Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Didi Gregorius

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Didi Gregorius

Yes it did. But as long as we make the qualifying offer...we're covered. If he takes it, GREAT! If not, then we get the extra pick.

2. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (06-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    One difference is that Cozart became a major league regular at age 26, Didi looks like he's going to do so at 23.
    From a player career evaluation this matters a lot. Those extra 3 years of development at the major league level and the counting stats mean that Didi is almost certain to have a better career than Cozart.

For the reds they would only control either player for 6 years before they are paying free agent prices.

Keep a "sure thing" and get his peak years or hope that Didi can contribute and learn and peak and then get too expensive to keep. Since they are in win now mode, I'm not sure this matters that much from their point of view. I could be convinced I'm mistaken.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

5. Likes:

REDREAD (05-08-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Choo had very little value to the Indians.
    You don't measure a player's trade value based on how much value a player has to his current team. You measure it based on how much value he has to other teams.

If the Houston Astros has #1 starter who was a FA to be, would you say he had little trade value becuase Houston was a last place team and the #1 starter therefore had little real value to them?

Of course not, he value would be based on his value to contenders.

7. Likes:

remdog (06-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You don't measure a player's trade value based on how much value a player has to his current team. You measure it based on how much value he has to other teams.

If the Houston Astros has #1 starter who was a FA to be, would you say he had little trade value becuase Houston was a last place team and the #1 starter therefore had little real value to them?

Of course not, he value would be based on his value to contenders.
    It's both. If other teams sense that the Tribe wanted to dump Choo then the asking price would go down. In this case, the fact that Choo is only signed for one yr and plans to test free agency, that negatively affects his value too

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    From a player career evaluation this matters a lot. Those extra 3 years of development at the major league level and the counting stats mean that Didi is almost certain to have a better career than Cozart.

For the reds they would only control either player for 6 years before they are paying free agent prices.

Keep a "sure thing" and get his peak years or hope that Didi can contribute and learn and peak and then get too expensive to keep. Since they are in win now mode, I'm not sure this matters that much from their point of view. I could be convinced I'm mistaken.
    If Cozart really is a .200 hitter then the Reds made a miscalculation. They should have hung onto Didi

If Cozart really is a .200 hitter then the Reds made a miscalculation. They should have hung onto Didi
    Especially if Didi comes with ten years of team control!

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Especially if Didi comes with ten years of team control!
    Joey Votto came with what 15 yrs of control? He's never been a free agent. What's your hangup on 10? Pick a number. If you prefer 7 (6 yrs plus the partial 2013) then fine.

Joey Votto came with what 15 yrs of control? He's never been a free agent. What's your hangup on 10? Pick a number. If you prefer 7 (6 yrs plus the partial 2013) then fine.
    No Joey Votto came with six years of team control prior to signing an extension, just as Didi Gregorious did when the Reds traded him. Assuming a player will sign an extension is a foolish endeavor...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 05-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.

No Joey Votto came with six years of team control prior to signing an extension, just as Didi Gregorious did when the Reds traded him. Assuming a player will sign an extension is a foolish endeavor...
    We all understand the FA rules. My point is that it is an advantage for a team to retain a player when it comes to negotiating future contracts. Do you think the Reds would have been successful in signing Votto if he was playing for another team? I think not. If we'd traded Votto for Eric Bedard years ago we never would have seen him back in a Reds uni. If Didi turns out to be a wonderful player, I'm betting Bob C would have offered him a contract too good to refuse before FA ever hit. Don't get so hung up on the definition of controlling a player. Suffice to say we could have had Didi for "many" years

We all understand the FA rules. My point is that it is an advantage for a team to retain a player when it comes to negotiating future contracts. Do you think the Reds would have been successful in signing Votto if he was playing for another team? I think not. If we'd traded Votto for Eric Bedard years ago we never would have seen him back in a Reds uni. If Didi turns out to be a wonderful player, I'm betting Bob C would have offered him a contract too good to refuse before FA ever hit. Don't get so hung up on the definition of controlling a player. Suffice to say we could have had Didi for "many" years
    Sure. I don't disagree.

But based on one month of the 2013 season I'm not ready to say Gregorious is a guy I want for ten years. Lets be a little more patient...

debating adding him to my fantasy team(to replace rollins)...stubbs as well to replace (bj upton)

Sure. I don't disagree.

But based on one month of the 2013 season I'm not ready to say Gregorious is a guy I want for ten years. Lets be a little more patient...
    If we were to be basing a ten year forecast on 2013 I would say Didi is a talented player who will be hurt alot and seldom see the field as a result. He had the arm issue during the off season, then started the season on the DL for something else and then is back on the DL with a concussion. Good thing decisions aren't made on such small sample sizes.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Ah yes, another future HOFer thread.

They never get old.

Is anyone going to mention that Didi never hit much in the minors, and his early surge is not sustainable? He's a fine prospect, ranked around bottom of top 100.

Those guys don't fetch you much more than a year of an all-star type of player. Cozart wasn't getting Choo. Everyone loved the Choo trade until Did had like 7 good at-bats, and watched Choo play in the OF. It was a win now move at a position of depth. Cozart in long run is an adequate starter with minimal upside. He's better than he's shown this year, but yes, he's a flawed player, just like he was last year.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-08-2013)

It's both. If other teams sense that the Tribe wanted to dump Choo then the asking price would go down. In this case, the fact that Choo is only signed for one yr and plans to test free agency, that negatively affects his value too
    Sure, which is why Cleveland was willing to settle for a package of Stubbs and Gregorious instead of the king's ransom he would have brought if he was under team control at a reasonable price for the next three or four seasons.

Turn Off Ads?