Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturday August 25th minor league updates

Re: Saturday August 25th minor league updates

Billings is winning 4-2 in the 5th inning.

Justin Reed is 2-for-3 with two singles. Frazier is 0-for-2 with a walk and Brandon Waring has homered in three atbats, his 12th HR of the year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    When Hughes came back from his groin, he didn't have that much of a problem. He threw 2 hittless innings in high A. Dominated in 7 innings in AA his next start.

Why I hate to say it, Bailey is pitching like he is damaged goods. Yellow is flashing.
    Hughes is a better pitcher. Homer may need another year or two to get to a major league level pitcher but I doubt he'll ever be better than average.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Hughes is a better pitcher. Homer may need another year or two to get to a major league level pitcher but I doubt he'll ever be better than average.
    Hughes is more polished, but he doesn't have the stuff Bailey does. Its that old polish vs stuff debate that has gone on forever. Time will tell.

I would take a wait and see approach on Homer with this game. First he is coming off an injury and hasn't pitched for a month so there is bound to be some rust. Secondly we don't know what the coaches down there have him working on. It could be he was told to throw different pitches other than FB, FB, FB. That being said if he gets shelled in his second start I would start to be a lil concerned.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Homer may need another year or two to get to a major league level pitcher but I doubt he'll ever be better than average.
    Care to elaborate on why you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Care to elaborate on why you think that?
    Just a feeling. Hope I'm wrong though. There's a lot of guys throwing 95 in the majors but none of them are sucessful without two other good pitches. Bailey just doesn't seem to have enough control to throw anything but a fastball for a strike when he's behind in the count. Maybe in time that control will come.

Let me add this. Homer in my book may just end up being average but the Reds this year would of been thrilled with another average stater. It would have been an improvement over our 3,4,5 starters.

Homer is coming off an injury. I expect he will have some bad starts,and I would hope he would be ready in spring training next year. I would hope he would use the rest of this year to get back in shape and work on his secondary pitches. With the current state of our rotation, if he shows anything at all in spring training he will have a spot in the rotation

This has nothing to do with panic over this start, because there is none for me. I think the Reds should stick Homer in the pen for a while though. Seems to have worked well for Johan, and Billingsley.

Turn Off Ads?