Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA legalizes traveling

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA legalizes traveling

Yea, that's just putting into writing what has been in practice as long as I have followed the NBA, giving rise to comments while watching HS or NCAA bball "hey, ref, this isn't the NBA" when a guy takes some extra steps and the call isn't made.

It is no coincidence that the "two steps" in the NBA took off when teams started playing defense in the 1990's. It is an evolution of the game like the baseball strike zone, which doesn't resemble the rulebook in any capacity. As an aside, here is the official wording of the strike zone in baseball

The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a
    horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter’s stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.
    When was the last time an umpire called a strike at the letters? Every sport has its rules that are "ignored". Basketball is simply admitting it.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    It is no coincidence that the "two steps" in the NBA took off when teams started playing defense in the 1990's.
    It has been around in my memory, spanning back to the early 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    But, I think people really starting complaining about it and noticing in the '90's. In my opinion, it really took off when the league became more guard/slasher oriented (aka w/ Jordan).

But, I think people really starting complaining about it and noticing in the '90's. In my opinion, it really took off when the league became more guard/slasher oriented (aka w/ Jordan).
    Ever seen Dr. J glide to the rim?

The players over the past few decades have acted as though traveling was allowed but defense was illegal.

I should actually keep my mouth shut because I haven't watched an NBA game in probably a dozen years...

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    The players over the past few decades have acted as though traveling was allowed but defense was illegal.

I should actually keep my mouth shut because I haven't watched an NBA game in probably a dozen years...
    Sounds like my POV on both points.

Clyde doesn't like it either
    "They go 20 feet to the hoop without dribbling one time," Frazier said. "This is what they are getting away with nowadays. Some of them are so obvious. You'll hear me on the broadcast saying 'That's a travel! Watch the feet!' Wilt [Chamberlain] would have averaged 100 points a game if they had let him do that.

NBA basketball is absolutely horrible. It isn't even real basketball. If you want to watch ridiculous athletes play one on one it's fine, but it's not basketball. I guess this play is officially allowed now, instead of being unofficially allowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6DxHsEOJGs

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Clyde doesn't like it either
    Clyde sounds like one of the baseball old timers getting self-righteous about the current game. The travelling thing really hasn't changed, and that includes his days, at least when my memory picks up in the early 70s.

Clyde sounds like one of the baseball old timers getting self-righteous about the current game. The travelling thing really hasn't changed, and that includes his days, at least when my memory picks up in the early 70s.
    And that was when guard play started to become a bigger part of the game.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I think they should just outlaw dribbling altogether. Give them three or four steps before they have to dispose of the ball. It's the natural evolution of the game. :ughmamoru
    I haven't watched a whole NBA game in decades. Every time I catch a game on TV when there's nothing else on, I have to hurl sometime within the first two or three minutes.
    :thumbdown

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I think they should just outlaw dribbling altogether. Give them three or four steps before they have to dispose of the ball. It's the natural evolution of the game. :ughmamoru
    I haven't watched a whole NBA game in decades. Every time I catch a game on TV when there's nothing else on, I have to hurl sometime within the first two or three minutes.
    :thumbdown
    How can you watch '00's baseball? The lack of fundamentals, the pathetically shrunken strike-zone. All sports change, and I see the travelling thing as an evolution of the game.

How can you watch '00's baseball? The lack of fundamentals, the pathetically shrunken strike-zone. All sports change, and I see the travelling thing as an evolution of the game.
    The change in baseball compared to most other sports--especially basketball--is minuscule...

It was there in the late 60's. Selectively enforced though. The superstars got 2 steps, everyone else got 1 1/2 steps and the 1/2 step was a maybe. RHIP.

One thing I've noticed about baseball while watching older games on MLB Network, the checked swing strike used to be called on intent, not if the bat went over the plate. It used to be if a guy tried to check his swing, it was a ball. First few times I saw it, I yelled at the TV "ump, he went around!" (which is really silly when you consider the game happened 40+ years ago and 1/2 of the guys in it are dead).

And I like the NBA. The game has changed, so what? College will adopt this 2 step rule within 5 years. They allow it to an extent now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?