Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Basketball

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Xavier Basketball

Of course not -- your conference gets paid even if you're just a play-in team and a coach gets to list the season as a "tournament made" on his resume.

I'm speaking purely from my own, fan, point of view.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you go to the play-in game, there's a shot you could go to the Final Four http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2...asketball_team

If you go to the NIT, well, playing in front of 5k in MSG is your best hope.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The A-10 also has 13 teams now compared to 10 in the Big East. And they'll likely end with about the same number of bids. Also, the A-10 does not have any contenders like Creighton or Villanova. SLU was looking like they might be a pretty high seed until they lost at home to Duquesne. How does that happen?

Xavier/Dayton in a play-in game? Blech.
    As I predicted a couple weeks ago, the A10 got 6 teams in and thanks to Providence winning their tourney, the Big East conference squeaked out four including Xavier in the play in.

Your prediction of a Xavier-Dayton play in was a pretty good call though. Dayton just barely escaped a play in scenario. I hope the Flyers give OSU all they can handle.

Providence was in either way. A-10 has 46% of its teams in vs. 40% from the Big East. Pretty comparable, though clearly in the A-10's favor. I still do not see a contender to even make the Sweet Sixteen from the A-10's six. Maybe Dayton? I would be surprised if Nova and Creighton are not both playing in the second weekend. Not sure either is quite strong enough to sneak into the Final Four this year, though. If Creighton is shooting well, they can beat anyone, but if they're not hitting a high percentage from 3 they're going out against the first good team they face.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If you go to the play-in game, there's a shot you could go to the Final Four http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2...asketball_team

If you go to the NIT, well, playing in front of 5k in MSG is your best hope.
    The insanity of the play in game is this:

If you had to choose between a #12 seed that requires a play-in game or a straight #13 seed, I think most people would take the #13 (and the guaranteed "in" & week of rest that comes with it).

They've set up a situation now where the lower seed is less desirable (independent of matchups) than the higher one.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The insanity of the play in game is this:

If you had to choose between a #12 seed that requires a play-in game or a straight #13 seed, I think most people would take the #13 (and the guaranteed "in" & week of rest that comes with it).

They've set up a situation now where the lower seed is less desirable (independent of matchups) than the higher one.
    The 13 seeds all won their "play-in games."

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The 13 seeds all won their "play-in games."
    Which goes back to my original point -- your "play in" game is your resume in the regular season and your conference tournament.

So you'd prefer it if the NCAA Tournament was still 64 teams and Xavier was prepping for a 1st Round NIT game right now?

I might not disagree with that (at least in most years; I'm pretty pleased Xavier is in at all this year), but I'm trying to understand your point.

So you'd prefer it if the NCAA Tournament was still 64 teams and Xavier was prepping for a 1st Round NIT game right now?

I might not disagree with that (at least in most years; I'm pretty pleased Xavier is in at all this year), but I'm trying to understand your point.
    Ask me later in the week. I'd rather Tennessee play a couple rds in the NIT as opposed to ending their season on Wednesday night. I think it was unnecessary for the NCAA to extend the field. Let the bubble teams compete iin the NIT rather than get knocked out before the first weekend.

I'd rather lose the first game of the NCAA Tournament than win the NIT. The NIT is okay as a consolation prize, but it's completely meaningless.

12. Likes:

dabvu2498 (03-17-2014)

I don't ever, ever, ever want my team in the NIT. Of course, the team I root for hasn't had the option the last couple years, but I can't fathom preferring the NIT to the NCAA tournament.

NIT Champion = tallest "little person"

I'd rather lose the first game of the NCAA Tournament than win the NIT. The NIT is okay as a consolation prize, but it's completely meaningless.
    Same here.

But I'd rather the tournament be 64 teams. You make the field of 64 or you don't. No "play-in" games. I hate the concept of expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Same here.

But I'd rather the tournament be 64 teams. You make the field of 64 or you don't. No "play-in" games. I hate the concept of expansion.
    I do agree with that. I'm willing to take a year off from feeling that way, though.

I don't think it's meaningless for a young team that needs the extra weeks of work and experience. If you have no chance to go far in the NCAA you might as well get to play a few more games. As a fan, I'm OK with it cause I get my season extended.

Turn Off Ads?