Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

Re: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

I would love to see the Reds in the Carolina League but Kinston just does not seem like a great choice. That particular city is very economically depressed right now and they were historically last in attendance when the Carolina League was there. They averaged around 1800 paid which is not very high. Attendance wise Lynchburg was just above Kinston. They had around 2300 paid attendance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

Wilmington Voters rejected the bond vote to finance a stadium.

I always find it baffling when a city refuses to support Minor League Baseball. The tax increase is usually less then $50.00 for those that do pay taxes and if you use the stadium five days out of the year, you got your moneys worth.

I cant think of many other places to put a Carolina League team.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I always find it baffling when a city refuses to support Minor League Baseball. The tax increase is usually less then $50.00 for those that do pay taxes and if you use the stadium five days out of the year, you got your moneys worth.

I cant think of many other places to put a Carolina League team.

Frankly, its not a total shock it didn't pass. Asking taxpayers at this time to cough up money for a ballpark with the uncertainty politically and economically is tricky. Personally, I was hoping that the park would happen but I can understand why it didn't. Traveling down I-40 to see the Mudcats in Wilmington, with all it has to offer, would have been awesome. In better economic times maybe so. Lynchburg lives on in the Carolina League.

Bummer in that it would be nice to see a team in Wilmington (my daughter, who's only in 7th grade, already wants to look at UNCW - for marine biology). My plan in four years is to fold in campus tours with ballgames.

Yet I'd only vote in favor of using taxpayer money to build a stadium if it was a loan the team intended to pay back with interest, so good on the people of Wilmington for saying no.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Had a professor at UNCW who was really hoping to get a team there, sorry to hear it's not going to happen.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Columbia is the latest SC city on the stadium kick...

http://ballparkdigest.com/2014030571...-city-approval
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Thanks for the update Jaxred.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Columbia is the latest SC city on the stadium kick...

http://ballparkdigest.com/2014030571...-city-approval
    I'm hoping he moves the nats and we get a new stadium in Savannah and some how the Reds move the Bakersfield team here. Reds would draw in Savannah as about 10% of the 500k metro area is from the midwest "Ohio" and a lot of people vacation at Hilton Head which is 30 minutes from downtown Savannah. Hit the beach @ Hilton Head during the day and then come downtown to Savannah for the game and night life.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-10-2014)

This is very interesting. If the high A team of the Reds were to end up in Savannah...which you have to admit would be a looooong shot, it would stretch the Carolina League a bit to the south but remember...it will take two teams to tango. Savannah would replace Myrtle Beach as the southern most team in the league. My son and daughter in law live in Savannah and attend a dozen or so games a year. We attended a game there with them last year. Thanks for posting the latest saga guys. Always interesting to follow.
    Last edited by muddie; 03-13-2014 at 08:28 PM.

I see no reason why they would swap the Savannah and Columbia Franchises. Wouldn't fit geographically with the leagues.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    This is very interesting. If the high A team of the Reds were to end up in Savannah...which you have to admit would be a looooong shot, it would stretch the Carolina League a bit to the south but remember...it will take two teams to tango. Savannah would replace Myrtle Beach as the southern most team in the league. My son and daughter in law live in Savannah and attend a dozen or so games a year. We attended a game there with them last year. Thanks for posting the latest saga guys. Always interesting to follow.
    I wish the Power here in Charleston, WV could move up to AA and get the Reds on board. Attendance has been slacking since the Brewers left and Pittsburgh got it, but we'll see if Pirate-mania catches on coming off the post season runs of the Power and the parent club.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I'd be interested in knowing what Carolina League team might be for sale if Savannah did commit to a new park and the Sand Gnats stayed put.

The potential Hagerstown to Fredericksburg move is interesting. The Fredericksburg investment people have been granted an additional 90 days as of March 15th to study the proposals and purchase the land for the proposed park. In light of this it is highly unlikely the Suns could move to Fredericksburg for the start of the 2015 season as originally hoped for. As a result, the owner of the Suns is asking for a two year extended lease in Hagerstown. He also has not totally ruled out staying but that would rely on a total Fredericksburg failure to act.

Turn Off Ads?