Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day with my dad

Opening Day with my dad

I want to honor a great Reds fan with this, my father, who died February 13, 2010.

Opening Day is special in my life because of my dad's love for the Reds. He started following the Reds religiously around 1970. I cannot say for certain because I was only five and my first memories of the Reds are the 1972 NLCS Game 5 call "here comes Foster, the Reds win the pennant," Johnny Bench being tricked into a strikeout on a fake intentional walk, and Joe Rudi making that catch against the wall.

The next year, I started Little League and dad started a tradition in our house. My sister and I could come home from school at lunch and take the rest of the day off for Opening Day. So, I got to see Hank Aaron hit #714 in 1974, the extra inning Dodgers game in 1975, and many more. Of course, that was even a bigger deal since it was the Big Red Machine, which I comprehended.

That "tradition" only lasted a few years. As I went through the Jr. High years, I would still come home for Opening Day if I could, but it didn't always work out. Then in high school, we dropped the tradition altogether. But, emblazoned on my memory is going to the drug store to pick up some baseball cards on a cold April day, then going home and watching Opening Day on channel 4.

But then, when I was in college, I got opening day tickets two years in a row. The first year, my cousin and I went on the same day his stinkin' Michigan Wolverines beat Seton Hall for the NCAA basketball championship. But the next year, I decided I wanted my dad and I to share at least one opening day, so I got tickets again, sat in the Red seats on the first base side, and saw the debut of a rookie named Chris Sabo against the Cardinals, , while the great Davey Concepcion played second base.

Dad died never getting to see Great American Ballpark. He wanted to go, but his health was never good enough for him to make it. But he loved the Reds. One of the harder things to do in his last days, when it was clear that he was going to die anytime, was to avoid talking about the Reds upcoming season that I knew we would not share for the first time.

And here it is, the first Opening Day without the man who introduced me to the wonder of this game through the Cincinnati Reds. I am missing him very much today.

Thanks for reading and taking part in a little bit of my therapy
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Opening Day with my dad

Nicely done TR. Sorry to hear of your loss, your father would be very proud to read this.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Sorry about the loss. Hang in there. Celebrate OD with other family, it may help.

Great post, traderumor. My Dad passed away several years ago. I can remember watching Opening Day with him on so many spring afternoons and had the chance to go to a couple with him in the late 70's and early 80's. I can still hear the radio in the evenings coming out of his shop where he tinkered nearly every spring and summer evening, always tuned to the Reds and Marty and Joe. Always tough to lose your father but remember this: "Don't be sad that it's over. Be glad that it happened."

Great post, TR. Sorry to hear about your dad.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Great post, traderumor. My Dad passed away several years ago. I can remember watching Opening Day with him on so many spring afternoons and had the chance to go to a couple with him in the late 70's and early 80's. I can still hear the radio in the evenings coming out of his shop where he tinkered nearly every spring and summer evening, always tuned to the Reds and Marty and Joe. Always tough to lose your father but remember this: "Don't be sad that it's over. Be glad that it happened."
    Randy, great last line. Thanks to all who have commented. I had the great privilege and blessing of a dad who was involved in my life, we shared many interests, coached my baseball and basketball teams, we never, and I seriously mean never, fought, and died married to my mom for 50 years. I know that I have received in that part of my life much more than I ever deserved.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Well said Traderumor. I'm fortunate enough to still have my Father around, and like you, he raised me on Reds baseball. I am dreading the day I can't call him after every win.

Hang in there buddy. Best wishes.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Traderumor, so sorry to hear about your dad. The last time the Reds played the Cards on Opening Day, we went with my family and my wife's family came in from out of town. My buddy and his father went with us too and we got a nice photo of him and his dad sitting at the game. Later that summer, his dad died suddenly and he's always cherished that picture we gave him of the two of them at the game.

Enjoy the game on Monday and think of your dad. Those will always be great memories. Peace.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Beautiful post. I shared a similar bond with my grandpa. My thoughts are with you.

Always remember and be thankful for those quality moments spent with your Father TR.

I lost my father 12 years ago to the day today. He'll always be there, TR.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

All the best TR
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I want to honor a great Reds fan with this, my father, who died February 13, 2010.

Opening Day is special in my life because of my dad's love for the Reds. He started following the Reds religiously around 1970. I cannot say for certain because I was only five and my first memories of the Reds are the 1972 NLCS Game 5 call "here comes Foster, the Reds win the pennant," Johnny Bench being tricked into a strikeout on a fake intentional walk, and Joe Rudi making that catch against the wall.

The next year, I started Little League and dad started a tradition in our house. My sister and I could come home from school at lunch and take the rest of the day off for Opening Day. So, I got to see Hank Aaron hit #714 in 1974, the extra inning Dodgers game in 1975, and many more. Of course, that was even a bigger deal since it was the Big Red Machine, which I comprehended.

That "tradition" only lasted a few years. As I went through the Jr. High years, I would still come home for Opening Day if I could, but it didn't always work out. Then in high school, we dropped the tradition altogether. But, emblazoned on my memory is going to the drug store to pick up some baseball cards on a cold April day, then going home and watching Opening Day on channel 4.

But then, when I was in college, I got opening day tickets two years in a row. The first year, my cousin and I went on the same day his stinkin' Michigan Wolverines beat Seton Hall for the NCAA basketball championship. But the next year, I decided I wanted my dad and I to share at least one opening day, so I got tickets again, sat in the Red seats on the first base side, and saw the debut of a rookie named Chris Sabo against the Cardinals, , while the great Davey Concepcion played second base.

Dad died never getting to see Great American Ballpark. He wanted to go, but his health was never good enough for him to make it. But he loved the Reds. One of the harder things to do in his last days, when it was clear that he was going to die anytime, was to avoid talking about the Reds upcoming season that I knew we would not share for the first time.

And here it is, the first Opening Day without the man who introduced me to the wonder of this game through the Cincinnati Reds. I am missing him very much today.

Thanks for reading and taking part in a little bit of my therapy
    Similar experience to mine. We were so far away, but saw so many games and we never did make it to Opening Day. My only Opening Day came in 1971. Dad couldn't go because the big wigs from the railroad were coming in that day. I had a big test on that day in a class, but my teacher, also a Reds fan, let me make it up. It was cold and we were up in nosebleed seats at Riverfront. Nothing like it and I would do it again, but work gets in the way. Maybe some day, but without Dad. Again. I feel your pain and have for 29 years. But I wouldn't give anything for the times we had together!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I had the great privilege and blessing of a dad who was involved in my life, we shared many interests, coached my baseball and basketball teams, we never, and I seriously mean never, fought, and died married to my mom for 50 years. I know that I have received in that part of my life much more than I ever deserved.
    He sounds like he was a great man. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Beautiful post. I shared a similar bond with my grandpa. My thoughts are with you.
    Same here and that bond lives on thru Reds baseball. And I always remember Nuxies closing line at times like this, these great Reds fans have rounded 3rd and are now safely at home listening to that great Reds broadcast in the sky done by Joe. And we will have a talk when I get there about the current Reds and how Tommy Lasorda still won't shut up and again get to listen together. Keep your head up TR!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?