Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Fiction-wise, I'm reading Terry Pratchett's first Discworld book. It's taking me a bit to get into it, as so much is being thrown out that it's hard to keep straight. Pratchett is funny, though, and I loved Good Omens, the apocalyptic book he did with Neil Gaiman, so I'm going to keep reading. And then there are only 3,152 more books in the series.

I'm also writing like crazy. Does anyone know anything about Gauss guns?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Finished Kings of Infinite Space last night and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommend RZ. Probably never would have found it otherwise.

I feel like I need to get back to some more "productive" reading so I've started Tom Hopkins How to Master the Art of Selling. I've also got Blue Ocean Strategy by Mauborgne and Kim as well as Street Smarts by Brodsky and Burlingham. I plan to bounce around these three for the next several weeks and see what I can pick up.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

I was on vacation and got to read....

Finally got around to reading "The Corrections". I liked it a lot. I did skip a few of the 2-page-one-sentence-stream-of-conciousness section, but overall I really liked it.

Also read Erik Larson's "Devil in the White City". Chilling tale and interesting history.

Reading Barbara Kingsolver's "Flight Behavior" now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

"Devil in the White City" was incredible. It's great how Larson tells the story of this serial killer while putting him in the context of the Chicago World's Fair.

I just started reading "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach. Really enjoying it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I just started reading "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach. Really enjoying it so far.
    Loved that book.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

7. Likes:

Roy Tucker (07-30-2013)

If you like Erik Larson I recommend In The Garden of Beasts. it tells the story of the US Ambassador to Germany during the 1930s.

9. Likes:

marcshoe (07-28-2013)

Senor Votto

A little halfway through The Shining. Started off slow but it's interesting now. A few very creepy chapters so far.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If you like Erik Larson I recommend In The Garden of Beasts. it tells the story of the US Ambassador to Germany during the 1930s.
    I'm more early American history through the end of the 19th Century and this book gave me a new insight on the character of the Nazi government. Göring and Goebbels were portrayed both fully and chillingly.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I just finished Kristopher Jansma's "The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards."

A quirky, entertaining book. One of my favorites I've read recently. A quick read too at about 250 pages. One of those you want to discuss with someone after finishing.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Just started The Stand by Stephen King. I know there are some fans of that one on here.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Just started The Stand by Stephen King. I know there are some fans of that one on here.
    I was going to read that one when I finish The Shining. Let me know how it is.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I was going to read that one when I finish The Shining. Let me know how it is.
    I was gonna read The Shining after I finish this one.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The SS: Hitlers Instrument of Terror. Written by Gordan Williamson its a
    Very very fascinating read about the rise of the Nazi paramilitary organization from Hitlers Beer Hall muscle to a organization that not only controlled the Death Camps but also all intelligence agencies in Germany plus fielded nearly 30 divisions of what many military historians consider some of the most elite troops of all time
    And This One Belongs To The Reds

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Loved that book.
    I'm breezing through it. About 2/3 of the way done so far, and I'm really enjoying it.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Chuck Klosterman's "I Wear The Black Hat."

Fun (and often fascinating) read on the concept of villains (real and imaginary) in pop culture. Most fun I've had reading a book in some time.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?