Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

What's the point in the Reds even playing baseball if Tony Cingrani isn't pitching?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

coachpipe (05-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    I'm not saying it won't happen, but sending Cingrani down would enrage many fans and stir up media criticism.

It would also put some pressure on Leake with calls for Cingrani to be called up whenever Leake has a bad game. It would be like batting your worst hitter second in the lineup every night. It puts him under the microscope.
    Agreed. It pressures the player in question and every mistake made will be scrutinized a lot more than it should be. Everytime Stubbs struck out last year was debated and argued all over the internet, tv, and radio. People love the new guy especially when the old one is not performing and the new one is.

Last year we were calling for Stubbs' head after every strikeout. I sort of felt bad for the guy. I know it is hard to come out of a slump, but the added pressure of knowing everyone wants you gone makes it a lot harder.
    In fact, people were calling for Billy to be called up and start right away. Now, we have Choo and the Billy talk has significantly diminished.

When Cueto is ready to come back, Leake is going to have to throw a no hitter or someting because a lot of fans are going to be calling for Cingrani to stay. Every hit and run that Leake gives up will be overly criticized. Leake does add some offense with his ability to hit the ball and I think that makes him a good candidate for a long reliever out of the 'pen. I say that we release Parra or Simon to make room for Leake to go to the 'pen.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

5. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (05-03-2013)

[ItTE=Tom Servo;2846641]What's the point in the Reds even playing baseball if Tony Cingrani isn't pitching?[/QUOTE]

This. Going Saturday To See It.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    How do you figure that? His three year period was up on April 5. They sent him down before that and it was fine under the rules. Unless there is a part of the rule I'm missing, it's now been over three years since he first appeared in the majors and he needs to give his permission.

You may be right, but the way I read the rules says not since April 5, 2013.
    Oh, my fault if this is true. I (incorrectly) presumed that since the Reds were able to send Ondrusek down to begin the season without his permission that they could do the same now. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think we are assuming too much in assuming that Leake definitely won't grant the Reds permission to send him down to the minors.

First, he gets paid the same no matter what this season. It might delay when he becomes a free agent, if the assignment is longer than 20 days, but odds are good that it wouldn't last that long, considering how often pitchers get injured. And even then, that's not money lost, it's money delayed.
    But look at it from Leake's point of view.
    If I'm Leake and I'm asked to be demoted, why would I accept and risk being stranded down there all year?
    Leake really has not been that bad. 2 of his 5 starts have been good.
    His overall track record for a 5th starter has been great over his career.
    He's a major league pitcher, no denying that.
    Why in the world would he want to risk spending the rest of the year in Louisville, hoping someone gets hurt or hoping Cingrani implodes? Leake was shuttled to the minors and moved to the bullpen when he was the younger guy.. no why should he accomodate the younger Cingrani?

You mention the desire to be on a winning team, but the Reds left Leake off the playoff roster last year, and if everyone is healthy, he may get left off again by the same logic as last season..

If I was Leake, I'd welcome going to Miami. He becomes their #2 or #3, builds up his service time and then he can become a FA in 3 years (I think that's right, but the point is, he doesn't delay FA by a year). Why damage his resume by being sent to Louisville?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Looks like Cingrani is going to get some more starts

@johnfayman
    Cueto scratched from rehab start due to soreness discovered during yesterday's exam

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Looks like Cingrani is going to get some more starts

@johnfayman
    Cueto scratched from rehab start due to soreness discovered during yesterday's exam
    That is not good. I'm afraid this is going to be problematic with JC.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    That is not good. I'm afraid this is going to be problematic with JC.
    While it does suck, I will gladly take a non-arm related issue over an arm related one every day.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What's the point in the Reds even playing baseball if Tony Cingrani isn't pitching?
    Let he who is without Cingrani cast the first stone.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

14. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (05-03-2013),Tom Servo (05-03-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Let he who is without Cingrani cast the first stone.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I deserved that.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Please stop catching Corky Miller with Cingrani. I saw him set up twice for fastballs down the middle of the plate to Soriano. Cingrani hit Miller's mitt both times with sniper precision.....yet both pitches went for home runs. After the first HR I couldn't believe Corky did it again.
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-05-2013 at 04:37 AM.

I was actually impressed with Cingrani yesterday. He clearly didn't have his good stuff, his location was off and his breaking pitch was sloppy. But he battled, and kept the Reds in the game. He displayed a very high TWTW stat
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

So does Cingrani know how to throw anything other than a fastball? I mean his breaking stuff looked pretty awful.

An while he has explosive deception, speed wise, 94-96 is still major league hitting speed. If he was topping 99-100, than that's another story.

But this dude really needs to develop a full repetoire, other than fastball, fastball, fastball, fastball, fastball, fastball, crappy breaking pitch, fastball, fastball

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Cingrani will be sent down I predict and that is okay by me. Reds don't have great SP depth in the upper minors behind Cingrani. Let him continue to develop at AAA and when the season is up, the Reds can let Arroyo walk and bring him up next year.

I really do not think Cingrani can sustain what he's done to date and I don't think whether or not the Reds make the playoffs this year will be determined by Cingrani pitching the entire year at the Show vs. Leake doing the same.

This is a great problem to have.
    Good post, and I agree.

I (we) don't know if Cingrani is/is not going to sustain what he has done to date. The good, or bad, news (depending on how one looks at it) is that it appears, with Johnny's set back, we're probably going to get to see this kid pitch (IMO) well into June at least.

So there really is no dire need (rush) to have to make some sort of decision on this kid ... especially where it involves Leake.... when we don't have to. Lets just sit back, observe, wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    I'm not saying it won't happen, but sending Cingrani down would enrage many fans and stir up media criticism.
    The problem with a lot of fans though (not all), is that their responses are based far more on "spur of the moment" emotion more then anything else. Pretty superficial IMO. I don't say that to be arrogant, or some sort of know-it-all; but I've come to realize there are two types of fans. Both obviously "follow" baseball. But those fans, like those that participate on forums like these, love to get involved in discussions, take it a step further because they "dig" a little deeper, more in-depth, as far as oversight/analysis goes. We "live" for baseball. It's a passion (obsession), in comparison to the "casual" fan.

As for the media? They're like movie critics. I could care less. They earn their pay being controversial and trying to stir things up.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-05-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?