Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Beatles Album

New Beatles Album

This is going on my Christmas list!

http://www.nme.com/news/beatles/24757

It features 78 minutes of 'new' music

Details of The Beatles' new album 'LOVE' have been confirmed.

The album, which is out on November 20, will be released in a CD/DVD format and will contain 78 minutes of 'new' Beatles material.

As previously reported by NME.COM, the album was created by Sir George Martin and his son Giles Martin.The pair used master tapes of original Beatles recordings for a collaboration with Cirque Du Soleil.

In a statement, Paul McCartney said: "This album puts The Beatles back together again, because suddenly there's John and George with me and Ringo."

Ringo Starr added: "George and Giles did such a great job combining these tracks. It's really powerful for me and I even heard things I'd forgotten we'd recorded."

The tracklisting for the album is:

'Because'
    'Get Back'
    'Glass Onion'
    'Eleanor Rigby'/'Julia' (Transistion)
    'I Am The Walrus'
    'I Want To Hold Your Hand'
    'Drive My Car'/' The Word'/'What You're Doing'
    'Gnik Nus'
    'Something'/'Blue Jay Way' (Transition)
    'Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!'/'I Want You (She's So Heavy)'/ 'Helter Skelter'
    'Help!'
    'Blackbird'/'Yesterday'
    'Strawberry Fields Forever'
    'Within You Without You'/'Tomorrow Never Knows'
    'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'
    'Octopus's Garden'
    'Lady Madonna'
    'Here Comes The Sun'/'The Inner Light' (Transition)
    'Come Together'/'Dear Prudence'/'Cry Baby Cry' (Transition)
    'Revolution'
    'Back In The USSR'
    'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'
    'A Day In The Life'
    'Hey Jude'
    'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)'
    'All You Need Is Love'
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Beatles Album

Well now I've got something to add to my wish list too.

Cool.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

If it's Beatles, I'm there.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 11-09-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'll be nabbing that one - a heck of a lineup of songs.

How is this new? I have all of these songs on CD already, just not in this order.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    How is this new? I have all of these songs on CD already, just not in this order.
    Yeah really, none of this is "new"
    Go Gators!

What album was Gnik Nus on again? :
    It might not be new - but much sounds remastered. Hey, that is good enough for me.

I heard a few of these song on Howard Stern earlier this week. Gently weeps I think was one song. It sounded fantastic. As a matter of fact, Stern and the cronies were poo-pooing it, but then admitted that it did sound good, considering no new music from the greatest rock band of all time in over 30 years.

Are these the officially release recordings we all know, or different versions?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

It's Beatles Anthology part 3... nothing more, nothing less.

And I, like millions of die hard Beatle fans, will gobble it up just for the sake of interest.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Are these the officially release recordings we all know, or different versions?
    They are remastered and in some cases remixed together. They have remixed some and combined some different songs together. This was done for the Beatles Love show in Las Vegas. Now they are just releasing some of these on an album.

Zoinks!

More info on the Beatles album, a nice read:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entert...661900456.html

IT WAS 1966 and the Beatles had just given up touring for good. Fans were heartbroken, but for producer George Martin, frustrated at never getting enough studio time with the band, it was the opportunity of his life. At home, John Lennon recorded a new song on a cheap tape recorder.

"No one had heard it," says Martin. "John came into the studios; I sat on the high stool I always sat on and he stood in front of me with his acoustic guitar, and sang."

Sitting this week in the same Abbey Road studio, Sir George Martin, now 80, sings "Living is easy with eyes closed …"It was a very gentle, wistful song," he says. "I was spellbound by it.

"I said, 'John, that's a fantastic song. How do you want to treat it?' And he looked at me and said, 'That's your job, isn't it?' "

That early Strawberry Fields Forever was never released, replaced by a more complex version. But after four decades in the Abbey Road vaults, it reappears on Love, a new Beatles record to be released on November 18.

The man who produced all but one of the Beatles' albums ( Let It Be) has resumed the job Lennon asked him to do in 1966.

A new Beatles album? What does that mean? Martin and his son Giles, also a producer, have taken 37 Beatles songs, mixed, diced and blended them, played some drum solos backwards, added wind sounds and birdsong, and created a 78-minute medley — what Martin calls an album "not of greatest hits but of greatest sounds".

Strawberry Fields Forever flows into the chanting end of Hello Goodbye. Within You, Without You takes drums and bass from Tomorrow Never Knows to give it a pacier feel. Glass Onion has been sliced up, Octopus' Garden totally redesigned. This may horrify traditionalists, yet many songs have been wisely left alone.

The narcotic weirdness of I Am The Walrus floats out of the past, essentially untouched.

Thirty of the 37 songs come from the time of Sergeant Pepper and beyond — the period in which, many believe, the Beatles did their greatest work.

The Martins insist it is a Beatles album because all the music comes from Abbey Road tapes, bar one string arrangement on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. George Martin wrote the arrangement and it is a fitting close to his career, since the first thing he wrote for the Beatles was a string arrangement on Yesterday.

Giles Martin, for his part, has worked with Elvis Costello, INXS and Kate Bush. But the 37-year-old has had to fight free of his father's shadow.

George says: "Many years ago, Giles in a moment of despair said, 'You know, it isn't easy being your son.' And I said, 'I'm aware of this and there is nothing I can do about it. But there is something you can do about it. You can be better than me.' And now he is."

"Please scrub that last line," says Giles, afraid his dad sounds corny.

But the father might be forgiven a moment's weakness. "This is the last album I will ever make," says Martin, now very hard of hearing but sharp, and as kindly and proper as he was always reputed to be. "In two months' time I shall be 81 — it's time to give up, don't you think? When you're into your 80s, things start dropping off you as you walk along the street … So this record is rather significant for me."

The project grows out of the late George Harrison's friendship with Guy Laliberte, founder of Canadian circus troupe Cirque du Soleil. The Beatles allowed Laliberte to use their music in a Cirque du Soleil show, Love, which opened in Las Vegas in June. The album Love is the show's soundtrack.

It is an unlikely birth. Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, plus widows Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, are famously fierce guardians of the band's music. That is why it is almost never heard in films, advertisements, or what Martin calls " Mamma Mia-type shows, where their music is just used and sung by other people".

EMI is no less proprietorial. When London DJ Danger Mouse mashed the Beatles' White Album with the Black Album by rap star Jay-Z to produce the Grey Album in 2004, the label served a "cease and desist" letter on Danger Mouse and ordered retailers and file-sharing websites to stop distribution.

Throw in the suit the Beatles launched against EMI last year for £30 million ($A74.6 million) in disputed royalties — the latest in 30 years of legal battles between band and label — and it didn't feel like the time for an experiment. But the Martins are no ordinary dabblers.

Giles began by reshaping Within You, Without You and rather nervously played it, in separate sessions, to the surviving Beatles, Ono and Harrison. They were delighted, he says.

"Paul and Ringo said, 'This sounds like us playing.' Having their endorsement gave us the confidence to do what we wanted," says Martin.

"We did some pretty wild things as a result. I told Giles we were going to be crucified for playing about with the Holy Grail, but most people who have heard it have given us a pretty good reception."

In an age of remixes, redubs, mash-ups and compilations, the album will be judged on whether its interpretation enhances the experience of the Beatles.

Bob Dylan has said that machines have made music soulless, that most studio music no longer reflects human frailty. The Martins seem to agree.

For many albums today, says Giles, seven different people make the mix, brass and rhythm are overdubbed later and the product is taken to artists and repertoire meetings for appraisal. "The thing about the Beatles is that the four of them together, playing live in the studio, made a great sound. No marketing meeting is going to create that."

The Martins say they tried to preserve that rawness on Love. The Beatles were great experimenters, says Giles. Back in the USSR has a long guitar chord that is out of tune; the Beatles heard it, liked it and left it, as did the Martins.

"It would never be allowed these days," says Giles. "In fact, I don't think many of the Beatles' experiments would be allowed."

What does he hope listeners take from it?

"I hope they just enjoy the band," he says. "I think the whole heritage and culture aspect of the Beatles takes away from the fact that they were simply great players."

His father hopes "it will turn a lot of teenagers on who have not really appreciated the Beatles before".

Making the album took him back in time. "I can still see John," George Martin says. "Standing in front of me. Singing to me."

It is a shame George Martin is not given more recognition for his work with the Beatles. The man, indeed, was the fifth Beatle - and while he lead them down many paths, he allowed them to lead as well and experiment.
    Without him...well...listen to the original Let It Be, and you get the picture.

Phil Spector should have been imprisoned years ago for what he did to Let It Be. But it was the Beatle's fault as well. In disgust with each other, they basically threw the hours and hours of tape at him and basically said "Have at it. See what you can salvage."

What he did to "Long and Winding Road" was terrible.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?