Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Votto and Bruce need to be in Cincy Aug. 1st

Votto and Bruce need to be in Cincy Aug. 1st

The Reds in my opinion could save thereselves alot of money if they call up Votto and especially Bruce after the trade deadline. If the Reds trade Dunn they need to see if Bruce can hit major league pitching this year. If they do give him the call and he hits good enough then they would not have to spend 4-8 million dollars on a stop gap like Mike Cameron until Bruce is ready. They could just use all 25-32 million on bullpen help and maybe a couple starters. Anyone else agree?
    Last edited by BearcatShane; 07-15-2007 at 12:45 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto and Bruce ned to be in Cincy Aug. 1st

YES MAYBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    If the Reds trade Dunn they need to see if Bruce can hit major league pitching this year.
    They should make sure he can hit AAA pitching before they move him along. In the two games prior to tonight he was 1-8 albeit with a homerun. His 2-4 tonight helps that average but this guy was hardly a top prospect for the Yankees (2-3, 5.22ERA). The Reds need to give him a chance to sink or swim in AAA and not rush him. If he forces there hand and continues his torrid season, give him a call up in September. So far he has at times looked overmatched with the Bats.

I do agree that Votto should be up here as soon as they can move either Hatte or Conine.

Also how does this lineup look?

1. CF Josh Hamilton
    2. 2B Brandon Phillips
    3. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    4. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
    5. LF Jay Bruce
    6 1B Joey Votto
    7. SS Alex Gonzalez
    8. C David Ross
    9 Pitcher

If Votto and Bruce don't struggle a ton when their called up that lineup can be very dangerous. Why not get Bruce ready now so he knows what to expect in 2008? And we could get a good starter and totally rebuild the bullpen this offseason. Thats just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    They should make sure he can hit AAA pitching before they move him along. In the two games prior to tonight he was 1-8 albeit with a homerun. His 2-4 tonight helps that average but this guy was hardly a top prospect for the Yankees (2-3, 5.22ERA).

I do agree that Votto should be up here as soon as they can move either Hatte or Conine.

Thats only 8 at bats though, and even if the guy the Yanks threw out there tonight has been strugling this year you can't expect a 4-4 night. I'll be concerned if he's hitting .250 down there after 80 at bats. It's not like he's been overmatched in AAA either.

Thats only 8 at bats though, and even if the guy the Yanks threw out there tonight has been strugling this year you can't expect a 4-4 night. I'll be concerned if he's hitting .250 down there after 80 at bats. It's not like he's been overmatched in AAA either.
    My point exactly. It might be jumping the gun to call for his promotion when he only has 12 ABs in AAA. He needs more than 2 weeks to prove himself.

My point exactly. It might be jumping the gun to call for his promotion when he only has 12 ABs in AAA. He needs more than 2 weeks to prove himself.

Yea, I'll give ya that. But after 100-120 at bats if he's hitting .320 with 8 homers and 30 RBI I think it would then be time to give him a shot.

Senor Votto

Votto: Yes
    Bruce: No

Yea, I'll give ya that. But after 100-120 at bats if he's hitting .320 with 8 homers and 30 RBI I think it would then be time to give him a shot.
    I agree. Hopefully he'll be able to put up those numbers and force the decision. Although if we keep Dunn and Griffey he won't have a spot to play in and we'll just have to wait until next year.

Edit: I'd like his numbers against AAA lefties to be decent as well before he gets the call.

I agree. Hopefully he'll be able to put up those numbers and force the decision. Although if we keep Dunn and Griffey he won't have a spot to play in and we'll just have to wait until next year.

Edit: I'd like his numbers against AAA lefties to be decent as well before he gets the call.

If we still have Dunn and Griffey and August 1st I won't be happy. We NEED that 13 mill in my opinion.

Senor Votto

If we still have Dunn and Griffey and August 1st I won't be happy. We NEED that 13 mill in my opinion.
    If we don't have don't have Dunn and Griffey I won't be happy.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO GET A POWER HITTER ANY CHEAPER THAN DUNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    If we don't have don't have Dunn and Griffey I won't be happy.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO GET A POWER HITTER ANY CHEAPER THAN DUNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much power do we need? Hamilton will hit at LEAST 20 per year, Griffey if healty is going to hit at least 35, Phillips will hit at least 25 per year, Gonzo will hit 15-20, Edwin I think will hit 15-20, Ross will hit 20. And I'd bet Bruce and Votto would combine for at least 40. We've led the NL in homers the past couple years where has it gotten us?

We've led the NL in homers the past couple years where has it gotten us?

I'm tired of hearing this argument. The problem hasn't been the offense. Look at the pitching staffs for why this team has struggled for years.

Senor Votto

How much power do we need? Hamilton will hit at LEAST 20 per year, Griffey if healty is going to hit at least 35, Phillips will hit at least 25 per year, Gonzo will hit 15-20, Edwin I think will hit 15-20, Ross will hit 20. And I'd bet Bruce and Votto would combine for at least 40. We've led the NL in homers the past couple years where has it gotten us?
    So far Hamilton hasn't proved he can stay healthy for a whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

I'm tired of hearing this argument. The problem hasn't been the offense. Look at the pitching staffs for why this team has struggled for years.
    And thats why I wanna trade Dunn, use the money we would be paying him on pitching.

Turn Off Ads?