Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who's Your Top Five Greatest Artists of All Time? (Music)

Re: Who's Your Top Five Greatest Artists of All Time? (Music)

Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, and Dylan...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Legends Never Die
    In my top 5 in no order

1. Pink Floyd
    2. Kid Cudi
    3. Darius rucker/hootie and the blowfish
    4. Johnny Cash
    5. Kansas

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Not necessarily my favorite 5 but I will go with
    1. Beatles
    2. Springsteen
    3. the Smiths
    4. Public enemy
    5. Nirvana

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

1. Elvis Presley: more chart success than the Beatles and McCartney/Wings combined- think about that.
    2. The Beatles/McCartney
    3. The Rolling Stones
    4. Elton John
    5. Bruce Springsteen

Louis Armstrong
    Duke Ellington
    Sinatra
    Les Paul
    Beatles
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    1. Elvis Presley: more chart success than the Beatles and McCartney/Wings combined- think about that.
    Yeah but he can't hold a torch to those Glee kids.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...71F78K20110216

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Yeah but he can't hold a torch to those Glee kids.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...71F78K20110216
    Don't you just roll your eyes at that? I mean does/should that even count? Of course it does, it sells records [or downloads as the kids say nowadays] but honestly in 5 years is anyone really gonna listen to their version of 'Don't stop believing' over the Journey version? Highly doubtful.

I guess we should have an 'original artist' category. Of course yes that would kill off a few songs from some chart toppers, but so be it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Don't you just roll your eyes at that? I mean does/should that even count? Of course it does, it sells records [or downloads as the kids say nowadays] but honestly in 5 years is anyone really gonna listen to their version of 'Don't stop believing' over the Journey version? Highly doubtful.

I guess we should have an 'original artist' category. Of course yes that would kill off a few songs from some chart toppers, but so be it.
    I would hope in 5 years nobody is listening to any version of "Don't Stop Believing"

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Gosh, I can say the Beatles are better than all those guys. Complexity, volume, and all that other stuff don't beat a good hook for me.

They may have written great operas and symphonies, but if you don't like opera and symphonies...
    On no musical level are the Beatles comparable with Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. Their music has had such a sustained saturation of western civilization that it is very easy to say that music as we know it would not exist without their accomplishments.
    Bach was the greatest contrapuntal composer who opened up so many dimensions of polyphony that it has still not exhausted composers today.
    Mozart and Beethoven carried on his influence into melodic inventions and motivic innovation that have been unrivalled in the over 200 years since they died and have inspired billions of people to read, practice and perform their music.
    The music of these three composers are a part of every Christian church, every western rite of passage and are so ingrained in our culture, their music is used to signify basically all of the deepest, purest aspects of our collective humanity.
    As for the Beatles, if they were such geniuses, then what is Paul McCartney doing these days that is so great? Tell me about his latest musical opus or his genre defying musical innovations.
    Last edited by Betterread; 02-22-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

What contemporary artist is still going to be relevant 200 years from now?

With that said, I agree about the contributions of Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart, but I'm more fond of Handel just for listening pleasure. And a bit more recent but still pretty good in his own right was Rachmaninov. I have a couple recordings he made shortly before he died.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Rachmaninov wrote strikingly beautiful melodies and had an innate feel for writing for the piano, whether it be solo or with an orchestra. Have you heard him perform his own music? I am currently listening to my favorite version of the standard rep warhorse the Rach 3 concerto - and it is performed by the composer in 1939 with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia orchestra. It is not a virtuoso performance, and he does not play the commonly played elaborage cadenza - yet the piece's structure comes through crystal clear through his piano playing.
    Rounding out my top five greatest artists would be Brahms and Schubert

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Rachmaninov wrote strikingly beautiful melodies and had an innate feel for writing for the piano, whether it be solo or with an orchestra. Have you heard him perform his own music? I am currently listening to my favorite version of the standard rep warhorse the Rach 3 concerto - and it is performed by the composer in 1939 with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia orchestra. It is not a virtuoso performance, and he does not play the commonly played elaborage cadenza - yet the piece's structure comes through crystal clear through his piano playing.
    Rounding out my top five greatest artists would be Brahms and Schubert
    I have some original recordings on vinyl. One was released in '40 and the other in '41 I think. I wonder if they're worth anything.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I have some original recordings on vinyl. One was released in '40 and the other in '41 I think. I wonder if they're worth anything.
    yeah but do you have Rachmaninov's Rookie Card? Reminds me of Lucy telling Schroeder in the Peanuts Christmas special that Beethoven wasn't that great because he never appeared on a bubble gum card.

My personal top 5...

Pink Floyd
    Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath
    GnR
    Motley Crue
    Alice in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

So I guess that Elvis would not be in there then, considering that he wrote 0 of his songs.
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?