Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds still plan on using Chapman as a starter

Reds still plan on using Chapman as a starter

I thought this probably deserved a thread of it's own since some have wondered what role Chapman would be in next season.

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty reiterated the club's plans to return reliever Aroldis Chapman to the ranks of starting pitchers. This will give the Reds seven bona fide contenders for the five-man rotation: Chapman, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey (all three of whom pitched well in Game 3 of the NLDS), Edinson Volquez, Travis Wood, Mike Leake and Bronson Arroyo.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...layers-excited

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Reds still plan on using Chapman as a starter

I personally liked the quote from Votto:

"I don't see any (of the regulars) going anywhere," he said. "We don't have very many free agents, if any. We've got a bunch of guys making the minimum, and we're here for good"

Sounds like ESPN's report of his demise to a larger market is greatly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I personally liked the quote from Votto:

"I don't see any (of the regulars) going anywhere," he said. "We don't have very many free agents, if any. We've got a bunch of guys making the minimum, and we're here for good"

Sounds like ESPN's report of his demise to a larger market is greatly exaggerated.
    It wasn't even really a report, more like conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    It wasn't even really a report, more like conjecture.
    Which is what E-spin does best. I don't take any of their "reporting" seriously.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

ESPN didn't say Votto was going anywhere next season: he can't. They said the Reds being able to keep him long-term may be in jeopardy. Nothing Votto said above disputes that. (It doesn't make it true either, but his quote doesn't disprove the conjecture.)

Back to the topic on hand, I think if Chapman is going to be a starter, he has to start the year in AAA. He simply does not have the control to be a ML starter at this point, and when runners reach base he is a totally different pitcher.

Personally, I would like to see him in the bullpen to start the year, not as a set-up man but as a long middle reliever. Let him pitch 2-3 innings in a variety of situations: close games, blow out wins, blow out losses, put him in the 5th inning, 7th inning, whatever. The more different game situations that he can experience, the better. But I feel he would progress more facing ML hitters and under the watchful eye of Price, and it would help the big league club more.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    ESPN didn't say Votto was going anywhere next season: he can't. They said the Reds being able to keep him long-term may be in jeopardy. Nothing Votto said above disputes that.

You don't think him saying "we're here for good" is "something said"?

While you can argue that in context it may mean little, I don't you you can say he said nothing that was relevant to the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I thought this probably deserved a thread of it's own since some have wondered what role Chapman would be in next season.
    Is this news? They've been very consistent in saying this all along

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You don't think him saying "we're here for good" is "something said"?

While you can argue that in context it may mean little, I don't you you can say he said nothing that was relevant to the subject matter.
    He didn't really say that. He said he didn't see any of the regulars going anywhere.

That seems to be more of a short term comment, seeing as how it's very unlikely the regulars are there "for good."

It was an encouraging comment, but wasn't exactly a statement of being around for the long haul.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    He didn't really say that. He said he didn't see any of the regulars going anywhere.

That seems to be more of a short term comment, seeing as how it's very unlikely the regulars are there "for good."

It was an encouraging comment, but wasn't exactly a statement of being around for the long haul.
    Exactly. "We're here for good" means "we're here until we have the option to go elsewhere, and then maybe some will be here and some won't". Which is what the ESPN article basically said as well.

From the Cincinnati Enquirer. Jocketty on Chapman's role in 2011:

“There is a possibility that (Chapman) could relieve, if we’ve got a lot of starting pitching,” Jocketty said. “Once we get to spring training we’ll know more. We haven’t made a final decision yet. Long term, we see him as a starter.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...still-relieve/

Hey, if it makes the team better then that's cool.

Dusty on Chapman - from John Fay:

BAKER: Eventually, yeah, he has No. 1 starter stuff. But he has, like I said, No. 1 bullpen stuff, too. You know what I mean. The only thing is, out of the bullpen, he doesn’t get the opportunity to use all his stuff. He might throw an occasional breaking ball. I hear he has an excellent change-up. Because guys start eliminating pitches generally when they go from starter to bullpen.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-on-chapman-4/

Turn Off Ads?