Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird dream inside a dream

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Weird dream inside a dream

This happened last night. Not quite like something out of Inception, but definitely a bit strange. Most of my dreams are extremely vivid and this was no different. I was downtown and I was flying around like Superman, buzzing by the stadiums and just flying all over, when the light bulb went off in my brain that there is no way I should be able to do this so I must be dreaming. That was strange enough, knowing I was dreaming. I've heard of this happening to people, but it's not an experience I'm exactly familiar with. Anyway, I flew around for a while and then felt things dissolving and I woke up.

I woke up in bed next to my wife and I was feeling kind of amorous, but she wasn't too inclined at the moment, so I just sat there thinking it was weird that I had just had a dream where I knew I was dreaming and I kept trying to get my wife more in the mood, then I woke up again, this time for real.

Anyone else had anything like that happen? I normally have vivid dreams, but this was a little bit out of the norm for me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weird dream inside a dream

i would say i do that about 90% of the time that i dream--but i also dream maybe once a week.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

For a Level Playing Field

You actually remember your dreams?!? Something I never do. I have heard that not remembering them is common for males. Of course I have had a nightmare or two in my day and I seemed to remember those.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    You actually remember your dreams?!? Something I never do. I have heard that not remembering them is common for males. Of course I have had a nightmare or two in my day and I seemed to remember those.
    I've always remembered them. Most of the time I will remember 3 or 4 a night and they're usually very vivid.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

I will tend to remember my dreams if I am sleeping while laying on one side but not remember them if I am sleeping while on my other side. I imagine something is making me sleep less deeply on the side for which I remember the dreams.

They call me "chef"

I have intense dreams 5-6 nights a week. Apparently it's not common but it's always been that way for me. Your dream within a dream sounds like something I experience maybe a few times a month.

The last few weeks I've been having recurring dreams about trying out for my high school team and being left off the team or benched. Wonder what it means!

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post

I woke up in bed next to my wife and I was feeling kind of amorous, but she wasn't too inclined at the moment, so I just sat there thinking it was weird that I had just had a dream where I knew I was dreaming and I kept trying to get my wife more in the mood, then I woke up again, this time for real.

Anyone else had anything like that happen?
    Nope, I don't even know what your wife looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Nope, I don't even know what your wife looks like.
    Thanks for the laugh.

Google lucid dreaming.

I've read some stuff on ways to practice this. Supposedly if you work at it, you can eventually be able to control them.

I can't remember exactly but it was something like, throughout the night - anytime you wake up, roll over and write down what happened. Then read over it in the morning. Also always think to test yourself in your dreams, such as repeatedly look at a clock. If it changes each time, you are dreaming. Once you realize you are dreaming, you can do whatever.

I never did try the journal thing, but concentrating on remember dreams seemed to work a little bit. IDK if I really believe it, kinda seems like voodoo to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Google lucid dreaming.

I've read some stuff on ways to practice this. Supposedly if you work at it, you can eventually be able to control them.

I can't remember exactly but it was something like, throughout the night - anytime you wake up, roll over and write down what happened. Then read over it in the morning. Also always think to test yourself in your dreams, such as repeatedly look at a clock. If it changes each time, you are dreaming. Once you realize you are dreaming, you can do whatever.

I never did try the journal thing, but concentrating on remember dreams seemed to work a little bit. IDK if I really believe it, kinda seems like voodoo to me.
    I looked that up and opinions seem to be all over the place, but it seems that's what happened to me, although without any real effort. It seems there are a lot of people actively trying to do this and using all manner of recall exercises and reality checks to achieve it, and in my case it just happened. It was definitely different, having that level of awareness, and the dream inside a dream thing was a bit odd.

I also came across some opinions by a few Christians claiming the whole thing is occult and opens one up to demonic influence, but I'm not sure I buy that angle either. I'm a Christian and I don't see anything inherently evil with what happened. It was simply a greater sense of awareness if you will. I guess I could have used the freedom that comes from that awareness to indulge in any manner of sin, but just about anything can be used for good or bad purposes.

With the way I remember dreams and the vividness of most of them, I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often, but maybe it's kind of rare. It was definitely unique.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I looked that up and opinions seem to be all over the place, but it seems that's what happened to me, although without any real effort. It seems there are a lot of people actively trying to do this and using all manner of recall exercises and reality checks to achieve it, and in my case it just happened. It was definitely different, having that level of awareness, and the dream inside a dream thing was a bit odd.

I also came across some opinions by a few Christians claiming the whole thing is occult and opens one up to demonic influence, but I'm not sure I buy that angle either. I'm a Christian and I don't see anything inherently evil with what happened. It was simply a greater sense of awareness if you will. I guess I could have used the freedom that comes from that awareness to indulge in any manner of sin, but just about anything can be used for good or bad purposes.

With the way I remember dreams and the vividness of most of them, I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often, but maybe it's kind of rare. It was definitely unique.
    Are you sure about that? Isn't it possible you were still "on rails" so to speak, and just felt like you had some level of freedom or autonomy that didn't really exist?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Are you sure about that? Isn't it possible you were still "on rails" so to speak, and just felt like you had some level of freedom or autonomy that didn't really exist?
    That could have been the case as well. It was something new to me and then when I did the google search I found out the crazy differing opinions people have on the topic and whole groups of folks online who actively try to do it. It was all news to me.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I rarely remember my dreams, and I'm jealous of those who do.

I used to have crippling nightmares as a child, and I figured out eventually that they almost always occurred when I lied a certain way in bed. I wonder if I developed the ability to suppress the memory of my dreams while getting over the nightmares.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Haunted by walks

Once I dreamt I was awake, but when I woke up I was asleep.

I've done the dream-within-a-dream thing, and it honestly terrifies me. I have occasional panic attacks in my sleep, and they are sometimes linked to this type of dreaming. I've also done more conventional lucid dreaming, which is okay.

I write fiction, and my dreams often inform my fiction. The first book that I put on Amazon began with a dream of a scene that ended up being about halfway through the book. I'm currently working on a rewrite/expansion of a rough draft I've had lying around for years, and the key to getting this going was a dream of a woman riding down the street on a lawnmower, shooting people with a nail gun (research tells me that what I dreamed about is a gauss gun, fwiw.) The first book I ever read came to almost in its entirety in a dream that involved a pacing blue tiger.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?