Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Career Recommendation

Career Recommendation

I am looking for input on a career choice for my wife. Before we had a family she worked in the insurance industry and made pretty good money. She quit her job to raise our kids and she since has inquired about getting a job back in the insurance industry. Unfortunately the very best job she can get is $13 an hr which is a far cry from what she used to make. She is considering getting into the medical field but is not at all enthusiastic about going back to school especially with 2 young children. My question is can anyone recommend a decent paying profession (around $40,000 or so) with a minimal amount of schooling required most likely in the medical field?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Career Recommendation

My advice, if she loves the insurance industry, is to take the $13/hour job (if you can afford it, not sure if that will offset the cost of potential day care) Work it for a year, and see if she can't parlay it to something closer to what she used to make.

If she's not in love with it, or financially its just not feasible, I don't have any good recs. Could be tough in this job market.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I'd recommend Surgical Technology. 2 year degree, medical field, and depending on where she works, $40,000 is doable.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Sonography, or x-ray technician can both get that amount within a few years, and the courses aren't long, sometimes only 9 months
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I would agree that a technician type job in the medical industry would be the best way to go.

The pay is generally good, and you can become certified through most community colleges and/or career schools - and those types of degrees usually offer class schedules that work around a working adult's schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am looking for input on a career choice for my wife. Before we had a family she worked in the insurance industry and made pretty good money. She quit her job to raise our kids and she since has inquired about getting a job back in the insurance industry. Unfortunately the very best job she can get is $13 an hr which is a far cry from what she used to make. She is considering getting into the medical field but is not at all enthusiastic about going back to school especially with 2 young children. My question is can anyone recommend a decent paying profession (around $40,000 or so) with a minimal amount of schooling required most likely in the medical field?
    Can you afford to pay for any schooling out of pocket, or would you be taking on debt in order for your wife to go back to school? I ask, because it's important to factor in the cost of re-education (both in actual dollar amounts and lost time that could be spent working in a different field) into this decision. It's not always the case that schooling "pays for itself" in these types of situations -- especially when you're going back late and don't have the full working lifetime to earn the investment back. Plus, any educational debt is nondischargeable in bankruptcy -- which means you're saddled with it no matter what else happens in your life.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Can you afford to pay for any schooling out of pocket, or would you be taking on debt in order for your wife to go back to school? I ask, because it's important to factor in the cost of re-education (both in actual dollar amounts and lost time that could be spent working in a different field) into this decision. It's not always the case that schooling "pays for itself" in these types of situations -- especially when you're going back late and don't have the full working lifetime to earn the investment back. Plus, any educational debt is nondischargeable in bankruptcy -- which means you're saddled with it no matter what else happens in your life.
    She is currently employed at Fed Ex as a night time handler. We know Fed Ex does pay for schooling as long as it is for like 4 year schools and not some of these other schools that seem to be kinda "fly by night". Ivy Tech is in Indiana and I believe it is a 4 year school, but if the Technician program is less than 4 years I would assume Ivy Tech would still pay for it. This is something we need to check into.

Thanks for the input everyone. She seems somewhat interested in the XRay technician program.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Sonography, or x-ray technician can both get that amount within a few years, and the courses aren't long, sometimes only 9 months
    I agree. Good jobs, reasonable class schedule and length of courses. Job market a little tough right now but that is VERY regional and may not apply in your area.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    She is currently employed at Fed Ex as a night time handler. We know Fed Ex does pay for schooling as long as it is for like 4 year schools and not some of these other schools that seem to be kinda "fly by night". Ivy Tech is in Indiana and I believe it is a 4 year school, but if the Technician program is less than 4 years I would assume Ivy Tech would still pay for it. This is something we need to check into.

Thanks for the input everyone. She seems somewhat interested in the XRay technician program.
    Just to be sure, I'm pretty sure Ivy Tech is a 2 year college. I don't think they offer any bachelor degrees but they are a state school, so I'd be surprised if FedEx wouldn't pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?