Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Re: College Football Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Hadn't thought of that. Would have been nice if Kevin Plank could have stepped in when eight sports were getting cut last year. Football is king obviously in Div. I. I wonder how much, if any, consideration is given to these programs non-revenue sports teams when making these conference decisions.
    Of course there probably is some. If Maryland starts receiving more money by the move to the Big 10 then they have more to budget and probably renew some of those lost programs. I know WVU restarted a couple non revenue teams with the move to the big 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd like to see the NCAA take control of college football realignment. Let schools choose whatever conference they want for their other sports. For football, create four conferences of 32 schools based on geography. Break down each conference into four divisions of eight schools. Schools would play each team in their division once for a total of seven division games and four non-conference games. The four winners of each division would play in a Final Four for their conference title. The four conference winners would play a Final Four for the national title.

This allows every team in the country an equal opportunity to play for a national title. It keeps travel costs down and increases attendance for all sports by breaking the schools up geographically. I would imagine the television money for a system like this would be astronomical. The schools that don't make the playoffs can play in bowl games. It keeps traditional rivalries alive by allowing schools to keep their conference ties with all other sports and allowing them to schedule out-of-conference games against traditional rivals without worrying that one non-conference loss will do them in.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    My guess is that the Big Ten Network has their eyes on the D.C TV market (Maryland) and the N.Y/N.J market (Rutgers).

However, College Football is an afterthought in both markets.
    Yeah. I get that, but I have to agree with what Dan Wetzel wrote, if it's primarily about BTN money then the league is starting to let the tail wag the dog.

It's also interesting that Maryland was one of the two ACC schools who voted against raising the conference exit fee recently. (Florida State was the other, unsurprisingly.)
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Rutgers draws well, a couple of ESPNs highest rated games were involving Rutgers a couple years ago when they were potentially playing for Big East crown. Rutgers has always been that "what if" case.
    I suspect those Rutgers games were out-rated by an old edition of Yankeeography on the Yes network. The only college football folks in NYC watch is Notre Dame. Turn on WFAN on a Friday afternoon in November and the #2 topic is the NFL. #1, as always , are the Yankees and the Mets. College football- nobody cares. Rutgers- get serious.

Looks like we're approaching the endgame for realignment. I just hope my Bearcats aren't relegated to the MAC by the time the dust settles.

ESPN is pulling the strings again.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-18-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Looks like we're approaching the endgame for realignment. I just hope my Bearcats aren't relegated to the MAC by the time the dust settles.

Marquette will play em. If you insist on a football game too, we'll send UW-Whitewater.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Rutgers draws well, a couple of ESPNs highest rated games were involving Rutgers a couple years ago when they were potentially playing for Big East crown. Rutgers has always been that "what if" case.

I think its a great fit Maryland and Big 10. And a great financial winfall for an university that greatly needs it. I always thought it might happen, I am surprised though Rutgers would be #2, I always thought UVa or Ga Tech made a lot of sense.

Edit:
    In a population center like the NY metro area you don't have to draw a huge number to get a lot of tvs. Rutgers does draw enough to move the needle if by default.
    Great points. Plus if the Big Ten Network gets even a sniff of the cable fees it currently brings in from the current markets, that's an absolute bucketful of money.

New York, Washington DC and Baltimore, heck at 10 cents per subscriber, that's a boatload. And that's before you get 1 person to tune in.

I'd love UVa. I think they'd be an excellent fit. Ga Tech doesn't really fit in with the other schools. It would be the smallest school outside of Northwestern, and it competes in a crowded market where it barely gets interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

It's getting harder to see a scenario where this story has a happy ending for UC fans. I think the silence surrounding them in every one of these expansion stories is getting a tad deafening.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Maryland is officially moving to the Big Ten starting in the 2014-2015 academic year. Rutgers will announce their move to the Big Ten tomorrow.

Silly season.

And UC is likely screwed.

I don't think they are done at 14. I think you will see the BigTen make a play for 16. I think they will take two more ACC schools. My guess is that they are after two of UNC, Florida St, and Virginia. There has been some rumbling about Georgia Tech, too.

Rutgers and Maryland don't do anything other than grab the money they will need to buy the exit fees for bigger fish.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I don't think they are done at 14. I think you will see the BigTen make a play for 16. I think they will take two more ACC schools. My guess is that they are after two of UNC, Florida St, and Virginia. There has been some rumbling about Georgia Tech, too.

Rutgers and Maryland don't do anything other than grab the money they will need to buy the exit fees for bigger fish.
    In this order IMO:
    UNC
    Virginia
    Ga tech
    Miami is the consolation prize.

Big 12 if forced keys in on:
    Fla St
    Clemson
    Ga Tech/ Va Tech
    Louisville
    NC State

SEC is who I want to see and may dictate to the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I dont think sec has an appetite to expand further anytime soon.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I dont think sec has an appetite to expand further anytime soon.
    Nor do they have any financial inventive to. Their TV deal (along with the B12's TV deal) doesn't expand if they add new teams -- it merely increases the number of mouths that need to be fed and shrinks the revenue pool for existing schools.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Has anyone else read any rumors that Fox, which owns a stake in the B1G Network and is about to acquire a stake in the YES Network, is going to bundle both YES and B1G together for NY/NJ cable networks and basically say if you want to carry YES on your basic tier you'll also need to carry the B1G on your basic tier? If that is pulled off, $$$$$ for the B1G.

Turn Off Ads?