Votto - #48
    Stubbs - #111
    Wood - #119

The DRays had 11 names...wow.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...rticleid=27859

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Rotoworld Top 150 Prospects

Cant believe that Cueto didnt make their list. He is definately a top 150 prospect, no doubts about it.

The thing that really jumps out at me about these lists is the amount of higher draft picks / international players on here.

It seems like, with the advances of scouting, there are less hidden gems nowadays.

Johnny Cueto is a top 100 prospect in my book. Rotoworld leaving him out of their top 150 is a joke to me. Look at his stats and then consider how good his stuff is and then compare it to some of the names on that list. Not very good research on their part.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-05-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Johnny Cueto is a top 100 prospect in my book. Rotoworld leaving him out of their top 150 is a joke to me. Look at his stats and then consider how good his stuff is and then compare it to some of the names on that list. Not very good research on their part.
    Someone on another site I go to brought up a good point.... once he got to about 100, he pretty much used his previous list to fill in the last 50 guys. The one thing I like is the mini scouting reports he gives with the top 100, something most places dont do.

I'm amazed that Stubbs is making these lists. Has he done anything yet to show that he is legit? Is he getting ranked just because of his "Mike Cameron" defense?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm amazed that Stubbs is making these lists. Has he done anything yet to show that he is legit? Is he getting ranked just because of his "Mike Cameron" defense?
    In such a small sample size you need to rely on things that scouts say.
    Stubbs has great power potential.
    Stubbs has great speed.
    Stubbs has very good plate discipline.
    Stubbs plays great defense.

Stubbs does not make a lot of contact.

For right now, he has 1 weakness and 4 very strong points. He plays one of the most important defensive positions on the field, he doesnt need to hit .290/.380/.500 to be valuable. Last season 28 players had 400 at bats as a centerfielder. 18 of them had an OPS lower than .800. 10 of them had an OPS lower than .750. You dont have to hit very well to play centerfield in the major leagues as long as you play good defense. Drew Stubbs could hit .250 in the majors and be a very valuable player to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stubbs has great speed.

For right now, he has 1 weakness and 4 very strong points. He plays one of the most important defensive positions on the field, he doesnt need to hit .290/.380/.500 to be valuable. Last season 28 players had 400 at bats as a centerfielder. 18 of them had an OPS lower than .800. 10 of them had an OPS lower than .750. You dont have to hit very well to play centerfield in the major leagues as long as you play good defense. Drew Stubbs could hit .250 in the majors and be a very valuable player to the Reds.
    This is very true. The fear is that he doesn't hit .250.

Stubbs has great speed.

I still wish we'd taken Tim Linecum... but thanks for the information, dougdirt. I hope he pans out as expected.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Knowing what we know about Hamilton now. Where do you think he would rank?

Quote Originally Posted by michst View Post
    Knowing what we know about Hamilton now. Where do you think he would rank?
    Knowing that he had a great first week of ST? Doubt he would even be in the discussion.

Stubbs has great speed.

Though if he's going to be a nouveau Aaron Rowand then he's not a top 100 prospect and he was a horribly wasted draft pick. Stubbs struggled with the bat in a hitter's league. College players, particularly supposed studs, should detonate that league. Stubbs' debut was Szymanskiesque.

Honestly, wouldn't your above description also apply to Chris Dickerson?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Though if he's going to be a nouveau Aaron Rowand then he's not a top 100 prospect and he was a horribly wasted draft pick. Stubbs struggled with the bat in a hitter's league. College players, particularly supposed studs, should detonate that league. Stubbs' debut was Szymanskiesque.

Honestly, wouldn't your above description also apply to Chris Dickerson?
    Dickerson doesnt have the same type of power Stubbs has shown. They do both have the same qualities I listed. I am not going to get into the Stubbs disappointment/bad pick arguement again, it shows up at about the same ratio as the Adam Dunn/strikeout topic does (per post per forum anyways).

Dickerson doesnt have the same type of power Stubbs has shown. They do both have the same qualities I listed. I am not going to get into the Stubbs disappointment/bad pick arguement again, it shows up at about the same ratio as the Adam Dunn/strikeout topic does (per post per forum anyways).
    Stubbs certainly has more present power than Dickerson. Though Dickerson's an excellent case of how ineffective contact can rob a big, strong kid of power, a valuable cautionary tale if you will.

As for Stubbs, I'm just noting that a Rowandish future would be a disappointment. I assume we're all hoping for him to shake off whatever dogged him the Pioneer League last year. Though I think his debut performance gave cause for concern seeing that the flaw he demonstrated is the sort of thing that can completely undermine everything else a player does well.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'm just noting that a Rowandish future would be a disappointment
    Matter of opinion. It was a weak draft, and getting a league-average CF with excellent defense is OK by me. Lots of top ten guys fail completely -- though it should be noted that at the top of the draft college hitters have higher success rates, so, for me, anything less than Rowandesque will mean they didn't evaluate or develop Stubbs properly.

Of course, if the criterion for a disappointment is that the player didn't end up outperforming every draftee taken after him -- as sometimes appears to be the case -- then he, like most draftees of all time, will be a disappointment.

Turn Off Ads?