Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Re: Brian Kelly, leading candidate for Tennessee job...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps they feel UC is a major head coaching job.
    and Texas Tech is not?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Perhaps they feel UC is a major head coaching job.
    If they do then that's a headline in and of itself. A school that draws 30K a game is a major head coaching job?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If they do then that's a headline in and of itself. A school that draws 30K a game is a major head coaching job?
    That's pretty good considering the capacity. All the head coaches on that list except for Leach were in non BCS conferences. Maybe that's the the criteria he's using, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Lane wasn't hired on any credentials. He was hired based on convenience and timing. He was the only coach who could come in right now, take over, and start recruiting. He'll likely be as successful as another SEC coach who had a famous Dad, Mike Shula.

With this hire it's all about his asst coaches. The only way he can be successful is by being a delegator and delegating to talented folks around him. The only positive I can see to this is he may run a pro set offense.
    Mike Shula... Ick. Talk about setting a program back for a few years.

That's pretty good considering the capacity. All the head coaches on that list except for Leach were in non BCS conferences. Maybe that's the the criteria he's using, I don't know.
    Schiano (Rutgers) and Fitzgerald (Northwestern) are on the list. I think the writer simply missed Kelly.

Getting back to Kiffin, it looks like Spurrier is accusing him of poaching his recruits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,125819
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

From Ctrent

In the middle of a press confernece with Brian Kelly and Mike Thomas.

The two, along with Jeff Wyler and Nancy Zimpher, met this morning.

"I’m here to tell you, that I’m committed to the University of Cincinnati," Kelly said.

Also, "All I can say is, with all the speculation and the jobs that are out there, sometime or later, no means no. No one ever speaks in terms of forever and forever. There’s been a lot of interest in my services, but I want to be here at the University of Cincinnati for the right reasons."

* Mike Thomas said Nippert is being expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From Ctrent

In the middle of a press confernece with Brian Kelly and Mike Thomas.

The two, along with Jeff Wyler and Nancy Zimpher, met this morning.

"I’m here to tell you, that I’m committed to the University of Cincinnati," Kelly said.

Also, "All I can say is, with all the speculation and the jobs that are out there, sometime or later, no means no. No one ever speaks in terms of forever and forever. There’s been a lot of interest in my services, but I want to be here at the University of Cincinnati for the right reasons."

* Mike Thomas said Nippert is being expanded.
    That's nice to hear, I hope he does stay. I also remember Mr. Thad Matta saying the same thing about a week or so before he took the OSU job. And is Jeff Wyler the same Jeff Wyler from the car dealerships? Why would he be involved in that meeting?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    That's nice to hear, I hope he does stay. I also remember Mr. Thad Matta saying the same thing about a week or so before he took the OSU job. And is Jeff Wyler the same Jeff Wyler from the car dealerships? Why would he be involved in that meeting?
    Yes it is the same Jeff Wyler and because he is on the Board at the school.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

There's an article up at the Enquirer website about this too:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...312020081/1064

I hope BK does stay because he's done a lot for UC's football program and it would be a shame for the guys to be left in the dust by a coach all over again.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

C Trent:

UPDATE: Mike Thomas said there were three parts of the meeting:

1. practice facilities and indoor facilities -- those are on track, he said.

2. 'operation pieces' -- "There’s a laundry list of those things and they’re going to happen." Basically a bigger budget.

3. The expansion of Nippert Stadium, including more seats, luxury boxes and infrastructure such as restrooms and concession stands.

This is the "trigger moment to launch that thing."

"I think you can't put a price tag on what this has done for this program, this department, this university and this community," Thomas said.

Kelly said he was excited about the message he received in today's meeting with Thomas, Zimpher and Wyler.

"I too need the gas to run, and today my tank was filled," Kelly said.

Kelly said he's told other universities that he's not going to be interested in their jobs.

"My name has come out with virtually every job that's out there," Kelly said. "I'm hoping very soon Obama mentions my name as ambassadorship to Ireland, that would be nice. That may continue to happen, but I can tell you that I'm going to be at the University of Cincinnati."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes it is the same Jeff Wyler and because he is on the Board at the school.
    And because he's one of the wealthier local alums -- one who has ties to lots of other peoplem with the kind of deep pockets that will form the booster-base that will be required to start pushing UC to the next level financially.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And because he's one of the wealthier local alums -- one who has ties to lots of other peoplem with the kind of deep pockets that will form the booster-base that will be required to start pushing UC to the next level financially.
    Desperately searching for a reference to college degrees being cheaper in the country, but I'm giving up.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Desperately searching for a reference to college degrees being cheaper in the country, but I'm giving up.
    I'm just wondering if he started the meeting by telling Brian Kelly: "Hello, I'm Jeff Wyler."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

CINCINNATI -- Coach Brian Kelly says he's happy with the steps No. 13 Cincinnati is taking to upgrade its football facilities, and he's not interested in any job elsewhere.

Kelly met Tuesday with the school's president, athletic director and the head of its board of trustees to get an update on their plans to improve Cincinnati's football stadium and practice fields. He was upbeat after the meeting, saying there was no reason to listen to other job offers.

Kelly has been mentioned as a candidate for numerous job openings as soon as the Bearcats finished No. 17 in his first year.

The Bearcats (10-2) won the Big East title this season, sending them to the first BCS bowl in school history. A win Saturday at Hawaii would set a school record for victories in a season.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3739515
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Turn Off Ads?