Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Re: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The Reds picks so far have a "safe and fast" feel to them
    Exactly the opposite of what I wanted - unless it was a (real) SS.

With all the arms in AA, coupled with the current state of the rotation, we don't really need fast moving arms.
    And with a crowded 3B organizational depth chart, coupled with Frazier firmly entrenched there, it doesn't seem that we need fast moving 3B. Or 1B. Or C. MI and LF is another story.

I always prefer to go for upside, even if it's a longer ways away.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

malcontent (06-06-2014),New Fever (06-05-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Always a silly exercise to grade a baseball draft before 3-4 years out, but because this is a messageboard I'll give today's effort a C- for the Reds. I like the Sparks pick, and will blindly trust Buckley on Nick Howard, although there were other players (especially hitters) I liked better at that spot. Blandino seems like a pretty weak -if not predictable- pick from Buckley. By and large, I was hoping for a better haul coming out of today.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. Certainly have been in the past.
    Go BLUE!!!

Every year, there are guys everyone prays drop to the Reds slot, and every year, some of the, do, and every year, the Reds pass on them and pick someone no one expected. And so far, they have all worked out okay.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

SirFelixCat (06-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    A closer and a utility infielder. This is an F- draft

Just quoting for posterity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    The Reds can NEVER AGAIN say they have a BPA approach in the draft. Pathetic.
    This one too.

Passing on Gatewood is just horrible. Not to mention Harrison, Gettys, Reed, Ortiz, etc. They reached for Blandino, period. Why not get Wall if your gonna get an INF?
    Who is this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Man, Billings and Dayton are going to be pretty bland next year. I'd imagine as advanced college players, all three of today's draftees should be in Bakersfield to start 2015, if not sooner.
    I could see Howard moving fairly quickly but the Reds have been fairly conservative with their college hitters, so I'd be surprised if Blandino or Sparks were in Bakersfield at the start of 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    and pick someone no one expected. And so far, they have all worked out okay.
    Gelalich and lamarre say hello

11. Likes:

malcontent (06-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd have gone:

19. Harrison
    29. Spencer Adams, RHP
    58. Josh Morgan, SS

One thing I think we can definitively say about Buckley is he leans toward college bats instead of HS bats with his top picks.
    Yep, and the irony is the (only?) two times he picked a HS bat in the first round, they were the two best bats he's ever picked - Mesoraco and Winker. Throw in Billy Hamilton as the lone second rounder, and he is 3-for-3 on high school bats if you look at the 2006-2010 drafts.

The only college bat he has taken in the top two rounds that has worked out well was Todd Frazier. Maybe Grandal, but we'll see. Stubbs, Alonso, Gelalich, LaMarre, Cozart -at least offensively- are all nothing but mehhhh...

You'd think there might be some kind of lesson there.

(I am reserving judgment on the last three drafts, as the jury is still out on guys like Rosa, Rahier and Franklin. Ervin too, to be fair.)
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-06-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I could see Howard moving fairly quickly but the Reds have been fairly conservative with their college hitters, so I'd be surprised if Blandino or Sparks were in Bakersfield at the start of 2015.
    That's true, although since they started being conservative with the college hitters, they haven't worked out very well. Five years ago, they started guys like Alonso and Grandal out in high A. The slow plays with the Ervin/Gelalich/LaMarre/Lohman bunch haven't worked out so well so far.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Gelalich and lamarre say hello
    Okay. Hi.

Was just talking about their first pick.

Brewers are drafting exactly like the Reds should have:

Mederios
    Gatewood
    Monte Harrison
    Because they drafted names you've heard of before this week and were ranked a few spots higher on the subjective ranking charts by guys who don't have as high of accuracy at predicting success as the people who are employed by baseball clubs?

Honestly, and we're all guilty of it, any celebrating or criticizing of a draft at this point in the process is utterly baseless. It's wholly based on whether we've convinced ourselves certain names sound like guys that will wind up being stars based on the limited scouting reports we've seen.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Because they drafted names you've heard of before this week and were ranked a few spots higher on the subjective ranking charts by guys who don't have as high of accuracy at predicting success as the people who are employed by baseball clubs?

Honestly, and we're all guilty of it, any celebrating or criticizing of a draft at this point in the process is utterly baseless. It's wholly based on whether we've convinced ourselves certain names sound like guys that will wind up being stars based on the limited scouting reports we've seen.
    You do know there's hours of video and pages of articles on the top 200 picks, right? It's quite the leap to just assume anyone just picks names off a list and likes the sound of them. Maybe a lot do. But do consider the broad stroke brush your painting with.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

Look at the pre-draft lists from a few years ago, and you'll never get upset over a draft pick again. After the few picks, it's a big old crapshoot.

18. Likes:

Brutus (06-06-2014),WrongVerb (06-06-2014)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I detest Buckley's drafts. ANOTHER RHH 3B??? Jeezus.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-06-2014 at 01:21 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I didn't read the whole thread. Did anyone say "Nooooooooooooooooo"? Just wondering.

Seriously, three college players shows me that Walt wants talent at the upper levels soon, to advance to the Reds and to trade.

I have no real way to judge the individuals, but this draft conveys more urgency than some past drafts.

21. Likes:

HokieRed (06-06-2014)

Turn Off Ads?