Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty remains quiet about trade plans

Re: Jocketty remains quiet about trade plans

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If the Reds are in the predicament that they are in because of payroll disparities, how can the fact that the Diamondbacks, As, Marlins, Rays, and Twins are playoff contenders be explained? All have payrolls that are smaller than the Reds (in some cases staggeringly so) while having teams within their divisions that have a payroll of at least $118M.
    Separate entities. Different investors, different goals and objectives.

I suggest that you interview them, it is probably in their archives somewhere.

I am sorry, I don’t have time to teach finance and accounting here, looking it up in the archives here might do you some good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow, JoJo didn't deserve that answer.

His point is simply that the teams named are competing on a lot less dollars in divisions with high payroll teams. Something the Reds fail to do and that has NOTHING to do with accounting or finance but a lot to do with competent management.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    His point is simply that the teams named are competing on a lot less dollars in divisions with high payroll teams. Something the Reds fail to do and that has NOTHING to do with accounting or finance but a lot to do with competent management.
    Right. To me it's the very first question suggested by an argument that points to payroll.

Or to put it another way, if payroll disparity can be overcome as has been shown by by a growing number of teams year after year, why can't the Reds overcome it? In fact, why shouldn't the Reds be expected to overcome it?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Funny thing that every time Beane deals one of his studs the naysayers predict the end of the A's yet all they do is continue to compete year after year with a small payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I am sorry, I don’t have time to teach finance and accounting here, looking it up in the archives here might do you some good.
    I'm not asking you to teach finance and accounting but rather asking you to challenge your own assumptions about how they relate to the Reds FO.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    It's a testament to someone (and I'm not sure who) that we're only 5 games underr .500.
    Volquez and Cueto. If we don't get these two we are probably the worst record in baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Funny thing that every time Beane deals one of his studs the naysayers predict the end of the A's yet all they do is continue to compete year after year with a small payroll.
    When is the last time they made the playoffs? Competing don't get it done for me.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    When is the last time they made the playoffs?
    my guess is that it is less distant than the Reds last playoff apearance.

BTW, the answer is 2006 and the A's have made the playoffs 5 times since the Reds last appearance(1995).

In addition the A's have had one losing season in the last 10 years(1999-2008)

my guess is that it is less distant than the Reds last playoff apearance.
    What the A's do has nothing to do with the Reds. I think Billy Beane has lost his mind trading his big arms for little return. Haren and Harden are 2 of the best pitchers in baseball. Beane sure didn't get a Matt LaPorta.

Watch the A's play, they certainly won't be making the playoffs anytime soon.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Beane sure didn't get a Matt LaPorta.
    he did get 2 young LH starting pitchers that both have pitched over 100 innings to this point with ERA under 3.7. Beane is not about stockpiling names ... just talent. Thats why in a season where his only true All Star type position player(Chavez) has hardly played they are still 8 games over and in the hunt for a ploff spot.

he did get 2 young LH starting pitchers that both have pitched over 100 innings to this point with ERA under 3.7. Beane is not about stockpiling names ... just talent. Thats why in a season where his only true All Star type position player(Chavez) has hardly played they are still 8 games over and in the hunt for a ploff spot.
    Rich Harden had also pitched pretty well. That's a big blow to your rotation. I usually pull for the A's but when I see a team giving away talent, I can't get behind that. They don't think much of the guys coming through the gate. There is also no way the A's will make the playoffs. They can't touch LA or Boston.

Rich Harden had also pitched pretty well. That's a big blow to your rotation.
    just like losing Haren ... who was replaced by 2 major league ready starters and as a bonus they have one of the best pitching prospects in the minors(Anderson).

Harden, with his history, was not a good bet to finish the season without a trip to the DL, has been replaced by a young guy(with no injury history) ready to pitch in the majors. In addition he got more interchangeable parts for the roster(which has what has kept the A's afloat this season).

Wouldn't be surprised to see the As make an offer for Dunn.

There is also no way the A's will make the playoffs. They can't touch LA or Boston.
    Who says they have to? At this point, they only have to keep pace with DET and NYY.

And I won't doubt Beane until he shows an inability to craft a winner. So far that hasn't happened.

The trade of Harden doesn't signal the A's are throwing in the towel. Beane was simply cashing in his chips(before the next injury) ... similar to the Reds trading Hamilton.

Turn Off Ads?