Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Lidspinner, the difference between drafting morons and signing them as undrafted free agents is night and day.

This guy has has less than a short leash. The slightest screw up and he's gone.

There's essentially no opportunity cost to signing guys like this. Any benefit you get from an undrafted free agent is money found. As opposed to Odell Thurman and Chris Henry(who the Bengals took in front of a number of guys who could still be contributing.) Signing Burflict costs you nothing.

There's a time and a place for giving guys second chances. The difference is that Mike Brown used to do it in the 2nd and 3rd round, now they're doing it in the late rounds and with undrafted guys.

As we've seen with guys like Rey Mauluga, if you draft a guy and he has problems, there's generally a reluctance to completely cut ties. But if an unsigned free agent causes the same amount of trouble either on field or off, then he's gone before the end of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So I'm not up to speed on the Burfcit kid. From what I've gathered, his main problem is being overly aggressive on the field? I haven't seen anything about off the field stuff, though there is some social anxiety stuff that pops up.

Am I missing something glaring? From what I've read, could be a Jerome Harrison type w/ cheap shots, head hunting, etc... While not ideal, its not the worst thing in the world. An undrafted free agent is hardly anything to fret about.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    So I'm not up to speed on the Burfcit kid. From what I've gathered, his main problem is being overly aggressive on the field? I haven't seen anything about off the field stuff, though there is some social anxiety stuff that pops up.

Am I missing something glaring? From what I've read, could be a Jerome Harrison type w/ cheap shots, head hunting, etc... While not ideal, its not the worst thing in the world. An undrafted free agent is hardly anything to fret about.
    That's what I'd heard too. Seemed to be more a product of the system at ASU under Erickson than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

What's your preference? A guy who has problems on the field or off? His problems have been on the field. I saw him play in a few west coast games on FSN and as I watched him I thought "he has Bengal written all over him". Odell Thurman's problem was alcoholism, I don't think that's Burfict's problem. He just undisciplined. He will tend to be out of position and get fines for late hits. Supposedly Marvin's been talking to him and hopefully he's spelled it out for him: that there's a spot for him at MLB and he can make a living if he works at it and stays clean. I'm OK with signing him as an UDFA and I think his chances of working out are less than 50:50 but we've had a hole at that position ever since Marvin's been here (since Takeo Spikes left). For a guy like this the choice is clear: you either make a living in football or you'll be on the streets. I'm surprised that doesn't motivate more players

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What's your preference? A guy who has problems on the field or off? His problems have been on the field. I saw him play in a few west coast games on FSN and as I watched him I thought "he has Bengal written all over him". Odell Thurman's problem was alcoholism, I don't think that's Burfict's problem. He just undisciplined. He will tend to be out of position and get fines for late hits. Supposedly Marvin's been talking to him and hopefully he's spelled it out for him: that there's a spot for him at MLB and he can make a living if he works at it and stays clean. I'm OK with signing him as an UDFA and I think his chances of working out are less than 50:50 but we've had a hole at that position ever since Marvin's been here (since Takeo Spikes left). For a guy like this the choice is clear: you either make a living in football or you'll be on the streets. I'm surprised that doesn't motivate more players
    That's because the same people that would be motivated by that, they're also the ones who think that whatever happens to them, it was someone else's fault. If the Bengals end up cutting Burfict, from his point of view it will be the Bengals fault for not sticking with him, giving him another chance, etc., etc.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wouldn't say I have a preference for either on the field or off the field issues. But for a undrafted FA signee with alleged talent, I'm not going to worry about either. Worst case scenerio, he's a total knucklehead and gets cut half way thru training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    The Bengals picked up Dan 'Boom' Herron from tOSU at the end of the draft so the running game did get a little bit of help today.
    I'm interested to see how this works out. Herron never jumps out at you on the football field, but all of a sudden you look up at the stats and he's always productive, despite some terrible line play at OSU during his tenure. He appears to have very good vision and the ability to cut in/out of cuts quicker than most college running backs I watch. He never appeared to have the best straight line speed on the football field, but I'd rank that skill behind the two I listed above; in that regard he's kind of the anti-Bernard Scott who has great straight line speed, but suffers to recognize and hit holes quickly (although I think he improved on this skill as he got more playing time last year)

Assuming health w/ the other backs, I think the last RB spot either goes to Scott or Herron. Of course in the NFL, especially w/ running backs, you can't really assume health.

IIRC, there were rumors of a failed drug test at the combine.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I wouldn't say I have a preference for either on the field or off the field issues. But for a undrafted FA signee with alleged talent, I'm not going to worry about either. Worst case scenerio, he's a total knucklehead and gets cut half way thru training camp.
    I like the risk as an undrafted FA but I have to disagree on the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario is that he performs, the Bengals cut other players, and then just when they're "counting on him" he goes all Chris Henry/Pac Man on us.

I like the risk as an undrafted FA but I have to disagree on the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario is that he performs, the Bengals cut other players, and then just when they're "counting on him" he goes all Chris Henry/Pac Man on us.
    Very good point.

If this guy can do half the things he was known for 9 months ago, the Bengals will have something special: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...ontaze-burfict

I'm sort of worried about a sophomore slump for the QB. Hopefully not.

I saw in this draft, Marvin, drafting hard hitters in preparation for playing in the AFC North. In other words if you're going to war against teams like the Steelers and Ravens, you want guys like Burfict on your side. That was a theme starting with the first pick, Kirkpatrick

I saw in this draft, Marvin, drafting hard hitters in preparation for playing in the AFC North. In other words if you're going to war against teams like the Steelers and Ravens, you want guys like Burfict on your side. That was a theme starting with the first pick, Kirkpatrick
    Kirkpatrick is the one guy in the draft that I think may have been a bit of a reach for the Bengals. I'm just not sold on him, but I think he can contribute and can be good.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Kirkpatrick is the one guy in the draft that I think may have been a bit of a reach for the Bengals. I'm just not sold on him, but I think he can contribute and can be good.
    I agree. But they needed a CB real bad. I'm anxious to actually see him play. I'm hoping he's a guy who really lays the wood in the secondary kinda like Carnell Lake used to do for the Steelers

Turn Off Ads?