Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Podsednick

Scott Podsednick

Here is yet another musing on how Scott Podsednick is a good fit for the Reds who 'need a leadoff batter for left field'. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...ee-agents.html
    I keep reading these speculations & the more I read them the more I get that slight nausea feeling rising up from my stomach. Please Walt: NO!!!!!!!!!!

1) he was a 0.4 WAR player last year
    2) in the last 4 years he has a total of 0.9 WAR
    3) he has no power
    4) if he could play a strong centerfield he would have some value. however, he isn't a good defender even in left
    5) Lance Nix ( 2.6 WAR total over the last two years) is a better player than Podsednick & I want a guy like Lance on the bench not as a starter
    6) in short he would not help the team

The Reds need strong offensive production from whoever plays left field. Its left field not shortstop. Its one of THE key spots where a team needs a thumper. At a minimum we need a LH version of Gomes to make a platoon (and I would like to aim higher than that).

Lets all hope Walt is a lot smarter than all the folks in the media who seem to think the Reds should get Podsednick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Podsednick

Last year he had a 1.8 WAR, according to Fangraphs.

I am not sure what happened to Scotty Pods in '06,'07, and '08, but he really fell off and fell off quick. However the last 2 seasons, he has been a .4 WAR player and a 1.8 WAR player. His production really fell off once he came to the Dodgers, and it seems over his career he has played much, much better in the AL vs. the NL. While I am not supporting the acquisition of Podsednik to fill our LF hole, he is not nearly as bad as the OP is making him seem. There are worse alternatives, but wouldn't spend more than 2 mil on a shot at Podsednik.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I want no part of Podsednik. I was hoping he would remain with the Dodgers just so it would eliminate any chance of the Reds signing him.

I think Walt is smart enough to avoid Posednick.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I think Walt is smart enough to avoid Posednick.
    I agree, but I'm not 100% sure. *cough*Taveras*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I agree, but I'm not 100% sure. *cough*Taveras*cough*
    Taveras was a plus defending CF. Pods is a poor defending LF.

Pods' WAR per fangraphs:
    2007: -0.1
    2008: -0.4
    2009: 1.8
    2010: 0.4
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Taveras was a plus defending CF. Pods is a poor defending LF.

Pods' WAR per fangraphs:
    2007: -0.1
    2008: -0.4
    2009: 1.8
    2010: 0.4
    What makes you think he is a poor fielder in LF?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Ever watch him play? I'll take Gomes. Or Dunn. He's a better defender than 2005 and later Griffey (the worst I've ever seen IMO). Overall, he's better than Willy. After that, please keep this guy away from our team.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Ever watch him play? I'll take Gomes. Or Dunn. He's a better defender than 2005 and later Griffey (the worst I've ever seen IMO). Overall, he's better than Willy. After that, please keep this guy away from our team.
    I haven't watched him enough to make any comment on his fielding, to be honest. I'm curious as to the outright hatred for this guy.

I've watched him play LF many times both in person and on TV. UZR thinks he's performed poorly. The Fans Scouting Report has him at exactly average. The only thing he does well is run fast.

Perhaps "poor" is too strong. How about below average? Mediocre? Does it matter?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I've never been overly impressed with Podsednik's defense. His arm is among the worst in all of baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I've watched him play LF many times both in person and on TV. UZR thinks he's performed poorly. The Fans Scouting Report has him at exactly average. The only thing he does well is run fast.

Perhaps "poor" is too strong. How about below average? Mediocre? Does it matter?
    I think those words are pretty different.

UZR shows him as "poor" only last year, looking fairly average on the whole (if I am reading that correctly).. If he is in fact average then characterizing him as poor is pretty inaccurate, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I want no part of Podsednik. I was hoping he would remain with the Dodgers just so it would eliminate any chance of the Reds signing him.
    So was I.

I think those words are pretty different.

UZR shows him as "poor" only last year, looking fairly average on the whole (if I am reading that correctly).. If he is in fact average then characterizing him as poor is pretty inaccurate, IMO.
    He is a below average defensive outfielder.

Don't be fooled by seeing him make a diving catch every now and then. his speed has kept him from being down right awful. He gets a bad jump on the ball off the bat, he takes bad routs to the ball and he has a noodle arm.

As for outright hatred I don't think any of us want him to burn in hell. We just don't want him in a Reds uniform.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-09-2010 at 03:50 AM.

Turn Off Ads?