and whose true claim to fame is being Kate Hudson's husband.
    That's not quite fair. The Black Crowes aren't writing "chart" music. If anything, their latter material is quite NON commercial entirely. We'll see who has more fans 10 years from now. I'll bet it won't be Taylor Swift, and I have nothing against her particularly, but it's not my cup of tea. Bands like the Crowes are career oriented. Teenybopper music is here today, gone tomorrow. Heard from the Spice Girls lately?

/and I'm not a huge Black Crowes fan either. That's just how the business is today. A band like Dream Theater who nobody has ever heard of can sell more concert tickets than bands who have had "hits."

Taylor Swift will more than likely still be around in ten years in some form or another, if she wants to be. I think comparing her to the Spice Girls is a poor fit.

Although come to think of it, three of the Spice Girls are still pretty famous though, especially in the UK.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Talent isnt only based on style of your music either. Who says Taylor Swift couldnt write and perform other genres?

It's fine if you dont enjoy her music, I dont either, but the hate for it is pretty amazing. It's like people want to censor other peoples thoughts. Way to go.

I know plenty of people who dislike Tool, but I'm a huge fan. Some people just dont get other types of music. No reason to really tear it apart and hate it for the sake of your disdain for it.
    I'm saying that she can't sing. To me that is a big stumbling block to being a singer.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Taylor Swift is neither "horrible" nor untalented. That said, she is not even close to being the female vocalist that country icons Reba McEntire and Martina McBride are, or Patsy Cline and Tammy Wynette were. Her voice is rather ordinary. Her greater strength is her song writing ability. Yes, she writes songs with the senisibilities of a teenager, which is hardly surprising at this point in her career, but relatively few performers are talented enough to both write hit songs and then sing them.
    I do find the arguments about what is and is not country rather amusing. This is a debate which has been going on for more than a half century. There were critics of Johnny Cash decades ago who thought he wasn't country (how dare he have trumpets on "Ring of Fire"?!!). Some country purists were horrified when electric guitars were used on some "country" songs. I suppose some people think that country music has been going downhill every since it departed from the standards of Uncle Dave Macon and the Fruit Jar Drinkers.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Taylor Swift is not country. She's mostly pop with a some strong rock influences. She started in Nashville, but she is not country.

Still she's one hell of a performer, no matter what you think of her music. Check out her CMA and other award show performances. She definitely has talent at being an entertainer, if not a musician.
    All songs have verses and some sort of melodic refrain. You could add heavy banjo to Swift's music and suddenly it's Bluegrass. Most of Swift's singles have been popified from their original version to fit Top 40 radio (They still aren't classic country, but they are more country than what you would hear on say, Q102.)

For most people, music is about a melody that appeals to them-it's about taste.

That may not be fair to a band like the Black Crowes, but that's the way it is.

"Mmmmmbop" has probably sold more records than everything the Black Crowes have done combined.

It doesn't make it better, it means it has sold more.

But to take that fact and then turn it into "Taylor Swift is horrible and untalented" is something I take issue with on a few levels.

I'll give him that she can be terribly off-key- I'll bet every singer alive has been at one point or another, and in Robinson's case it's more than likely because he's higher than a kite on an April day in Chicago.

Swift's talent rests in her ability to write melodic hooks, which is the entire key to why people listen to music. If it doesn't have some sort melody that catches interest, it isn't going to be listened to more than once. That is as true for Hanson as it is for Pavement as it is for Tool. The supporting cast, i.e. the instrumentation, can soften or harden the arrangement, but at its base music is the same.

And in that regard, Swift runs circles around Robinson- it's going to appeal to more people, she's going to sell more records because of it, and that probably annoys him to no end.

It's almost as if these guys want to write music that appeals to less people and then wish to be celebrated for it. That's neither good or bad, I guess, but I'm not sure how one complains that your music is better, but less people like it.

Whether or not Swift is "Classic Country" seems like a question of taste and not talent, though she's no less poppy than Buck Owen's "Tiger By the Tail" or Conway Twitty's "Make Believe."

Some of the hate is generational- Swift isn't going to appeal to people who grew up on George Jones, lyrically or stylistically. But then again, there were people probably saying that Jones wasn't like those before him.

For me, Swift may not be Chopin, but I'm cueing her up before him, if you know what I'm saying.

If you want to see Swift's appeal at work, watch the Crossroads special she did with Def Leppard.

During the opening line of "Teardrops on My Guitar," you can see an out of focus and not mic-ed Rick Savage mouthing, "Drew looks / at me."

Maybe Savage likes untalented teeny boppers, or maybe he's just not that concerned that Taylor Swift isn't as good as Loretta Lynn.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 09-06-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

I'll give him that she can be terribly off-key- I'll bet every singer alive has been at one point or another, and in Robinson's case it's more than likely because he's higher than a kite on an April day in Chicago.
    A lot of singers, including Faith Hill, Tim McGraw and Sara Evans, have admitted to using Auto Tune to keep themselves on key and on pitch. Some country singers, including Martina McBride and Vince Gill, do not use (nor do they need) Auto Tune.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'm saying that she can't sing. To me that is a big stumbling block to being a singer.
    Yep. Killed the careers of Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, and John Prine. Among many, many others.

Swift doesn't use Auto-Tune. She writes her own songs.

For that reason alone, she deserves praise as both a musician and singer.

As she matures, she's likely to write much better, more complicated music. (Though, to be fair, Teardrops on my Guitar, for example, isn't a badly written song. It's solid, metaphorically.) Her voice is also likely to get either better or more interesting as she ages.

No, she's not Townes Van Zant. She's also not Bonnie Raitt. But she's a heck of alot better than most of the pop muic of today.

No one DESERVES praise Scrap.

As for the argument about selling records.....Taco Bell sells more food each year then the local German eatery down the road here from me [Erika's for you locals] but that doesn't make it better? No, but Taco Bell is more generic, more bland, more watered down and people 'think' its better as a result because it doesn't surprise them. You get the same thing everytime, it never changes. People like that consistency and continuity in life.

Taylor Swift is like a Big Mac. She can be enjoyable to listen to, but she's bad for you. You have to step outside the box and listen to something more once in a while with talent else you're going to get very fat and be unfulfilled.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sure, people deserve praise for what they do, Joseph.

Swift writes her own songs. They're fairly well written. Solid. Nice hooks. Some clever lines.

No, she's not great yet. But she's much better at that age than many others, including Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Neil Diamond. As others do, she should improve.

Her voice, as of now, is rather weak. So what? It will mature as she does. Like mny other voices have. She's not willing to sell her soul for Auto-Tune. That's something I respect.

I really don't get the hate at all. Who cares if she's not your cup of tea? There are literally thousands of other choices.

Whats funny to me is that you could take the Black Crows She talks to Angels, and have Swift sing it and no one would know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Sure, people deserve praise for what they do, Joseph.

Swift writes her own songs. They're fairly well written. Solid. Nice hooks. Some clever lines.

No, she's not great yet. But she's much better at that age than many others, including Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Neil Diamond. As others do, she should improve.

Her voice, as of now, is rather weak. So what? It will mature as she does. Like mny other voices have. She's not willing to sell her soul for Auto-Tune. That's something I respect.

I really don't get the hate at all. Who cares if she's not your cup of tea? There are literally thousands of other choices.
    This is a thread about whether or not one thinks Swift is all that....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Whats funny to me is that you could take the Black Crows She talks to Angels, and have Swift sing it and no one would know the difference.
    Chris Robinson is a hippie. It makes it more "authentic" if he does it.

Another point is that most Black Crowe fans think this song and their other hit are sell out songs, not their best stuff, yet without the success of thes singles, they'd be lucky to book the Jim Hogg County Fair, which come to think of it is probably the apex of their year anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Dom's identity revealed!

That is great.

Turn Off Ads?