Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Common birds in decline

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Common birds in decline

Greater Scaup and other tundra-breeding birds are succumbing to dramatic changes to their breeding habitat as the permafrost melts earlier and more temperate predators move north in a likely response to global warming. Boreal forest birds like the Boreal Chickadee face deforestation from increased insect outbreaks and fire, as well as excessive logging, drilling, and mining.
    Color me surprised.... not..... and yet I'm a tree hugger for caring... so I have heard.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

We only need two birds -- chickens and turkeys.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

All I know is Orioles and Blue Jays are all over my golf course. Makes sense, we're in Western MA. Freakin AL East country...

But seriously, those two types of birds are everywhere. The Blue Jays like to stay between holes 6, 7, 14 and 15, and the Orioles like to stay between holes 1, 2, 9, 17, 18.

Looking at that list, it looks like a lot of Canadian birds are getting hit. However, in my area, a number of birds have made an incredible comeback. Talking to my aunt, a naturalist for the Cleveland Metroparks, a lot of the birds that have come back had been hit hard by overuse of DDT, but are now starting to thrive again.

I have a nice pond and wooded thicket behind my house, so I have a lot of bird visitors. Cardinals, Blue Jays, Robins, Doves, and Turkey Vultures are quite common, of course. But I've seen a lot of birds that, when I was a kid in the '70s were pretty rare. Red-winged Blackbirds have become quite common, as well as various hawks and owls that I never saw much of as a kid, and I've even seen the peregrin falcons that nest in the Akron skyscrapers. When we moved in, we even had bluebirds nesting in one of our nesting boxes, which surprised me because I had been told as a kid that they were almost extinct. As the years have gone by, larger birds have widened the holes and taken them over, so I should probably try to put up some new boxes. My neighborhood has a lot of ponds and farmland in the vicinity, so we get a lot of Canadian Geese and ducks, mostly Mallards. We see a lot of Great Blue Herons too, as the herons have a nesting preserve in the Cuyahoga Valley where you can see dozens of nests up in the tall trees near the river. Some Bald Eagles have taken up nesting there too, which is pretty cool, but they had babies recently, so the viewing area at the side of the road has been closed to avoid too many people disturbing them.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

One thing's for sure. Geese are not in short supply around here. The darn things are everywhere.

I have seen some more information on this. The ducks on the list are at risk because the more common ducks are exploding in numbers. They are mating with the ducks on this list and because of the sheer numbers these varieties are disappearing.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Some species do fantastic in civlization's wake. I live one block from Golden Gate Park and have seen foxes, possums, racoons, skunks, red-tail hawks and even coyotes!

Also there's an explosion of big, black ravens. Anyone else notice this?

I haven't seen a red-winged black bird since I was a kid.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    they're everywhere around my apartment and in the park i go to in Symmes and Deerfield.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    One thing's for sure. Geese are not in short supply around here. The darn things are everywhere.
    The Geese shall inherit the Earth.

Interesting. When Yachtzee mentioned seeing a lot, I thought to myself that it was funny, as it has been ages since I have seen them, as well.

When I was a little kid, I remember it almost being an event when literally hundreds of birds would flock together and begin their fly south.
    Perhaps I am not looking at the right times, but I have not seen this in ages.

I read a summary of the Audobon reports on CNN. It made me realize that I have not heard a bobwhite or a whip-poor-will in 20 years. Sad, as I used to go to sleep to there calls every night as a kid.
    Any Louisvillians still hear them?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Mrs. Gonelong and I noticed a handful of them up at Indian Lake (Ohio) a few weeks back.

GL

I see them all over the place and all over the freeway dividers in Ohio.

Also there's an explosion of big, black ravens. Anyone else notice this?
    Crows those are, I believe at least in the city, Big Ravens tend to be more in the wild.
    Last edited by westofyou; 06-22-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Turn Off Ads?