Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runners Left in Scoring Position

Runners Left in Scoring Position

Just thought I'd throw some of these stats out here for some conversation.

We currently rank dead last in MLB with 4.67 runners left on base/game. I know some of you are saying, "ONLY 4.67/game?"

http://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat...ition-per-game

We're ranked 18th in the league in Avg w/ RISP. 18th isn't bad. Not good, but it's not bad.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.js...39;&extended=0

What can explain why we're not getting some of these guys home more often?

We're T-1st in MLB in K's w/ RISP. I'd be interested to see what our BABIP is w/ RISP as well.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.js...39;&extended=0

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Runners Left in Scoring Position

Reds are 7th in the Majors and 5th in the NL in Runs Scored (With runners in Scoring Position)

We started out last year like this too; hitting horribly with RISP. I just don't think we're very good at this whereas teams like the Cardinals seem to be quite adept in this area. I know some don't believe in the skill of hitting w/ RISP but I do

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Reds are 7th in the Majors and 5th in the NL in Runs Scored (With runners in Scoring Position)
    Just to clarify, I wasn't complaining about the amount of guys we leave on base. Our offense isn't a problem, but it seems people are always complaining about how we leave guys in scoring position so I wanted to bring up some stats to show what's happening.

I think from the stats, it shows that we have so many guys on base, that we'll get hits, but we just aren't getting everyone home which isn't a bad problem to have. I wish we'd move into the Top 15 or 12 of MLB w/ RISP, but I don't think it's a problem.

High five!

We also lead the league with 147 PA/RISP.

Again, teams that score lots of runs leave lots of runners on base. No team gets everyone home.

I'm not a fan of RISP, I'm a fan of converting baserunners to runs and not making outs. When the Reds have men on, they've scored 55 runs (5th best, Cardinals are first with 64.) The Reds are second in the league with 231 PA/Men on (SF 1st with 234.)

Continuing to get men on will result in getting men over and home. I'm not worried that a baker's dozen's worth of games is a likely indicator of the remaining games. Hopefully, the nice on-base skills will coincide with timely hitting and we will remember these first few games as an anomaly.

7. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-16-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I think I read on here last year that the team who stranded the most runners in history was one of the Big Red Machine teams.

Stranding runners is a sign that you get guys on base. The inning end eventually, anyway, and if your offense is good you'll strand more runners.

Beep doesn't believe in stranding runners.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We started out last year like this too; hitting horribly with RISP. I just don't think we're very good at this whereas teams like the Cardinals seem to be quite adept in this area. I know some don't believe in the skill of hitting w/ RISP but I do
    I agree. Sometimes hitters stress themselves out in these situations. It happens.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I think I read on here last year that the team who stranded the most runners in history was one of the Big Red Machine teams.
    If this is true, someone needs to share it with the Brennamans.
    /r/reds

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    The 1976 Reds left 1,328 runners on base.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recb..._records.shtml

Teams who score the most runs tend to leave the most runners on base.

If you get a lot of runners on base (by having a high OBP) you will both score more runs and leave more runners on base.

There are only 4 teams in major league baseball who have scored more runs than the Reds.

The Reds' BA w/RISP is higher than their batting average with the bases empty. But it doesn't really matter what their batting averages are because batting average is a terrible way to grade their hitting ability in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post

Mother of god

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post

That doesn't surprise me and it is interesting. Thanks for the info. Of course that team did hit .273 with RISP and that's not too shabby. When you combine those two stats it tells you that this was a team that got a ton of guys on; not that they were not adept at getting them in

15. Likes:

redsrule2500 (04-17-2013)

I don't care HOW a team scores. Just score.

If they are scoring 5+ runs a game, and they do it without a good avg w/RISP more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I don't care HOW a team scores. Just score.

If they are scoring 5+ runs a game, and they do it without a good avg w/RISP more power to them.
    You're a better man than I. All I can think about is that if they hit better with guys on they'd score 7 a game.

I hate, hate, hate, strikeouts to strand runners. I just don't think it's too much to ask do whatever you have to do put some wood on the ball in an attempt to extend the inning.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    You're a better man than I. All I can think about is that if they hit better with guys on they'd score 7 a game.
    7 Runs a game would be a little unreasonable to expect.

Single season record for a team is the 1931 Yanks who scored 6.88 Runs/Game in 155 games.

That team had Ruth and Gehrig.

You'll make yourself crazy worrying about that.

Turn Off Ads?