Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio ranks 5th in overall state football rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Good read, Chip - thanks.

Seems about right - though I think PA is a little high.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Personally, I don't see why Georgia slots in at #6. That seems too high to me.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm a total sociologist nerd, but the correlation between their football ranking and the population of the state is .91. That means that 91% of the football rating can be attributed simply to how many people live in that state. If you account for weather and income, I bet you can get it to about 9%% or higher.

The biggest outlier on the high side is Nebraksa, one of the poorer states with decent, but not great weather. The #2 & #3 outliers on the high side are Mississippi and Alabama, two very poor states with weather condusive to football. The biggest outlier on the low side is Massachusetts, a rich state with crappy weather. #2 on the low side outlier is NY, again rich with bad weather.

I could make a similar list based only on those three variables (population, weather, income) in about 2-3 hours and get a list that would be 95% as good as ESPN's... kinda highlights how all the "value" of scouting is in the finer points of analysis.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-29-2006 at 05:13 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Wausau East High School in Wausau Wisconsin has produced two NFL Hall of Famers, Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch and Jim Otto (Oakland center). They were both coached by a guy named Win Brockmeyer who as you all know was played by Lloyd Nolan in the movie "Crazylegs".

My question is does anyone know of another High school who has two guys in the HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Personally, I don't see why Georgia slots in at #6. That seems too high to me.
    Georgia high school football, especially in the outer rural areas, is chockful of talent. You have Georgia, Tech, South Carolina, & Florida all recruiting that state. Plus, Auburn's just down the street from Atlanta on I-85 and Tommy Tuberville's auto GPS and sleeps when he recruits up there.

I think Georgia at #6 is about right.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Wausau East High School in Wausau Wisconsin has produced two NFL Hall of Famers, Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch and Jim Otto (Oakland center). They were both coached by a guy named Win Brockmeyer who as you all know was played by Lloyd Nolan in the movie "Crazylegs".

My question is does anyone know of another High school who has two guys in the HOF?
    Not that I can tell, but Northeast Ohio has a couple cities that have come close to producing two Hall of Famers from the same school. Likewise, a few hall of famers came from rival schools. Dante Lavelli went to Hudson, archrival to neighboring Stow, which produced Larry Csonka. Marion Motley, who went to Canton McKinley, played for Paul Brown, an alumnus of McKinley's famous archrival Massillon Washington. Stark County alone has five Hall of Famers, and a sixth, Jim Thorpe, played professional football there for the Canton Bulldogs. The northeastern portion of Ohio, by itself, is pretty saturated with hall of famers.

Hall of Famers who played for High Schools in Northeast Ohio:

Stark County

Paul Brown - Massillon (OH)
    Len Dawson - Alliance (OH)
    Dan Dierdorf - Glenwood (Canton, OH)
    Marion Motley - McKinley (Canton, OH)
    Alan Page - Central Catholic (Canton, OH)

Summit County

Cliff Battles – Kenmore (Akron, OH)
    Dante Lavelli - Hudson (OH)
    Larry Csonka - Stow (OH)

Cuyahoga County

Benny Friedman - East Tech (Cleveland, OH); Glenville (Cleveland, OH)
    Tom Mack - Cleveland Heights (OH)
    Mike Michalske - West Tech (Cleveland, OH)
    Chuck Noll - Benedictine (Cleveland, OH)

Others:

Don Shula - Harvey (Painesville, OH) – Lake County
    Paul Warfield - Warren G. Harding (Warren, OH) – Trumbull County
    Wilbur (Pete) Henry - Mansfield (OH) – Richland County
    Clarke Hinkle - Toronto (OH) – Jefferson County
    Jack Lambert - Mantua (OH) – Portage County

Probably More Southeast than Northeast

Lou Groza - Martins Ferry (OH) – Belmont County
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I think ESPN should have went a bit further than just looking at D1 college football. Sure a lot of the Buckeye's are Ohio-born players and the same at the Florida and Texas schools. But those schools also recruit heavily around the nation. If they were to consider the smaller, D-1AA, DII and DIII college football teams, Ohio would definitely be ranked higher. These teams are comprised mainly of homestate kids. I don't think any state could match up with Mount Union, Capital, Walsh, YSU and the rest of the smaller division football teams in Ohio. I have always thought that the real strength of Ohio football was the depth at the small school level in both college and high school. Big school football is pretty even across the nation, and our big schools can hang with anyone. But I feel that Ohio's small college and high school football is the best that there is.
    I also am a student at a small college (Mount Union) with a relatively good football team, so I might be a bit biased

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    I also am a student at a small college (Mount Union) with a relatively good football team, so I might be a bit biased
    Relatively? I think you are selling your school a little short.

But I absolutely agree with you on both the college and high school levels. Small high schools like the MAC schools and Cardinal Mooney play at a very high level every year despite their size.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

yea, i think we have won a few games over the years

yea, i think we have won a few games over the years
    MasonBuzz, my in-laws live in Alliance. They live off of Glamorgan. I was just there this past weekend. For the life of me, I can't figure out how students enjoy going to school there. There doesn't seem to be anything there for students.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I was happy with the NJ ranking for HS football, though I think it could be better. NJ is extremely underrated in regards to HS football.

Especially since my alma mater whooped on Centerville this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    MasonBuzz, my in-laws live in Alliance. They live off of Glamorgan. I was just there this past weekend. For the life of me, I can't figure out how students enjoy going to school there. There doesn't seem to be anything there for students.
    true, alliance is pretty boring. most students here, either come to mount to play a sport or are from a nearby city. it's a good school though and kent and akron arent too far away for the party scene

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Especially since my alma mater whooped on Centerville this season.
    Hey....take it easy there.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

true, alliance is pretty boring. most students here, either come to mount to play a sport or are from a nearby city. it's a good school though and kent and akron arent too far away for the party scene
    Good points. I went to Kent. I drove to Alliance many a times from there. It's not that far of a drive, except when you hit that damn train stop! Seriously, I've never seen longer trains in my life.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?