Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The quest for blood here is incredible. Some of you folks want mass firings and even that's not enough for others. They want the entire football season cancelled so there are thousands more victims to this mess.

I agree with Paterno, this is a tragedy, in hindsight somethings should have been done differently. Let's fire the AD, the President, the coach (at the end of the year) and let's move on. Why make the more people suffer?
    How is it incredible? At least 20 young boys were raped and many of them could have been stopped. These people don't deserve to keep their jobs. The victims also deserve restitution and I'm sure the civil suit here will be quite large and it should be.

I don't really understand your second paragraph as it seems to be a contridiction to your first paragraph.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    SOMEONE was responsible for reporting it. And NOBODY did. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on the type of man you are from my time on here the last several years. And I do believe that if you saw this happen with your own eyes, or were told by someone else, that you would've taken the proper steps and contacted authorities if the people above you didn't handle it in such a manner.

Paterno was part of a coverup, and I think that's an accurate description of the situation. They kept the lid on the fact that Sandusky was a child molestor. Whether Paterno did that knowingly or not, I don't know.

Everyone failed in this scenario. I don't think that Paterno is a bad man. But he made a horrendous mistake, and as a man in a position of authority, he deserves to lose his job for this.

I see what you're saying about tearing the man apart, making it a witch hunt. I feel much the same way. Paterno isn't the devil here. But I disagree with you on Paterno's responsibility.
    They did report it didn't they? At some point a DA was involved who decided not to press charges. To me that sounds like it went from PSU to the authorities and to a DA. Now this DA is missing so he can't tell why he didn't press charges against Sandusky.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They did report it didn't they? At some point a DA was involved who decided not to press charges. To me that sounds like it went from PSU to the authorities and to a DA. Now this DA is missing so he can't tell why he didn't press charges against Sandusky.
    That was a different case that took place in 1998 and a victims family reported it directly.

No Penn State official ever contacted the authorities about Jerry Sandusky.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That was a different case that took place in 1998 and a victims family reported it directly.

No Penn State official ever contacted the authorities about Jerry Sandusky.
    Gotcha.

You could also say that if this DA did his job then the Sandusky would no longer have been able to have his way with boys. The incident that is bringing down PSU never would have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Gotcha.

You could also say that if this DA did his job then the Sandusky would no longer have been able to have his way with boys. The incident that is bringing down PSU never would have happened.
    I would say that. The DA screwed up big time. From reports Sandusky admitted to the mothers face what had happened and the conversation was on tape. Not sure why that wasn't good enough to prosecute, but since he's gone missing I guess we'll never know.

It appears the president of PSU will be gone by the end of the day.

Says something about our society when a university president loses his job before the football coach.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/09/re...2_a4&eref=sihp
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I agree with Paterno, this is a tragedy, in hindsight somethings should have been done differently. Let's fire the AD, the President, the coach (at the end of the year) and let's move on. Why make the more people suffer?
    I'll pretty much agree with this from the standpoint that this was an institutional failure all down the line. Many people, some legally, some morally, dropped the ball hugely. Paterno shouldn't be the only guy to get fired. Lots of heads should roll.

But I would fire him now. I don't think he deserves to finish off the season. He failed many people very badly.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I could see a potential problem for the players when the coach is canned and then his staff, half of whom played for Paterno, also quit in protest.

Not saying it would happen but it may be an issue in why they aren't dumping him right away.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It appears the president of PSU will be gone by the end of the day.

Says something about our society when a university president loses his job before the football coach.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/09/re...2_a4&eref=sihp
    This is a no brainer, he has to go. Isn't he also a chairman on a BCS committee or something? I assume he'll be losing that job as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'll pretty much agree with this from the standpoint that this was an institutional failure all down the line. Many people, some legally, some morally, dropped the ball hugely. Paterno shouldn't be the only guy to get fired. Lots of heads should roll.

But I would fire him now. I don't think he deserves to finish off the season. He failed many people very badly.

Exactly right. Just because Paterno is getting all the attention doesn't mean the others up and down the food chain don't deserve the same fate. Jo Pa has lived in the public eye all his adult life, and it's obviously a terrible blow to his legacy, but that doesn't give him a get out of jail free card here. In fact, because he's such an icon, that campus expects more from him. What he did falls far below the minimum standard for any decent human being, much less an "icon".

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I could see a potential problem for the players when the coach is canned and then his staff, half of whom played for Paterno, also quit in protest.

Not saying it would happen but it may be an issue in why they aren't dumping him right away.

That is so beyond irrelevent, if it were found that that played into the timing to let him go, whomever used that criteria should be gone too.

I don't believe that they're that stupid, with the eyes of the world on them now.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Why is Paterno the one who's responsible for reporting it to the authorities? Why not everyone who that grad asst told? I'm not hearing about his Dad, wife or anyone else losing their jobs?
    Anyone who knew about it and didn't contact the police should be getting some sort of flack/trouble for it. We were specifically talking about Paterno at that point though, so I didn't bring up anyone else.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He wasn't complicit unless he was in on those decisions.
    Until he then saw the guy again and that guy wasn't in jail. At that point, he became complicit. Why are we having this conversation still?

If you saw that, and then saw the guy around later, you would know that something isn't right. If you did nothing at that point, you are then in on not doing the right thing. Period.

I believe there are far too many lawsuits and suing Paterno over this is totally uncalled for
    OMG. Man, you've shot yourself in the foot at least a dozen times here, now it looks like you've decided to reload and keep going.

Seriously.

The quest for blood here is incredible. Some of you folks want mass firings and even that's not enough for others. They want the entire football season cancelled so there are thousands more victims to this mess.

Why make more people suffer? To show the world that anyone who had a chance to stop this and didn't will be scorned by society on any level.

I think the suffering we should be concerned with would be the kids this scum raped.

Everyone else involved who turned a blind eye should be publicly identified and villified.

You think this is blood lust? Wait until this POS rapist lands in prison. Ever heard what happens to child molesters in the slammer?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Until he then saw the guy again and that guy wasn't in jail. At that point, he became complicit. Why are we having this conversation still?

If you saw that, and then saw the guy around later, you would know that something isn't right. If you did nothing at that point, you are then in on not doing the right thing. Period.
    Is it possible that he thought his superiors did investigate and they didn't find anything worth taking any further. Honestly, without Mike McQueary to come forward to give a statement to the police on what he saw, everyone else's hands were somewhat tied as far as what they could do. The major outrage here has to be toward Sandusky, but second to be culpable for the now reported 20 victims would have to be McQueary.

Why did McQueary go to his father and not directly to the police?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ing-penn-state

One thing you have to remember is that McQueary grew up in Happy Valley. His family lived around and knew the Paterno and Sandusky families. He went to school with their kids. I don't know how close Mr. McQueary was (is) to Sandusky, but you have to consider that not only had Sandusky been his coach, he was also a father to kids that he grew up with from the time he was a child. I'm not excusing his actions, not at all, but I think there needs to be some digging here to find out WHY McQueary first didn't decide to go to the police, and then secondly why his father also didn't direct him to report it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Just read the Grand Jury report. Apparently the campus police had investigated him, and told him not to shower anymore with boys. Un.Believ.Able.

How many different people were protecting this garbage? I'd have a hard time believing this if it were a movie script, let alone real life.

Turn Off Ads?