Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Playoff Edition Discussion (Part 4)

Re: 2013 Bengals Playoff Edition Discussion (Part 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    "I don't pay attention to any numbers, ... Numbers are not how you play football. We made a decision to keep Craig. Casey did a good job. It was a very, very close call, and we kept Craig."

"We have to win football games. I don't think Carson has to do anything different. The rest of us have to keep playing and coaching better. He's so, so talented. As I keep saying from the day he walked in here, the guy, no matter what he touches, he can turn it to gold."

"I'm happy with where we are. We're in a situation where we don't have a void anywhere in players. We continue to cycle through the players from old to young. We continue with the development of our guys and go through it that way."

"From what everybody tells me, I guess this year is supposed to be pivotal."

"One player doesn't make a difference. The tendency you get -- the public furor that one person or one thing will make a big difference. I think that's been proven (false) over time."

"Carson is our offense. When our (offensive coaches) get together Monday evening to begin to put together the plan, we do things that we feel Carson is going to be extremely comfortable with."

"Unfortunately, we had somebody else who was more selfish than Chad. That person won't be with us next year, I'll tell you that. Those people aren't good for you."

"We're going to learn from the whole getting there (to the playoffs), and then what happened. It was inevitable. And we didn't deal with (the attention) as well as I thought we would. It just shows our lack of maturity and experience. We made the playoffs. Now we have to win a playoff game."
    Guy on message board with arsenal of quotes: 1
    Guy with Super Bowl ring: 0

Your move Coach Lewis.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Likes:

Joseph (01-16-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I just don't see Hyde being all that effective and NFL RB. I hope they do not use a pick on him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

5. Likes:

Stray (01-16-2014)

I'd be very happy with Dennard in the 1st round, as every notes, Newman is getting long in the tooth (but still producing), pacman is up & down, Hall is coming off injury and Kirkpatrick hasn't done anything to prove he's worthy of his 1st round pick yet (at least in games, coaches would have a good feel of what he's done in practice and how much they can depend on him)

I'd love Hyde as well, I'm thinking he slips into the 3rd as running back has been so de-emphasised in the draft. Hyde has the vision and churn that BJGE gives you, with a little more burst and size. He won't be the lightening bolt that Gio is, but they'd make a solid combination. In the 2nd round, I'd take an interior offensive lineman, unless they decided to resign Collins and move Whitworth inside to gaurd. if that were the case, I'd be looking at OLB or Safety, then go OL or QB in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    That is just wrong. There are currently two OSU players on the team, Nugent and Sanzenbacher. I would love to see Hyde and a compliment to Gio, but the "Brown loves Buckeyes" is a mischaracterization.
    Not advocating for Kiper or anything (he's a fool), but on Kiper's first mock draft he has the Bengals taking a CB, followed immediately by two Ohio State players for the next two picks of the first round, one a CB, and the other a RB.

Just thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I just don't see Hyde being all that effective and NFL RB. I hope they do not use a pick on him.
    Really? He's so strong, which is why I think he'd pair well with Gio.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

That is just wrong. There are currently two OSU players on the team, Nugent and Sanzenbacher. I would love to see Hyde and a compliment to Gio, but the "Brown loves Buckeyes" is a mischaracterization.
    Yeah I should have said local talent but the point remains that if Hyde or another local kid is there it may have more weight in the draft room.

Ultimately Lewis runs the draft these days but Brown still has some influence.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

No chance Carr is there when the Bengals pick in Round 2.

But Murray or Mett will be there. Prefer Mett as he's the kinda QB Hue can build around

If anything, Mike Brown loves SEC players.

Was Big Daddy the last first round pick by the Bengals that came from Ohio State? Still remember when the Bengals passed on Chris Gamble in favor of Chris Perry.

Not a fan of Hyde though, but I admit I really haven't looked much into draft prospects at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Was Big Daddy the last first round pick by the Bengals that came from Ohio State? Still remember when the Bengals passed on Chris Gamble in favor of Chris Perry.

Not a fan of Hyde though, but I admit I really haven't looked much into draft prospects at this point.
    Big Daddy was the last guy I can remember the Bengals taking early in the draft. I can't recall a guy that the Bengals took in the first 3 or 4 rounds from OSU. Its shocking when you consider how many players OSU has put in the pros and how few the Bengals have actually drafted. They did take late round fliers on Boom Herron and Fragel but those guys were pretty much practice squad fodder and picked up by different organizations.

The local angle? If any team has a fascination with UC it is the Eagles, they have a ton of UC guys.

As for Hyde, I think Hyde will start to fall down the draft rankings. He is an older guy for one, more hits on his body. He doesn't have anything that would really excite you when his measurables are taken. He isn't a guy who will wow you in the 40 and he isn't a guy who is going to run away from defenders in the open field. He does a lot of good things with his feet work, he can catch the ball out of the backfield. When he runs he gets a good lean and falls forward when he is tackled.

I think Hyde would be a good compliment to Gio. I wouldn't use a 2nd rounder on him though. The difference between Hyde and Gio is that if Gio breaks into the secondary he could take in the distance. If Gio catches a ball out of the backfield he can make people miss and turn a swing pass into a big gainer. IMO Hyde doesn't have that break away speed and he is a guy more likely to try and run through a defender than allude him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    According to Bengals.com, Jackson is a big proponent of the run game, which should take the pressure off Dalton.
    I would be shocked if you all don't bring in Run DMC this offseason. He had his best year with Hue Jackson in Oakland, if he can stay healthy he can be a very effective weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Seems like there is a pipeline from Georgia to Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Seems like there is a pipeline from Georgia to Cincinnati.
    Yep. Pollack, Thurman, Boling, Atkins, and of course AJ. We love them 'Dawgs.
    Go BLUE!!!

As for Hyde, I think Hyde will start to fall down the draft rankings. He is an older guy for one, more hits on his body. He doesn't have anything that would really excite you when his measurables are taken. He isn't a guy who will wow you in the 40 and he isn't a guy who is going to run away from defenders in the open field. He does a lot of good things with his feet work, he can catch the ball out of the backfield. When he runs he gets a good lean and falls forward when he is tackled.
    Hyde does not have many hits on his body. He'll actually probably have less hits than almost anybody in the draft. He only has 523 carries across 4 years. Ka'Deem Carey from Arizona has 652 in the last 2 years. The most carries Hyde had in a game this year was 27, which is very reasonable.

I think Hyde is going to run pretty well at the combine. I would be surprised at anything over 4.6. Bernard ran a 4.53. Hyde has quick feet and good elusiveness for a guy his size. He also is a good receiving threat out of the backfield, which is uncommon for a big running back. I think he's pretty similar to Eddie Lacy. They're about the same size and have similar skill sets. Lacy's 40 yard dash was 4.62, but that has not been a problem.

I don't think he's a first round pick, and I'm surprised Kiper has him that high. But somewhere last 2nd or 3rd is reasonable I think.

Happy to see Gruden leave, hate losing Zim.

Too bad we couldn't have sent Marvin up to the GM booth and made Zim our HC.

I think that would have worked beautifully.

Marvin didn't name Gamble specifically, but I've heard him tell a story where its pretty clear that the story is about Chris Gamble.

And here it is....

They went up to Ohio State (he did specifically say Ohio State, the question he was asked was about Ohio State players) and they wanted to look at a specific player (I forget the wording, but it was easy to understand he was talking about Chris Gamble w/o specifically saying Chris' name). They wanted Chris to do a handful of drills, including either a 40 yard dash or a shuttle or something of that ilk. Chris wouldn't do the drill, because he "couldn't find a pair of shoes to wear." Marvin's stated the obvious to the group he was speaking to that evening "Really? This is Ohio state and you can't 'find a pair of athletic shoes?' The Bengals pretty much took him off their draft board at that point."

Turn Off Ads?