Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Valaika or Frazier play CF?

Re: Can Valaika or Frazier play CF?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    OK, that's what I was wondering. You're thinking Stubb's BA would be worse than Patterson (who already is at the Mendoza line). I was thinking that Stubb's BA could be 25-30 points higher than Patterson, and with the walks, his overall OBP would be higher.
    Based off what? That the guy is barely hitting .250 in A-ball?? I mean, come on here- .250 in A ball translates to about .050 in the big leagues when you're talking about making an instant jump.

I think we're all in agreement that Drew Stubbs may factor in to the Reds' plans for CF in 2010 if he can continue to progress (a big if). However thinking about him starting Opening Day in 2009 is just plain ridiculous at this point. That said, I do like your creativity and originality. We just have to come up with another plan.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Based off what? That the guy is barely hitting .250 in A-ball?? I mean, come on here- .250 in A ball translates to about .050 in the big leagues when you're talking about making an instant jump.

I think we're all in agreement that Drew Stubbs may factor in to the Reds' plans for CF in 2010 if he can continue to progress (a big if). However thinking about him starting Opening Day in 2009 is just plain ridiculous at this point. That said, I do like your creativity and originality. We just have to come up with another plan.
    Not so fast there my friend. Push him to AA for the rest of the year and get him out of that league that saps hitters of what appears to be their skills with the bat. See what happens. I do agree that April 2009 is likely pushing it, but I don't think July 2009 is that far out of the realm of possibility.

Why would they convert either of them to an OF position when the AA team especially is loaded with OF'ers?! There are 5... Cumberland, Strait, Henry, Dorn, and the new guy Collaro. The LAST thing we need is more OF'ers!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not so fast there my friend. Push him to AA for the rest of the year and get him out of that league that saps hitters of what appears to be their skills with the bat. See what happens. I do agree that April 2009 is likely pushing it, but I don't think July 2009 is that far out of the realm of possibility.
    No offense Doug, but I think this is crazy. Right now Stubbs has a .769 OPS in A+, according to the major league equivalency calculator his Sarasota line translates to .200/.289/.291 line in the bigs. This is taking into account the difficulty of the FSL. I haven't given up on Drew's development and I wouldn't even be opposed to him heading up to AA for the last couple of months, but to be ready for MLB one year from now he would have to make a massive leap.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    No offense Doug, but I think this is crazy. Right now Stubbs has a .769 OPS in A+, according to the major league equivalency calculator his Sarasota line translates to .200/.289/.291 line in the bigs. This is taking into account the difficulty of the FSL. I haven't given up on Drew's development and I wouldn't even be opposed to him heading up to AA for the last couple of months, but to be ready for MLB one year from now he would have to make a massive leap.
    And I don't expect him to jump from the FSL to Cincinnati.... just the FSL to Chattanooga. Does he need to make some big steps in order to do that? Yeah, he does. I think he could do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And I don't expect him to jump from the FSL to Cincinnati.... just the FSL to Chattanooga. Does he need to make some big steps in order to do that? Yeah, he does. I think he could do it though.
    I agree with you, its now or never for him and its time to push him and see what you got. A change of scenery might do him some good as well as the promotion could raise his confidence, that he is only 2 steps away from the show. Let him play in the FSL all star game then promote him.

I would love to see him moved up, but I think if they were going to, they would have promoted him instead of signing Colaro.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

AA is packed with good outfielders-one of them will need to be promoted to AAA before Stubbs can be promoted to AA. I don't think a promotion for one(or more) of them is too far away, however. July seems about right.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    AA is packed with good outfielders-one of them will need to be promoted to AAA before Stubbs can be promoted to AA. I don't think a promotion for one(or more) of them is too far away, however. July seems about right.
    Stubbs to Chattanooga, Cumberland to Louisville. It should happen by the All-Star Break.

It will be interesting to see who gets to Cincy first- Stubbs or Alonso. You could also add Frazier to that mix. It would be telling if our 2008 first round pick made it to the majors before our 2006 first rounder, considering both were college hitters selected with almost the same exact pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sh0619 View Post
    Why would they convert either of them to an OF position when the AA team especially is loaded with OF'ers?! There are 5... Cumberland, Strait, Henry, Dorn, and the new guy Collaro. The LAST thing we need is more OF'ers!
    Because you don't plan prospects' futures based off of needs at the AA level, you do it based off of the major league team and/or other top prospects in the organization. I wouldn't make a decision on a blue chip guy like Valaika or Frazier based off of the presence of Sean Henry, Cody Strait, or Collaro- none of whom ever project to much more than minor league fodder. Not to mention, with the possible exception of Henry, none of your aforementioned can play a decent CF.

Not saying a position switch would necessarily work for either guy, but your reasons are certainly not anything to consider when making such decisions.
    Go BLUE!!!

No.
    Frazier - maybe LF
    Valaika is not an outfielder at all.

Turn Off Ads?