Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Official 2011 Draft Day 2 Thread

Re: Official 2011 Draft Day 2 Thread

2. Why do Buckley & co. love college relievers so much? Four of the top 10 picks either were or project to bullpen arms. IMO that's not how a small market team like the Reds unlock value through the draft.
    Less wear and tear. College starters can get abused pretty bad.

I like drafting HS players after the top 10 rounds because I believe there is so much more upside/value. Those are frequently guys that will be first and second round picks 2-3 years from now.
    "Frequently" is a vast overstatement here. If this were true, high schoolers would dominate the early rounds of the draft. The truth is that these selections offer a little more hope than college guys drafted in similar rounds, but not a lot.

Anthony Cingrani - somewhere between Matt Anderson (actual career not potential) and David Aardsma
    Rangy lefty more like Matt Thornton or Jeremy Affeldt, perhaps.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Agree with your point 100%, and I would add Covington to this list as well.
    Yep, and Costello.

Jake Arrieta, Nick Markakis and Devin Marrero are three recent Reds examples of this phenomenon. My hope is that Kyle Waldrop from last year and some of these guys this year will be examples of the good that happens when the Reds do sign these types of picks.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Less wear and tear. College starters can get abused pretty bad.
    Yes but usually significantly less upside IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

Didn't realize he was lefty. Perhaps Jeff Niemann?
    Niemann's a righty. Cingrani looks like a bullpenner right now, but I'm sure the organization will consider his starting potential, since he did some of that (unsuccessfully, but with a different delivery) at Rice.

Yes but usually significantly less upside IMO.
    Best to judge on a case by case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Niemann's a righty. Cingrani looks like a bullpenner right now, but I'm sure the organization will consider his starting potential, since he did some of that (unsuccessfully, but with a different delivery) at Rice.
    Yep, I deleted. Brain fart.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...-st-johns-mlb/

a source close to the family said if Garrett was selected in the first seven rounds and offered a bonus of around $1.5 million, he would "drop everything" and enter the minors.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1OdLFyTcX
    So would I, so would I.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Speaking of Lucas O'Rear, anyone know what the deal with him is? He's not on a full-season club. He'd need to move quickly starting 2011 at Billings and being 22 going on 23.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Speaking of Lucas O'Rear, anyone know what the deal with him is? He's not on a full-season club. He'd need to move quickly starting 2011 at Billings and being 22 going on 23.
    http://www.northern-iowan.org/breaki...nkle-1.2457337

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Ah, didn't know that. We'll see if he's ready for the beginning of the Billings season in a couple of weeks. If it's just a small crack, it should be okay with four-plus months of healing time.

Turn Off Ads?