Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So where are we trying to upgrade again?

So where are we trying to upgrade again?

The starting pitching as been pretty solid all season (w/ exception to April) and the offense has been good all season long (shutouts happen, especially against Halladay).

So where are the glaring needs that need to be addressed. Obviously the bullpen needs another reliever or three. Getting Soria from Kansas City or Marmol from Chicago (not sure they would trade within the division) would be ideal.

We could probably use an upgrade on the bench (got to get rid of Nix) and ideally in CF (but I don't see that happening).

So where do we go from here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So where are we trying to upgrade again?

Need to:
    downgrade Gomes
    Upgrade Heisey
    DFA Nix
    Bring up Dorn
    Find another reliever or 2.

I'd like to steal a good hitting shortstop from somebody. Relief pitching obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM13 View Post
    I'd like to steal a good hitting shortstop from somebody. Relief pitching obviously.
    oh how did I forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Need to:
    downgrade Gomes
    Upgrade Heisey
    DFA Nix
    Bring up Dorn
    Find another reliever or 2.
    - Move Harang to the pen, maybe as closer
    - Move Maloney to pen when Volquez is back
    - DFA Cordero or use his as emergency relief if losing games

BTW this team is good, but it needs some major help in a couple areas to be good enough. I like the roster for the most part. I dont even mind Cabrera that much, he needs to get time off more, but Nix doesnt hit righties that well, and Heisey plays just as good or better D. Reds dont have any LH power on the bench. Dorn would easily fix that, and he plays first base and LF.

First off, we all know Cabrera isn't going anywhere. He's exactly the kind of player Baker loves -- veteran and "knows how to win." Considering are position in the standings, I don't think he'll risk "changing the chemistry."

Gomes was due for a slump. He was playing out of his mind in the 1st half, but he's still a good hitter and you can't take him out of the lineup.

And CF is an issue -- it's just a matter of whether the option is in-house or elsewhere. Is Stubbs the guy? Heisey? I'm not sure what the deal is why Grady Sizemore (is he still hurt?) but that's a great opportunity to buy low (though I doubt Shapiro would trade him).

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveWilly View Post
    - Move Harang to the pen, maybe as closer
    - Move Maloney to pen when Volquez is back
    - DFA Cordero or use his as emergency relief if losing games
    If Maloney can't even put away Johan Santana there is noway he will be able to get outs in the pen. Maloney will go back down right after his start tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    If Maloney can't even put away Johan Santana there is noway he will be able to get outs in the pen. Maloney will go back down right after his start tomorrow.
    So you're saying he'll fit right in with our current pen?

I don't think Maloney is good, I'm just sick of this crap bullpen. The BEST solution is to just go out and get good cheap pen help thru trade, which shouldn't be that difficult going towards the deadline.

I don't think Maloney would see much success transitioning to the pen. Ideal candidates usually need to have the ability to K. Maloney would only be a decent mop-up/long relief role. We already have Owings for that so it looks like Maloney is an odd man out.

Quote Originally Posted by BringDownMugabe View Post
    I don't think Maloney would see much success transitioning to the pen. Ideal candidates usually need to have the ability to K. Maloney would only be a decent mop-up/long relief role. We already have Owings for that so it looks like Maloney is an odd man out.
    I guess we could trade him for a reliever. Relief pitching is usually CHEAP. If you don't think so, look at some of the stuff we got for past solid relief guys we've had. We basically have given up every reliever we've had that has been decent the past few years for a PTBNL type or cash considerations. There should be plenty of teams out there like that willing to unload a solid reliever for little to nothing like that.

Who did we get for David Weathers?

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Who did we get for David Weathers?
    A PTBNL that later changed into cash last I remember. And I can't even think of a single decent prospect out of all the relievers we've traded over the years at the deadline, guys like Weathers and Mercker who were very solid.

cough...David DeJesus...cough...number 2 hitter...cough...high OBP...cough...just what this team needs in front of Votto and Rolen...cough...can play center and left...cough

Damn, this cold.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    cough...David DeJesus...cough...number 2 hitter...cough...high OBP...cough...just what this team needs in front of Votto and Rolen...cough...can play center and left...cough

Damn, this cold.
    I keep saying go get him. I would love to have him.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Turn Off Ads?