Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 UC Football

Re: 2010 UC Football Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    No. Florida wouldn't have to forfeit, they'd have to vacate the win.
    I believe you. But that is kind of odd to think there was a game played with a loser but no winner.

2. Turn Off Ads?

BFeldmanESPN:
    Former USC WR Brandon Carswell bound for Big East. RT @TheDidster Leaving to Cincinnati on Tues. It's going to be new but fun I can't wait 12 minutes ago via web
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I'm not sure where I stand on UC this year but the UofL beat writer is doing a preview of each Big East team and his preview of UC is especially pessimistic.

http://ulbeat.courier-journal.com/

Once again, I'm not trying to start trouble, I just thought some of you might be interested in how a rival city views this years Bearcats. Personally, while I dislike UC I hope they outperform expectations on the non-conference slate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Aside from the U(who hit it big with a 2nd big coach right in a row) the other programs had the advantage of one guy coaching for at least 10 years as well.

I don't doubt that Butch Jones can continue on the path Dantonio, Kelly et al have started them on, but Cedric's correct that one bad coaching hire can really destroy any progress made to this point.
    If Jones can do what you say, then can UC retain him like the examples given earlier (Va Tech, FL, FSU)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If Jones can do what you say, then can UC retain him like the examples given earlier (Va Tech, FL, FSU)?
    It depends. Every coach has different things he values. Va. Tech and FSU were fortunate to have a coach who found what he wanted and were able to ramp up to big program status at the right time.

The revolving door doesn't seem to continually spin out good coaches in football, so UC is in a precarious position. But maybe Jones is all that, and he decides to stick.
    Maybe not and they play the carousel again. But my point is every time they have to be right. One bad coach can really send the program back to obscurity.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Until UC gets to the point where they can keep a much sought after coach, they will not be considered a football power to be reckoned with.

Until UC gets to the point where they can keep a much sought after coach, they will not be considered a football power to be reckoned with.
    You mean like Tennessee?

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    You mean like Tennessee?
    That's what I was thinking.

How many jobs out there are TRULY 'Final Destination' jobs? There are only a handful of jobs in college football and college basketball that no one would ever willingly leave (for another college job).

And arguably there isn't truly a single one in college athletics because of the pros.
    Last edited by WMR; 07-28-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    You mean like Tennessee?
    Tennessee doesn't have trouble holding onto coaches. They poached Johnny Majors from Pitt even though he won a national championship there. Lane Kiffin was an anomaly. He didn't even win anything at UT.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

How many jobs out there are TRULY 'Final Destination' jobs? There are only a handful of jobs in college football and college basketball that no one would ever willingly leave (for another college job).

And arguably there isn't truly a single one in college athletics because of the pros.
    Lump them all together if you want but if you can't tell the difference between Xavier and North Carolina basketball then I won't explain it to you.

Lump them all together if you want but if you can't tell the difference between Xavier and North Carolina basketball then I won't explain it to you.
    You mean the North Carolina that played to a half-full arena this year?

There's no team in college sports that's completely immune to this, despite your assertions. If UC goes 6-6 this season, will there be a step back? You betcha. But I don't think it will be a complete collapse of support a la the pre-Minter days.

BTW, I think UC is looking at another 9-10 win season and bounce in and out of the Top-25. Next season, they'll be loaded with no seniors projected to start on defense.
    Last edited by paintmered; 07-29-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    You mean the North Carolina that played to a half-full arena this year?
    So what?

What are the chances of Xavier convincing Roy Williams to leave Chapel hill and come to work on Victory Parkway?

I'm not sure you understood my post.

North Carolina basketball would be one of those handful ultimate college destination jobs.

Sure UT can steal a coach from wherever but you had better hope USC or Notre Dame don't come calling. With a few exceptions, there's always a bigger fish that can come along and eat you.
    Last edited by WMR; 07-29-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Off the top of my head...

College football:
    USC
    Ohio State
    Texas
    Notre Dame
    Florida
    Alabama

Basketball:
    UNC
    UK
    UCLA (?)
    Duke

Tennessee doesn't have trouble holding onto coaches. They poached Johnny Majors from Pitt even though he won a national championship there.
    33 years ago! Guys who were in college then have had kids who graduated from college already.

I'll grant you that Lane Kiffin is an anomaly, and Tennessee has a number of structural advantages over 80% of the colleges, but ask a random sampling of Football fans today, and I'd venture to guess most people wouldn't even rank Tennessee in the top 15 of "destination programs."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?