Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard to Listen to

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Hard to Listen to

Since getting my MLB At Bat application or my iPhone, I can tell you that other announcers around the league are better than what is the Reds booth. I listen to Red's games with the away announcers.

I tried to listen to the Reds side of things and lasted about 10 minutes.

Jeff Brantley is awful- sorry, there's just no other way to say it. It's like listening to one of the Truckin' Bozos callers broadcasting a baseball game.

Marty is the type of guy who doesn't give a hoot what he says about people, but if you criticize him, he brings out the "I was here before you" crap. He is seriously one of the most pompous and arrogant people I've ever heard on the radio. He wears his politics on his sleeve, his knowledge of baseball dates to circa 1970, and he comes across as angry on air, something you learn in an introductory broadcasting class not to do.

Maybe someone should tell Thom that batters over the past few years should really "buckle down" against Tim Lincecum. Maybe "change their approach" and he wouldn't be so darned good.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Thom is solid in my book. He does a few annoying things (like over-pronouncing Hispanic names -- likely from his days in Arizona) but overall I like him very much. It's so refreshing when he's doing the TV games and not Keels (and not Grande in past years).

Thom's great. Use to love listening to him do DBack games as well. He can make a LeCure pitched game easier to watch, and that says something (BTW I'd be happy if I never watched a game he pitched ever again. Like going to the dentist).

Kelch (?) does a pretty good job and Brantley is a wonderful color guy, barf as PBP. Keels? Yikes. I typically hit mute if he's on - like this weekend.

Well I respect all of your opinions but I love the Brennaman's! Marty,is one of the greatest announcers that I have ever listened to.He tells it like it is! bad or good and does'nt give players passes if they aren't doing their jobs.He also praises players or the reds team when they do great and are playing good.

Tom,is exactly the same way as his dad and imo thats a great thing.He calls the game straight down the middle just like Marty.He praises the players or the reds team when they play great but if they are out there stinking it up then he will tell you about it on the air.

Thats exactly what I want from a announcer when im listening to the reds or anyother team of mine.Thats exactly what im getting from the Brennaman's every single game and thats why they're two very good announcers and why Marty is a HOFer.Tom will also be a HOFer atleast imo.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I love how Reds fans eat their own. Thom is a Reds fan (unlike guys like George Grande who couldn't have cared less) yet he's still a pro's pro. It's no accident that he is announcing national games for FOX and announces BCS bowl games in football. The guy is a very good announcer and the Reds are fortunate to have him. He continues to be a rising star in the business and I'm proud of him.

I also like Jim Kelch very much. He is excellent. And I'll always have a soft spot for Marty. Chris Welsh isn't great, but he's not bad. I like him for the most part.

Jeff Brantley (will someone fine me in kangaroo court if I don't refer to him as "Cowboy"?) is very good as a color analyst IMO and very shaky doing PBP. Overall, I like him though. He is extremely unique, that's for sure. But he gives very good insight at times, especially when it comes to pitching of course.

Keels is terrible. Not quite as bad as Grande was though. Keels is so bad on many levels and you won't find one Ohio State fan on here that is surprised. In fact, many of us warned you about him. He's not the worst announcer in the world, but he's pretty bad and he will annoy the crap out of you at times with his mistakes, lack of insight, always confusing players, making up words like "absitively" and incorrectly thinking he's clever and just not being prepared for his job.

I think everyone should get used to Thom, because I have a feeling he'll be doing Reds broadcasts for the next 25+ years.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I think everyone should get used to Thom, because I have a feeling he'll be doing Reds broadcasts for the next 25+ years.
    I believe Thom's gonna be here as long as he wants to be. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. Thom is a drama queen at times. I just hope he doesn't turn into the egomaniac that Marty did.

Marty didn't make it to the broadcasters wing of the HOF on longevity alone.

At one time Marty was one of the best I've ever heard. (back when he called PBP instead of hosting The Marty Show) He can still be brilliant at times, nobody calls a game winning hit any better.

Yes I Am A Reds Fan. (I'll duck and cover now)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I love how Reds fans eat their own.

Keels is terrible. Not quite as bad as Grande was though. Keels is so bad on many levels and you won't find one Ohio State fan on here that is surprised. In fact, many of us warned you about him. He's not the worst announcer in the world, but he's pretty bad and he will annoy the crap out of you at times with his mistakes, lack of insight, always confusing players, making up words like "absitively" and incorrectly thinking he's clever and just not being prepared for his job.

This post gave me the first laugh of the day!

Not that I disagree with you Blitz (about PK), but that we are smacked on the hand with a ruler for our criticism, and then you jump right in the criticism boat with us.

For what it's worth, the only thing that comes through when Keels is doing the games is that he is a huge Reds fan. I agree, that does count for something. And to be fair, I think Keels is improving.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I believe Thom's gonna be here as long as he wants to be. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. Thom is a drama queen at times. I just hope he doesn't turn into the egomaniac that Marty did.

Marty didn't make it to the broadcasters wing of the HOF on longevity alone.

At one time Marty was one of the best I've ever heard. (back when he called PBP instead of hosting The Marty Show) He can still be brilliant at times, nobody calls a game winning hit any better.

Yes I Am A Reds Fan. (I'll duck and cover now)
    I think you nailed it, Ron.

Marty still is the best, we just don't get to hear that part of him as often.

My idea of heaven is sitting outside on a warm summer night, a slight breeze in the air, and Marty and Joe on the radio...

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Jeff Brantley (will someone fine me in kangaroo court if I don't refer to him as "Cowboy"?) is very good as a color analyst IMO and very shaky doing PBP. Overall, I like him though. He is extremely unique, that's for sure. But he gives very good insight at times, especially when it comes to pitching of course.
    I'll go the other way around. I like Brantley when he's doing solo PBP, but when he's doing color with somebody else around the bantor just drives me nuts. When he's by himself with nobody egging him on, he's actually pretty fun to listen to.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

there was an article in the Wall Street Journal recently about baseball TV announcers. they are quite a chatty bunch compared to a couple of generations ago. the analyst i am fine with. he can add to my knowledge of the game. however, imo the pbp guy is not needed on a TV broadcast. i can see what just happened i don't need a guy to tell me what just happened.

i usually watch the TV games with the sound down & listen to some sort of instrumental music during the game. occasionally i'll turn up the volume when i am confused about what just happened (although i can usually just rewind the game & figure it out myself).

After listening to the Nationals announcers for the last 3 days, people should feel lucky to have the Reds broadcasters they do. Keels is not very good, but he's a P/T guy. The Nationals guys are awful. The Reds broadcasting team is definitely better than what most other clubs have and the ones that are better or on par are almost on major market teams (The Cardinals being the exception).

I actually like Thom. I enjoy the broadcasts more when he's on.

Thom makes me want to punch him.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Keel sounded like a NPR journalist on Rolen's dinger. Painful.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?