Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Targets and Trade Rumors

Trade Targets and Trade Rumors

I figured instead of starting a new thread everytime there is a Reds related rumor leading up to the deadline, this is a good place to post them.

The Reds have already been tied to Juan Pierre, and the latest name mentioned with the Reds is Carlos Quentin.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...-about-quentin

Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin, who just may be the best hitter dealt this month, has drawn trade interest from the Reds, Indians and Pirates, among others, according to sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Trade Rumors

I guess anything that would either put Phillips back in the leadoff spot or get this team a different leadoff hitter would be deemed an upgrade.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Reds are in a tough spot they have really depleted their farm system so they aren't really in a position to further dip into that talent base, yet they do have some holes to fill if they intend to contend for a world series. So they have some serious questions to answer, sooner rather than later.

Their farm has three top-notch starting prospects in AA (and a fourth that's intriguing). They also have two major league-ready bullpen arms in AAA that are dominating. They've just promoted a guy to AAA who plays both 2B and 3B and has a lifetime minor league BA over .310.

None of this mentions their best prospect, a SS who's stolen 100 bases in half a season and has an obp well over .400.

It's not the best farm system in the world, but it's not some talent in it that can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Reds are in a tough spot they have really depleted their farm system so they aren't really in a position to further dip into that talent base, yet they do have some holes to fill if they intend to contend for a world series. So they have some serious questions to answer, sooner rather than later.
    There is plenty left to make a move if Walt has the will - might not be quite as sex as many would like, but a deal can be done and needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    The organizational depth has certainly taken a hit with the recent trades, but in his midseason update of the top 120 prospects, John Sickels had 5 Reds listed (Billy Hamilton and 4 pitchers). That seems to indicate the Reds could put together a pretty decent package of prospects if they really want to get a deal done. I'd be interested in knowing which teams match up best with the Reds in terms of the prospects the Reds have and the positional needs of the other teams.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Carlos Quentin's slash line since June 8:

.200/.364/.306/.670

He came off the DL and was scorching hot, then he slumped. He's still in that funk.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Hamilton is pretty high profile right now. I believe he might be the component that could bring one of the highest profile trade targets at this point. His speed is so intriguing.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Carlos Quentin's slash line since June 8:

.200/.364/.306/.670

He came off the DL and was scorching hot, then he slumped. He's still in that funk.
    I think the move from Petco Park to GABP would go a long way toward curing that funk.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Hamilton is pretty high profile right now. I believe he might be the component that could bring one of the highest profile trade targets at this point. His speed is so intriguing.
    I'd be absolutely amazed if Hamilton were traded. He is going to be an exciting ballplayer and potentially a huge attraction. I don't think he is going any place except Pensacola, Louisville, and then Cincinnati.

And even if the Reds would consider such a trade, they aren't trading Hamilton for a Carlos Quentin or even a Justin Upton, who the DBacks are suddenly so willing to trade off. Billy is a unique type player and the Reds would demand a king's ransom for him now, which, of course they won't get.

And consider that Hamilton, with his exciting play and incredible baserunning ability, would be cheap and under the Reds' control for years. He is very, very valuable. No way the Reds trade him now for Upton and his big long-term contract.

If Hamilton continues to progress, he will bring the Reds a very good player and lots of exposure, fans in the seats, national TV, and the like. If the Reds have any sense of marketing their product and economics, which I believe they do, Billy is going nowhere except up the Reds' chain.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-10-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'd be absolutely amazed if Hamilton were traded. He is going to be an exciting ballplayer and potentially a huge attraction. I don't think he is going any place except Pensacola, Louisville, and then Cincinnati.

And even if the Reds would consider such a trade, they aren't trading Hamilton for a Carlos Quentin or even a Justin Upton, who the DBacks are suddenly so willing to trade off. Billy is a unique type player and the Reds would demand a king's ransom for him now, which, of course they won't get.

And consider that Hamilton, with his exciting play and incredible baserunning ability, would be cheap and under the Reds' control for years. He is very, very valuable. No way the Reds trade him now for Upton and his big long-term contract.

If Hamilton continues to progress, he will bring the Reds a very good player and lots of exposure, fans in the seats, national TV, and the like. If the Reds have any sense of marketing their product and economics, which I believe they do, Billy is going nowhere except up the Reds' chain.
    I agree with your comments on Billy Hamilton being a valuable marketing chip in addition to a great prospect, although I believe if the Reds could trade him straight up for Justin Upton they would do it in a heartbeat. I think it will take much more than Billy Hamilton for the Reds to land Upton however.

I don't think the Diamondbacks are "suddenly so willing to trade off" Justin Upton. They are willing to test the market and see if they can score a huge haul of talent in return. I don't think there is anything major physically wrong with him other than a couple nagging injuries. I know he and hard-nosed manager Kirk Gibson have had a couple of spats, so this could just be a signal to Upton that he better keep in line or he could be shipped out -- as if being traded would hurt Upton's feelings at all. Upton is one of the absolute best young talents in the game, and I am sure the Reds would love to acquire him if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I agree with your comments on Billy Hamilton being a valuable marketing chip in addition to a great prospect, although I believe if the Reds could trade him straight up for Justin Upton they would do it in a heartbeat. I think it will take much more than Billy Hamilton for the Reds to land Upton however.

I don't think the Diamondbacks are "suddenly so willing to trade off" Justin Upton. They are willing to test the market and see if they can score a huge haul of talent in return. I don't think there is anything major physically wrong with him other than a couple nagging injuries. I know he and hard-nosed manager Kirk Gibson have had a couple of spats, so this could just be a signal to Upton that he better keep in line or he could be shipped out -- as if being traded would hurt Upton's feelings at all. Upton is one of the absolute best young talents in the game, and I am sure the Reds would love to acquire him if they can.
    I don't know, to me, the DBacks testing the waters on an Upton trade is a big red flag.

The DBacks are still in contention, particularly with two wild card spots. They are one game under five hundred and only four out of first in the West. If they are considering trading Upton, it would raise a major concern on my part as to what is really going on.

I know Upton's pedigree and that he is a top young talent, but my instinct is the Reds will hold onto Hamilton. He's just a unique type player. Even if Upton grades out higher as an all around player, and I'm sure Upton does, I think the Reds will pass if Billy is involved.

I take your point, and you may well be correct, I think this is a "buy beware" situation and the Reds won't bite unless Upton comes at a serious discount.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-10-2012 at 12:57 AM.

I don't know, to me, the DBacks testing the waters on an Upton trade is a big red flag.

The DBacks are still in contention, particularly with two wild card spots. They are one game under five hundred and only four out of first in the West. If they are considering trading Upton, it would raise a major concern on my part as to what is really going on.

I know Upton's pedigree and that he is a top young talent, but my instinct is the Reds will hold onto Hamilton. He's just a unique type player. Even if Upton grades out higher as an all around player, I think the Reds will pass if Billy is involved.

I take your point, and you may well be correct, I think this is a "buy beware" situation and the Reds won't bite unless Upton comes at a serious discount.
    I agree it is highly unlikely to happen, but fun to discuss nonetheless.

The DBacks floated Upton last year too. They were in a pennant race and Upton was in the MVP race. There wasn't anything wrong with him then and there probably isn't now either. But you are right, any team that acquires him better put him through a thorough physical first.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I agree it is highly unlikely to happen, but fun to discuss nonetheless.

The DBacks floated Upton last year too. They were in a pennant race and Upton was in the MVP race. There wasn't anything wrong with him then and there probably isn't now either. But you are right, any team that acquires him better put him through a thorough physical first.
    I just checked out Upton's numbers since he joined the DBacks. He is pretty impressive statistically. That's for sure.

I just checked out Upton's numbers since he joined the DBacks. He is pretty impressive statistically. That's for sure.
    Yep. And at 24 years old he likely hasn't reached his prime yet.

Turn Off Ads?