Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Carpenter likely out for 2013.

Re: Cardinals Call 1:30 CT Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    It's not out of the question that the Cards resign Lohse now that this news hit. Plus I expect Wainwright to be better, two years removed from injury and I expect both Kelly and Lynn to be better in their second year in the majors.
    Question for you MikeThierry. As a knowledgeable fan can you objectively compare your projected rotation against the Reds rotation from last year? (i.e. assume Leake is the #5 and leave Chapman out of the mix).

I'm curious how you see them stacking up. Wainwright vs. Cueto; Garcia vs. Latos; Westbrook vs. Bailey; etc.

2. Likes:

MikeThierry (02-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with this. I laugh at Cardinals fans who think the Cards/Cubs are the biggest rivalry in baseball. Part of what makes a rivalry is that both teams have to be good.
    Only a part, though. Bengals and Browns fans will say the Steelers are their biggest rival but the Steelers have dominated both teams over the past 40 years. I think familiarity plays a larger part in it than whether the teams are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Salukifan2

There is no way the cards pitching is even close to the reds this year. They are gonna need three kids to step up big time this summer

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    There is no way the cards pitching is even close to the reds this year. They are gonna need three kids to step up big time this summer
    If Wainwrong is back to 100% that will go a long way.

Salukifan2

it will really help. I personally believe that garcia will be shut down in ST.

at the end of the year i think the cards rotation looks like,

Wainwright
    Westbrook
    Lynn
    Miller
    Rosenthal

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Question for you MikeThierry. As a knowledgeable fan can you objectively compare your projected rotation against the Reds rotation from last year? (i.e. assume Leake is the #5 and leave Chapman out of the mix).

I'm curious how you see them stacking up. Wainwright vs. Cueto; Garcia vs. Latos; Westbrook vs. Bailey; etc.
    That's a good question

Waino vs. Cueto: I see it as a push. If someone held a gun to my head, I would say Cueto right now with known information.
    Garcia vs. Latos: Latos
    Lynn vs. Bailey: Lynn
    Kelly or Miller vs. Arroyo: Kelly or Miller
    Westbrook vs. Leake: Push

Now all this stuff can change if Chapman is as dominant or if Rosenthall/Miller come out of the gates are are as good as they're projected to be. It also changes if the Cardinals do decide to resign Lohse. I also like the Cardinals depth and back end of the rotation than I do the Reds.

Phony is not the same as annoying or hated, and Bleacher Report is a joke. Basically one guy with a computer in his mom's basement's opinion.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

Superdude (02-05-2013),Tom Servo (02-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Phony is not the same as annoying or hated, and Bleacher Report is a joke. Basically one guy with a computer in his mom's basement's opinion.
    Actually, Bleacher Report has become more reliable as of late. The people there are trying to make it into a legit sporting website and they have some big contributors there. That said, I wouldn't rely on the Bleacher Report for this kind of debate so I agree with you from that standpoint, 757690.

One thing to also remember is that the Cards do have the chips to go out and get a stud Ace if they wanted to. So the whole Cards vs. Reds rotation comparison will always be in flux.

Salukifan2

The cardinals are pitching staff is now rapidly entering the transition into youth period and they should accept that.

And I'm calling BS on that. I go to the STL Today forums all the time and while there are Reds topics on occasion, it's not as widespread as you're making it. It has always been idiots complaining about TLR or how Mozeliak doesn't know what he's doing. I'm on page 7 of the threads in the Cardinals forum there before even a hint of the mention of Reds are on there and that thread was comparing the Reds to the Cardinals. I don't see a ton of disdain there honestly.
    Sorry, Mike, but that is absolutely untrue. There is constantly -- and I do mean constantly -- discussion going about the Reds. Last year when the Reds traded for Latos, there were probably six different threads about the Reds on the front page with various ways of asking, "are they any good?"
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Salukifan2

Why can't it just be April now?!

The Cardinals have a ton of potential. But it's just that, potential. Miller, Rosenthal, Kelly... all ridiculously talented. Can they all put it together? One of two of them? Time will tell. I give the Reds an edge, but what if Arroyo regresses? What if Bailey or Cueto gets hurt, Chapman doesn't work out, and Leake is a trainwreck? None of those scenarios are far-fetched.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The Cardinals have a ton of potential. But it's just that, potential. Miller, Rosenthal, Kelly... all ridiculously talented. Can they all put it together? One of two of them? Time will tell. I give the Reds an edge, but what if Arroyo regresses? What if Bailey or Cueto gets hurt, Chapman doesn't work out, and Leake is a trainwreck? None of those scenarios are far-fetched.
    Exactly. Honestly, the brewers are gonna have it tough for the first couple months, but if they can hover maybe .500 to five games under till they get hart back they could be very scary. Especially if the pieces don't fall where STL and Cincy hope on their end.

Objectively speaking, if Carpenter is a "humongous jackass" then so is Phillips. Every MLB player poll has him as one of the top 5 most annoying players in the game. Funny how Carpenter never makes that list.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at with the Phillips hate, but actually it's mostly Cardinals' fans that hate him. Heck, the guy has almost a million followers on Twitter.

In fact, that is the most of any MLB player with Twitter near as I can tell:

MLB Twitter accounts

Not everyone uses Twitter, and among those who do, not everyone uses it very often, but Phillips is so far ahead of everyone else in followers, it's hard to suggest he's "hated" outside of St. Louis.

Phillips is one of the more popular players in baseball. I'm sure there are plenty that hate him, but you could find people that hate any player.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

18. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-05-2013)

Actually, Bleacher Report has become more reliable as of late. The people there are trying to make it into a legit sporting website and they have some big contributors there. That said, I wouldn't rely on the Bleacher Report for this kind of debate so I agree with you from that standpoint, 757690.

One thing to also remember is that the Cards do have the chips to go out and get a stud Ace if they wanted to. So the whole Cards vs. Reds rotation comparison will always be in flux.
    Bleacher Report has been bought by Comcast/NBC so yes, NOW they're trying to make it into a fully-fledged sports site. But when that article was written two years ago, it was nothing more than sports fans blogging on a whim.

20. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-05-2013),Tom Servo (02-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?