Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Interesting tidbit on Enerio Del Rosario

Interesting tidbit on Enerio Del Rosario

MARIO’S LATEST: Enerio Del Rosario is latest Mario Soto protege.

“He’s one of my guys,” Soto said.

Del Rosario, a 23-year-old right-hander, went a combined 3-1 with a 1.72 ERA last year. He started in Single-A Sarasota went to Double-A Carolina and then to Triple-A Louisville.

“He used to be an over-the-top guy,” Soto said. “Now, he throws sidearm. His ball has so much movement that all they do is hit groundballs to the infield.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting tidbit on Enerio Del Rosario

Reliever or not, I thought his 2009 was undeniably terrific. I am okay considering him a top 15 guy for the Reds. Mario is the gift that keeps on giving, hope Bob's got a turkey heading his way this Christmas!

Mario should be given a nice longterm contract, if he can churn out 1 pitcher a year he's the most valuable coach in the organization IMO.

Keep that pipeline from Latin America open.

Roenicke leaves, EDR approaches. There's relief for relievers.

grab every kid that throws over 95mph from Latin America and turn them over to Mario, I also would have him teach every kid in the organization that throws over 95 the changeup as well, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    grab every kid that throws over 95mph from Latin America and turn them over to Mario, I also would have him teach every kid in the organization that throws over 95 the changeup as well, why not.
    If the Reds are to make any deals this week, the pen is the place to deal from. All these guys could legitimately appear in the big league pen in 2010:

RHP
    Cordero
    Masset
    Burton
    Owings
    Fisher
    Ondrusek
    Del Rosario
    Lincoln
    Lecure

LHP
    Rhodes
    Herrera
    Bray
    Viola
    Valiquette
    Jukich

If not Cordero with Masset sliding in at Closer, guys like Burton, Rhodes and maybe Owings and Bray may be able to fetch something back to bolster the SS situation. Rhodes for Brignac would add a LH bat as a SS alternative while cutting cost and supplementing the youth movement. Rhodes was awesome last year, but a repeat is probably too much to expect and he would be viewed as a bargain at $2 Million and IMO would be in demand. Seems like he could fetch something. Guys like Fisher and Del Rosario would be competent backfills for anyone dealt. I'd probably be willing to add Ondrusek to a deal, but there may be reasons to keep him around that I don't know of.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    MARIO’S LATEST: Enerio Del Rosario is latest Mario Soto protege.

“He’s one of my guys,” Soto said.

Del Rosario, a 23-year-old right-hander, went a combined 3-1 with a 1.72 ERA last year. He started in Single-A Sarasota went to Double-A Carolina and then to Triple-A Louisville.

“He used to be an over-the-top guy,” Soto said. “Now, he throws sidearm. His ball has so much movement that all they do is hit groundballs to the infield.”

I feel a little bit better hearing that Soto "changed him". I saw Enerio pitch a game a couple years back in Vero Beach. And I was totally unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    all they do is hit groundballs to the infield

with the Reds infield defense this guy should never give up a run!

In all seriousness guys who give up ground balls (not flyballs) plus a strong infield defense seems to be a great strategy for GABP.

What I found interesting is Del Rosario is now throwing sidearm. I love it. Scott Sullivan put together a great career with the Reds using the sidearm delivery. He was a key part of the Reds bullpen for years. It would be awesome if Del Rosario could develop into a workhorse out of the bullpen like Sullivan.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Mario Soto RAWKS! Many people want him as the big league pitching coach, but I love him just where he is. Whatever we can do to keep him happy is well worth it...the Reds organization is blessed to have been the one he came up with. He's a true Red through and through...I bet he even bleeds red. :ughmamoru He doesn't mention teaching him the circle change...I wonder if Mario told him to try the lower arm slot or just supported him. Either way, this is another young guy who's going to be fun watching grow up in the GAB.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

*Bump*

Del Rosario, one to keep an eye on
    Posted by jfay March 2nd, 2010, 11:31 am

Right-hander Enerio Del Rosario has been one of the more impressive pitcchers in camp.

Del Rosario, 24, combined to 3-1 with a 1.68 ERA and 12 saves while moving from Sarasota to Carolina to Louisville. He struck out 54 and walked only six. He’ll drop down to side arm to throw his sinker ball. I’d be surprised if you don’t see him in the big leagues at some point this.

“He’s impressed me,” Dusty Baker said. “He has a loose arm. You wouldn’t know it but this is his first time in big league camp. He fields his position well. I talked to some of guys about him. They said he calls the infielders off he’s such a great fielder. He tells them to get out of the way.

“He keeps the ball down, runs it in on them. There’s always a place on a team sooner or later who has a good natural sinker. You can get out of more situations. He’s the kind of guy you bring in first and second, nobody out, one out, and he’ll throw up that groundball double play. Most teams I’ve been on, good teams, we’ve always had at least one sinker ball guy.”

Being a good fielder helps if you throw sinker.

“That’s what I was trying to tell (Jordan) Smith: You guys are going to have to working on fielding more than anybody because as a hitter I’m taught hit the ball back through the middle so I don’t roll over on it. The better fielder you are, the more runs you save yourself. I used to see Greg Maddux work on it all the time. Tommy John used to throw us BP without the screen.”

Awesome post. At Great American Ballpark we can use all the sinker ballers we can get. It was indeed a huge move up the ladder that Del Rosario made last year.

I used to love watching Scott Sullivan in the ROOGY role against Jeff Bagwell. Sullivan was much more than a one out guy, but man he used to dominate Jeff Bagwell.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?