Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Keppinger fractures knee

Re: Keppinger fractures knee

Janish gets the call to the big leagues

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Louisville — Louisville Bats shortstop Paul Janish received news of his call-up to the Cincinnati Reds Monday night, May 13, in the dugout at Louisville Slugger Field.

Manager Rick Sweet called for Luis Bolivar to pinch hit for Janish.

"I asked him what was going on," said Janish, who had a hit from two official at-bats in the game to raise his average to .293. 'He said, 'Well, you're going to the big leagues.'"

Janish, a former Dayton Dragon, said he felt bad for Reds shortstop Jeff Keppinger, but was excited about his first invitation to the Reds.

"It's still settling in," said Janish, who took a quick shower following the 5-3 Louisville victory over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. "I'm driving up in the morning."

Janish said this was a great time to be called to the big leagues since his mother, Debbie, was visiting from Houston and his father, Tom, was flying in for the weekend on Friday. He said his dad would probably change flight plans.

Sweet said he received a call on his cell phone from Reds farm director Terry Reynolds just before Janish was to bat in the eighth.

"My phone's on 24 hours," Sweet said. "I asked Terry if he wanted me to take Paul out of the game and he told me he could stay in, but I did that once with a player who then broke his thumb that kept him from going up. I wasn't going to do that with Paul.

"He has matured into a very good player. He will be able to play up there and hold his own."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...janishweb.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    And Caveat, you may be right, but the Reds were one of those rare teams with depth since Kepp was really the insurance policy for Gonzalez (or the other way around, however you want to look at it).
    Kepp's a fine player, but a great shortstop he's not. He makes plays on the balls he gets to, but his range isn't what you'd like to see for the position. Without the numbers in front of me, I'd guess he ranks somewhere in the bottom third of all major league SS in zone rating. Even if you don't put any stock in such metrics, just watching the games can tell you that Kepp isn't as quick on his feet as the two players flanking him (EE & BP).

His bat was good enough to forgive a lot of defensive sins, however, and the team really doesn't have any prolific groundball pitchers on staff to suffer from his play. Even given that, you'll notice a pronounced difference defensively when Janish is in the lineup, I'd wager.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Well, this is terrible. Keppinger was our best offensive player in my opinion, and possibly the best player on the team overall. He played nearly everyday and was extremely consistent.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Keppinger was our best offensive player in my opinion, and possibly the best player on the team overall.
    Based solely on 2008 offensively (at least as far as Bako is concerned), I'd go Votto, Bako, Edwin, Kepp, with Phillips nipping on his heels. Phillips could probably even be put ahead of Kepp (BP has a far superior OPS), but Phillips batting clean-up against righties has made me bitter.

and possibly the best player on the team overall.
    Here I'd go Votto, Phillips, EE, Keppinger.
    Last edited by Screwball; 05-14-2008 at 02:41 AM. Reason: forgot how good Bako's been

Just saw this about Kep. Terrible news. He was the one consistent hitter throughout the season. I'm assuming he will be gone the rest of the season with this type of injury.
    Best of luck to Janish! Sounds like a fine defensive player.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Good luck, Paul. Look forward to seeing the defense.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Jeff Keppinger is not better than Adam Dunn.

Kepp is a great guy and he has been a Godsend to this organization, considering he can play a few positions and he was had for free.

With that said, a guy like Gonzalez it seems is not liked around here, but Kepp is absolutely overvalued on this board and I would assume by the Cincinnati fan base, just like every other scrappy white dude that is underpaid, "works hard", gets the most out of his limited talent...blah, blah, blah.

See: Chris Stynes, Ryan Freel, Sean Casey, etc.

It's the Pete Rose effect.

The guy has a lifetime .800 OPS which is solid, but you'd think he was a perennial all-star after reading this board. I have read that he's an RBI producer. The guy has 600+ PA's and has 70 RBI. We read time and time again that Adam Dunn never knocks in runs and now I'm reading that Kepp does and is one of the best players on the team and the list does not include Dunn. Yet Dunn has a higher OPS and drives in more runs per plate appearance. Neither guy has a super glove. Maybe Kepp's is better, but how much? Enough to justify some of the over the top hyperbole I'm reading?

If the new ranking system of players is production per dollar, then Kepp leads the way. Otherwise, he's a solid player who will help the team, but to say he's the best or even better than Dunn, is way over the top, IMO.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 05-14-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Jeff Keppinger is not better than Adam Dunn.
    Under my limited knowledge, for 40+ games under any measurable standard hasn't he been??...

I'm a Dunn fan, but am weary of looking at what he's capable of doing instead of the reality of what he currently is NOT doing...I want nothing more than AD to carry this team on his broad shoulders to a wonderful contract extension, but nothing is going on at present that stimulates my excitement that it is happening...

Just MHO...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I don't know. Probably not. I'd imagine it takes a lot to get a decent SS in-season. 2009 should be the target for winning, and giving up talent that could help you then seems like a bad idea. For your first question, I'd have no idea where to look as my baseball knowledge is pretty limited to the Reds.
    Keppinger's RC/27 this year is 5.70.

There's only 14 shortstops in the majors right now with a RC/27 of at least 4.00. Of those 14, the only guy who would even be remotely possible to get without surrendering either significant talent and/or adding a large salary to the payroll would be Cristian Guzman. But there's a couple problems with Guzman, namely 1) he isn't really as good as he's played this season so he's likely to regress, 2) his defense is well below average, and 3) he plays for Jim Bowden.

That leaves you with a couple options:

1) Attempt to trade for a legit SS prospect who is not yet a regular MLB player
    2) Attempt to trade for an MLB regular SS who isn't any good
    3) Attempt to trade for an MLB reserve SS (or AAA fringe SS) who isn't any good
    4) Find a temporary SS from your own system's depth

Similar to trading for an established, solid MLB shortstop, option #1 will cost you a significant amount of talent. And if you select Option 2 or 3, then you'll just be sacrificing talent in order to receive a player who probably isn't anymore productive than the player you'd have if you simply went with Option 4 (i.e. Janish).
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Here's my Jay Bruce case....

Hairston at SS...Freel your utility/backup infielder, Patterson your 4th outfielder, and Bruce your starting centerfielder.

Doesn't make sense based on positions...so, Paul Janish is the right choice...good luck, kid!!

I think we can safely say at this point that Janish was a successful 5th round draft choice.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    Under my limited knowledge, for 40+ games under any measurable standard hasn't he been??...

I'm a Dunn fan, but am weary of looking at what he's capable of doing instead of the reality of what he currently is NOT doing...I want nothing more than AD to carry this team on his broad shoulders to a wonderful contract extension, but nothing is going on at present that stimulates my excitement that it is happening...

Just MHO...
    40 games is not enough to tell me Kepp is better, when I have years worth of data to prove otherwise.

We all know Dunn is slumping and Kepp is playing great through 40 games. But with that said, even with Kepp playing great and Dunn struggling, there is not much that separates them offensively.

Kepp .819 OPS (3 HR, 21 RBI) .809 OPS

Dunn .739 (6 HR, 19 RBI) career .894 OPS.

We all know it's a matter of time before Dunn surpasses him. To claim Kepp is better based on 2 months is short-sighted, IMO and a that kind of short-sightedness has been a thorn in this franchise's side for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    His bat was good enough to forgive a lot of defensive sins, however, and the team really doesn't have any prolific groundball pitchers on staff to suffer from his play. Even given that, you'll notice a pronounced difference defensively when Janish is in the lineup, I'd wager.
    Indeed. Kepp's line is .324/.373/.446 for an OPS of .819. He is 14th in the NL in batting average, and he has been a consistently good contact hitter. He only struck out 8 times in 39 games. We will miss him.

I hope Paul Janish does very well. I am looking forward to a great fielder at short, and I hope he can hit .250/.300/.350.

What is the ETA of Alex Gonzalez? Haven't heard any details for a while. Get well soon Country Kepp!
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I didn't read all 7 pages, but has anyone proposed Phillips to SS, Freel to 2B?

Seems like that fixes the leadoff spot and the D up the middle.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I didn't read all 7 pages, but has anyone proposed Phillips to SS, Freel to 2B?

Seems like that fixes the leadoff spot and the D up the middle.
    That won't work. Phillips has to bat 3rd or 4th, and the SS has to bat 2nd.

Turn Off Ads?