Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How you know your brain's been warped by baseball (in a good way).

How you know your brain's been warped by baseball (in a good way).

Tip of the cap to the "Stream of Consciousness" thread for prompting this idea. I was thinking about all the factoids, trivia, and minutiae rattling around in my head, all because I'm a hopeless baseball junkie.

Here's an example of this wonderful affliction:

When you hear the name Mike Tyson, is anyone else just as likely to think of the utility infielder for the Cubs and Cards of the '70s and '80s, as you are to think of that guy who won a few boxing matches?

Feel free to contribute your own.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?
    How do you know you have a baseball problem?

Start with this, every book in this room except two on the History of the NFL and the ABA is a baseball book
    Last edited by westofyou; 05-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Re: How you know your brain's been warped by baseball (in a good way).

My brain kind of works in a weird way in that if I have to remember numbers I use baseball to help remember. For example if I need for some reason to remember the number 41 I will associate it with Tom Seaver and wont forget it. My daughter was born on May 14 and my son June 27. So if I happen to have trouble remembering the days they were born I will think of Peter Rose for my daughter and the 27' Yankees for my son

My 5 year old son has just about memorized the starting lineup of the BRM. He has a hell of a time saying Concepcion though.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I know I'll screw up the phrasing of it, but there was a stand up comic who was a baseball junkie too and he had some line about when you're having sex, men try to increase their staying power by thinking about baseball, his problem was that thinking about baseball got him aroused and made him not want to think about sex but rather go and watch a game. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    How do you know you have a baseball problem?

Start with this, every book in this room except two on the History of the NFL and the ABA is a baseball book
    Nirvana.

I know that Nolan Ryan's real first name is Lynn, the Griffeys' real first name is George and so is Tom Seaver's, and Connie Mack's real name was Cornelius McGillicuddy.

I remember that Rickey Henderson's birthday falls on Christmas and that I share a birthday with Lastings Milledge.

I remember that Bob Watson just beat out Davey Concepcion to score the one millionth run in MLB history. And that Davey's middle name is Ismael.
    Last edited by RichRed; 05-24-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know I'll screw up the phrasing of it, but there was a stand up comic who was a baseball junkie too and he had some line about when you're having sex, men try to increase their staying power by thinking about baseball, his problem was that thinking about baseball got him aroused and made him not want to think about sex but rather go and watch a game. :O)
    How do I recount this tale in a family forum...

A friend is very much a baseball fan. His wife told us about the time, having finished, that she rolled over on to his pillow and heard the radio playing the ballgame.

Did I put that delicately enough?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    My brain kind of works in a weird way in that if I have to remember numbers I use baseball to help remember. For example if I need for some reason to remember the number 41 I will associate it with Tom Seaver and wont forget it. My daughter was born on May 14 and my son June 27. So if I happen to have trouble remembering the days they were born I will think of Peter Rose for my daughter and the 27' Yankees for my son

My 5 year old son has just about memorized the starting lineup of the BRM. He has a hell of a time saying Concepcion though.
    When my son was little, he knew famous Reds players and their numbers. #18 was "Ted Agooski."

Pretty much, everyone who knows me and knows my family is aware that I'm a huge fan, as are all of my kids and my wife. It galls my wife to no end though when folks ask her if she became a baseball fan when she married me. She takes umbrage and tells them she grew up a baseball fan, with her Dad listening to the Cardinals games during dinner if the game was on.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Nirvana.

I know that Nolan Ryan's real first name is Lynn, the Griffeys' real first name is George and so is Tom Seaver's, and Connie Mack's real name was Cornelius McGillicuddy.

I remember that Rickey Henderson's birthday falls on Christmas and that I share a birthday with Lastings Milledge.

I remember that Bob Watson just beat out Davey Concepcion to score the one millionth run in MLB history run. And that Davey's middle name is Ismael.
    And for scoring that run Bob got one million Tootsie Rolls, which donated to the Girl Scouts

I remember that Bob Watson just beat out Davey Concepcion to score the one millionth run in MLB history.
    Were you at Riverfront that day? I sure was. I remember hearing later that Bob Watson scored it ahead of Milt May's home run. Davey said that he knew that sort of thing might happen so he raced around the bases after his ball cleared the fence but it still wasn't enough. Might that have been bat day? I'm not sure about that

Nirvana.

I remember that Bob Watson just beat out Davey Concepcion to score the one millionth run in MLB history. And that Davey's middle name is Ismael.
    Concepcion also has Benitez in his name. I guess he has two middle names. Also both of his sons first names are David.

Other than the Milledge thing I knew all of the above but don't ask me directions on getting anywhere because I am completely clueless. Brians are a funny thing.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Concepcion also has Benitez in his name. I guess he has two middle names. Also both of his sons first names are David.

Other than the Milledge thing I knew all of the above but don't ask me directions on getting anywhere because I am completely clueless. Brians are a funny thing.
    In many Hispanic cultures, it's not uncommon for someone to have both their mother & father's last name as their formal name. Sometimes, it carries back several generations too. Not sure what the general rule of thumb is. So likely, Davey's mother's maiden name was Benitez (although it might be the other way around).

I always know one ballplayer was born on the exact same day as me, but I always have to look it up (Bob Sykes). I do know we both share our birthdate with Jermaine Jackson too.

When Dennis Eckersley retired on my 44th birthday, I knew as soon as I heard the news that he was the last ML player still older than me.

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Were you at Riverfront that day? I sure was. I remember hearing later that Bob Watson scored it ahead of Milt May's home run. Davey said that he knew that sort of thing might happen so he raced around the bases after his ball cleared the fence but it still wasn't enough. Might that have been bat day? I'm not sure about that
    No, I was only 6 at the time, plus having grown up in Virginia, I didn't actually make it to a game in Cincy until I was in my 20s. I've been back a few times since then. It's just one of those things I read about that always stuck in the ol' brain pan.
    -Air Supply

I know that Pete Rose got his first MLB hit the day I was born, April 13,1963 and Rose's birthday is one day after mine, April 14th.
    I could/can always remember Tony Perez's birthday was May 14th. I have no idea why I could always remember that one.
    I just read recently in the book about Old Hoss Radbourne, that a pitcher named Sweeney was born exactly one hundred years(April 13,1863) before me to the day.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I know that Pete Rose got his first MLB hit the day I was born, April 13,1963 and Rose's birthday is one day after mine, April 14th.
    I could/can always remember Tony Perez's birthday was May 14th. I have no idea why I could always remember that one.
    I just read recently in the book about Old Hoss Radbourne, that a pitcher named Sweeney was born exactly one hundred years(April 13,1863) before me to the day.
    Well I know that Old Hoss was also perhaps the first player who used performance enhancing items, as he admitted using Bull Testosterone in an elixer he drank

Turn Off Ads?