Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stupid Act #361: Being Drunk in Court

Stupid Act #361: Being Drunk in Court

Under the you know you have a problem when category....

Woman arrested for being drunk at DUI hearing
    Wednesday, November 22, 2006

By Gabrielle Banks, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A woman pleaded guilty to a driving under the influence charge yesterday in Allegheny County Common Pleas Court and was on her way to the electronic monitoring office when court officials administered a Breathalyzer test that revealed she had a blood alcohol level that was more than twice the legal limit. She was sent to jail.

It was the second time this month that a repeat offender showed up at court drunk.

Paula Davis, 38, signed a plea deal for electronic monitoring, and then left court for the routine breath test, which she failed with a reading of 0.166. A driver registering 0.08 is legally drunk.

Ms. Davis later admitted she was frustrated at the long wait and had "a few vodkas" during the lunch break.

Common Pleas Judge Kevin G. Sasinoski ordered her to jail. She is scheduled to return for DUI court on Dec. 6.

Meanwhile, a Swissvale man who was jailed Nov. 8 after showing up drunk for his DUI hearing, learned yesterday he must spend a third week in jail before entering the county's recovery program.

Donald James Timmis told Judge Sasinoski:"I do have this addiction with alcohol. I'm willing to go to the treatment program and try to correct some of those problems and get on with my life." He said he wanted to do what he could to be present for his 15-year-old son.

The 47-year-old apologized for his misstep two weeks earlier and agreed to a slightly steeper sentence than he would have received then.

The judge gave him 23 months on electronic monitoring, with work release if he can arrange with his employer, the Braddock Hills department of public works, to be re-assigned to a non-driving job. He will then serve 37 months' probation. He agreed to attend treatment and monthly DUI hearings, do 50 hours of community service, pay $3,000 in court costs and refrain from drinking alcohol.

Mr. Timmis' May arrest was his third in less than 10 years for driving under the influence.

Because of the holiday weekend, program officials said, he will not be released from the Allegheny County Jail until Tuesday.

He was one of 48 participants in the DUI court program who appeared before the judge yesterday.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06326/740370-85.stm

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stupid Act #361: Being Drunk in Court

This is actually a more common thing than what some realize. I had court 2 weeks ago where this happened. The defendat was on his 3rd DUI in 6 years and #7 lifetime. He was honest when he told the judge that if he was given a test right then and there he would be on the high side (.170 or above). The judge asked him what his problem was and he said "I just like my beer, your honor"

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Some folk's bottom is a little deeper than others.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Still not as funny as the guy I had a few months back who carried a baggie full of crack rocks into court for a hearing and then tried to claim that "these aren't even my pants" when they were found on him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Still not as funny as the guy I had a few months back who carried a baggie full of crack rocks into court for a hearing and then tried to claim that "these aren't even my pants" when they were found on him.
    Nice.

As my Criminal Justice professor likes to say, criminals are stupid. If they were smart, they wouldn't be there in the first place.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

That reminds me of the old Cheech & Chong "Tripping In Court" bit they used to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Heres a good clip about drinking and driving from Reno 911.

A stupid question.... Is it against the law to appear in court drunk?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    A stupid question.... Is it against the law to appear in court drunk?

Public intoxication.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

University of Cincinnati

Its only public intoxication if your making a scene isn't it?
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post

I suppose it would depend on the specific state. I got nailed once for just lying in the grass passed out - or knocked out, I'm not sure which.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post
    Usually, or if you're a "threat" to yourself or others. It varies. Public intox. is a local or city ordinance.

I would think contempt of court would be the most appropriate charge.

I've seen this alot, but never seen anyone get charged with anything extra. Being high, however, is another matter altogether.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I once saw a drunk guy in the middle of a hearing (for spousal abuse) get up and scream, "You can't judge me! YOU ... CAN'T ... JUDGE ... ME!" as he teetered back and forth.

The judge responded, "Yes I can. I'm a judge."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I once saw a drunk guy in the middle of a hearing (for spousal abuse) get up and scream, "You can't judge me! YOU ... CAN'T ... JUDGE ... ME!" as he teetered back and forth.

The judge responded, "Yes I can. I'm a judge."

I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?