Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds done dealing?

Re: Chris Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think so too, but that's exactly what you sign to stash at AAA in case of emergency. Dickerson would be pretty decent insurance. He would have been a much better option last season instead of fooling with Willie Harris, Mike Costanzo and Kris Negron when the need arose. He's probably a better option than Dennis Phipps or Felix Perez and may even prove to be a better option than Xavier Paul if Paul should turn back into a pumpkin at some point in 2013.

While they are at it, they should find a AAAA guy who can play SS as well. The idea of Jason Donald starting at SS for a string of consecutive games if Cozart goes down gives me the heebee jeebees.
    Yeah I agree. I wasn't trying to be controversial but when I saw that line from SWB I just couldn't believe what a clear example of a AAAA guy Dickerson is. Sign him and stick him in Louisville, fine by me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Hamilton hits, he's the first choice if somebody goes down. If not, I'm not real fond of any of those other AAA CF options. I'd cut Perez if they need to make a some room. Phipps might be my next choice as is. I'm completely underwhelmed by Ryan Lamarre.
    So that would make Dickerson the fourth option, perhaps fifth, depending on whether Bruce is going to play any CF in 2013 (Hamilton, Bruce, Heisey, Choo). That's a lot of injuries at once, and, if I were a wagering guy, Dickerson would know that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    So that would make Dickerson the fourth option, perhaps fifth, depending on whether Bruce is going to play any CF in 2013 (Hamilton, Bruce, Heisey, Choo). That's a lot of injuries at once, and, if I were a wagering guy, Dickerson would know that as well.
    OK, I'll play along. Lets say Choo gets hurt. Heisey moves into CF. Who comes up and takes the bench role while Choo is on he DL? Assume Hamilton hasn't done enough to come up and play every day and you don't want him to come up and sit.

I think it only takes one injury for another AAA OF to be next in line. If you're like me, you still don't want Heisey out there more than 3 or 4 days per week, who plays the other days? Xavier Paul isn't really an option in CF. I seriously doubt that the Reds think Bruce is either.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Re: Are the Reds done dealing?

The Reds are going to be reluctant to bring Hamilton up as a reserve. I think he will likely play in the minors until September, unless he just destroys AAA and is deemed ready to start in the majors.

Otherwise, Hamilton gets his reps playing everyday at AAA. I don't see him playing part time on the Reds this year.

Ryan Lamarre? Not for a meaningful major league role in 2013. Just not ready for that.

No, CF is a place where an experienced hand at AAA would be welcome. Even if he doesn't play much CF in Louisville, because of Hamilton, a Dickerson, or a Grady Sizemore getting healthy, or a guy like Dewayne Wise could be valuable.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds are going to be reluctant to bring Hamilton up as a reserve. I think he will likely play in the minors until September, unless he just destroys AAA and is deemed ready to start in the majors.

Otherwise, Hamilton gets his reps playing everyday at AAA. I don't see him playing part time on the Reds this year.

Ryan Lamarre? Not for a meaningful major league role in 2013. Just not ready for that.

No, CF is a place where an experienced hand at AAA would be welcome. Even if he doesn't play much CF in Louisville, because of Hamilton, a Dickerson, or a Grady Sizemore getting healthy, or a guy like Dewayne Wise could be valuable.
    Agreed.

Exactly, We can say there are 4 or 5 guys for Louisville, but they are Derrick Robinson, Denis Phipps, Felix Perez, Kris Negron maybe Lamarre or Fellhauer. None of those seem like options in Cincy if something goes wrong. Any of those guys is easily pushed aside (or cut loose completely) for a AAAA guy who could be the next guy in for Cincy. The 26th man if you will.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I guess it all depends.. Say Choo is out for 2-3 weeks.
    I could easily see them calling up Hamilton to fill in.
    I mean, it would make more sense than Negron or LaMarre.
    2-3 weeks in the majors (even if he is not ready) probably isn't going to damage him.
    But yea, ideally we sign a AAAA guy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

my wish list was simple. 2 trades, neither of which came to fruition so they were likely not possible. I wanted Tyler Moore from the Nats and Dan Strailey from the A's. The players i was willing to give up were all traded: Stubbs, DiDi et al. Stubbs would have played well in Oakland, certainly his defense would have. Stubbs and DiDi for Strailey would have made me giddy. Leake for Moore. seems feasible. Then use Heisey as a placeholder until Hamilton arrives.

Still I cannot complain about what did happen. I think Moore is better than Ludwick... and I think Moore is wasted in WAS, So i'd love to see a mid season trade.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Moore is turning 26 and never showed much OBP skills. Big year last year, but have to wonder if he's more AAAA guy.

In a contending year, the known value of Ludwick makes more sense IMO, even at Moore's best he's unlikely to be more than a mild improvement. Having to perhaps give up a big prospect to get him would not have been the best course of action IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    my wish list was simple. 2 trades, neither of which came to fruition so they were likely not possible. I wanted Tyler Moore from the Nats and Dan Strailey from the A's. The players i was willing to give up were all traded: Stubbs, DiDi et al. Stubbs would have played well in Oakland, certainly his defense would have. Stubbs and DiDi for Strailey would have made me giddy. Leake for Moore. seems feasible. Then use Heisey as a placeholder until Hamilton arrives.

Still I cannot complain about what did happen. I think Moore is better than Ludwick... and I think Moore is wasted in WAS, So i'd love to see a mid season trade.
    Hey TRF, nice to see ya

Exactly, We can say there are 4 or 5 guys for Louisville, but they are Derrick Robinson, Denis Phipps, Felix Perez, Kris Negron maybe Lamarre or Fellhauer. None of those seem like options in Cincy if something goes wrong. Any of those guys is easily pushed aside (or cut loose completely) for a AAAA guy who could be the next guy in for Cincy. The 26th man if you will.
    Stubbs went down for awhile last season and was replaced without an issue by Heisey, Valdez and Negron. As long as there is someone on the team that can cover CF defensively, I'm comfortable. All those guys at Louisville will do that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Stubbs went down for awhile last season and was replaced without an issue by Heisey, Valdez and Negron. As long as there is someone on the team that can cover CF defensively, I'm comfortable. All those guys at Louisville will do that.
    Stubbs going down improved the line-up. If Choo goes down it will hurt. I want some one who could platoon with Heisey to hopefully avoid long stretches of out making. None of those other options qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Hey TRF, nice to see ya
    I agree- nice to see you TRF!
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Hey TRF, nice to see ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I agree- nice to see you TRF!
    a year away from all social networking. no... anything. except the redszone dynasty league. it was refreshing and difficult, especially with the reds doing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Moore is turning 26 and never showed much OBP skills. Big year last year, but have to wonder if he's more AAAA guy.

In a contending year, the known value of Ludwick makes more sense IMO, even at Moore's best he's unlikely to be more than a mild improvement. Having to perhaps give up a big prospect to get him would not have been the best course of action IMO.
    agree to disagree. He's 26 this year, entering his prime years. prior to last year he had back to back 31 HR seasons. he's younger and likely to stay healthy and cheap. The opposite of Ludwick. Ludwick isn't exactly a known quantity. What is known is he had a very good bounce back year. What isn't know is his ability to sustain that success as he's got no real track record of doing that, not even in STL. Moore is a better value IMO, but it's moot as the Reds didn't even sniff to see if he was available. Ludwick's breakout season came at age 29. Moore's rookie year at age 25 was better than any Ludwick season prior to age 29. In 104 games last year, 29 AAA, 75 MLB he hit 19 HR's, 9 at AAA. Dude has monster power. I hope that with all the guys the Nats have brought in plus four of their top 10 prospects being OF's they see he is expendable and let him go.

Turn Off Ads?