Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2012......Maybe

NBA 2012......Maybe

Commissioner David Stern floated it as an idea more than a firm proposal: a 50-50 revenue split.
    Even so, the union's reply was unequivocal.
    "They said, 'We can't do it."' according to Stern.
    And with that, the remainder of the preseason was lost and the first two weeks of the regular season moved to the brink of cancellation.
    The NBA shelved the rest of its exhibition schedule Tuesday and will wipe out the first two weeks of the regular season if there is no labor agreement by Monday.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ZrnOjNTe

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA 2012......Maybe

I must say, the NBA is really rolling the dice here.

They are perilously close to an NHL-like reduction in sports market mindshare and fandom.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I must say, the NBA is really rolling the dice here.

They are perilously close to an NHL-like reduction in sports market mindshare and fandom.
    IMO the NHL made the right move for the future of the league. It may have set them back 10 years, but it had to be done.

I have to think the NBA is in some serious trouble right now. I don't see a solution out there that the players agree too nor do I see a deal the owners are willing to offer. It could be a lost season.

NBA Commissioner David Stern cancels the first two weeks of the season.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1aQzef0PF

I remember how the NBA was supposed to learn from the NFL lockout and avoid all this.

The breakdown of NBA labor talks Thursday likely will force more games to be canceled after negotiations failed to yield a deal to end the lockout.
    After 30 hours of negotiations over three days, the two sides remained divided over two main issues - the division of revenues and the structure of the salary cap system.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1bN8pAf8x

Or maybe not. My personal deadline is Christmas Day. No games by Christmas Day and I am sitting this season out.

Both sides of these negotiations are plain stupid.

They are making the mistake that there is an NFL-or-MLB-like pent-up passionate demand for NBA basketball. But 90% of NBA "fans" will go "hum, no pro ball, let's watch football, hockey, college hoops, etc etc." and won't skip a beat.

Maybe this is what the owners want is to completely blow up the sport to neuter the player's union and radically restructure the economics. But I think they are sorely underestimating the damage they are doing to their sport. They'll put it back to the stone age of the late 70's when the Finals were on tape delay after the 11:30 news because they drove the market away.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Three days and 30 hours' worth of talks ended on a nasty note Thursday in NBA labor negotiations. And only one thing seemed fairly certain: more games were likely to be cut. Possibly even the season.

Players insist that's the outcome owners wanted all along - "preordained," as union executive director Billy Hunter said.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1bSNq8l7d

I like the NBA, but I won't miss it. It would be nice to have the playoffs next spring, but even there is plenty else to watch. Between college hoops, the start of baseball and even soccer (try it, you might like it!) there is plenty out there for fans to watch.

I don't know anyone personally who will miss it one iota.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

part of BBN

As stated, with college hoops, NFL and then ST around the corner, there are plenty of choices out there.

I think the underlying reason for this is fallout from the shenanigans pulled by Lebron James, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade. Small market teams benefit from an NFL-style system not just from keeping a ceiling on salaries, but also by prevent top talent from gravitating toward large markets. Success in the NFL is determined more by football acumen than by market-size. Green Bay and Indy wouldn't have teams, let alone successful ones, if the NFL was like the NBA or MLB. But because the NFL system keeps talent spread across markets, small markets can thrive and be profitable.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

It also obviously helps that the NFL only has 16 games, so there's just the single, national television contract (ok, there are 5 separate networks, but they are all national contracts that the teams share evenly). With 82 and 162 games, respectively, that model obviously wouldn't work in the NBA or MLB. And that drives a large portion of the wealth differential between big and small markets in those leagues.

I'll miss it but not like I would miss the NFL or MLB.

I'm not into holding boycotts if they come back I'll happily watch.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I could care less about the NBA. If there is an intriguing story line in the post season or a Game 7 I might watch a game or two but otherwise I largely ignore the NBA in favor of college basketball. That's really kind of depressing for the NBA because I am a 26 y/o male (their target audience) and I actually grew up watching quite a bit of NBA. But once I got to college I pretty much started only watching college ball and lost interest.

Turn Off Ads?