Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11/09/2010 Kevin Goldstein Chat

11/09/2010 Kevin Goldstein Chat

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...php?chatId=789
    Karen (LA): what do you thinke Mesoraco's defense behind plate?

Kevin Goldstein: He's fine back there, maybe even a tick above average. Scouts generally believe in the breakout.
    Johnny (NYC): Juan Francisco is tearing up the AFL so far. I'm genuinely torn on this guy, he's got amazing power but horrific plate discipline. Is he Wily Mo Pena v2.0?

Kevin Goldstein: Actually, he's tearing up the Dominican League with the Gigantes del Cibao. If he doesn't change his swing at everything approach, I don't think he'll ever be more than a up and down guy.
    Joe (Brooklyn): Chances Aroldis Chapman makes it as a starter? Can he stay healthy? His delivery is so fluid and easy-looking.

Kevin Goldstein: I hope he goes back to that role certainly.
    Mario66 (Milwaukee): Did Alonso's second half lend credence to the thought that his previous lack of power was attributable to the hamate bone injury? If so, does he rank with the just below Hosmer crowd of 1B that includes F. Freeman, Morrison and Belt?

Kevin Goldstein: You mean the second half that included six home runs in 173 at-bats and three in his last 28 games? That one?
    Bobby (Cincinnati): How should we view Todd Frazier after the year he had? He's playing a position with low value, even though he can handle the infield (well, not SS really anymore). He sucked at the beginning of the year, but then caught fire and hit over .320 for awhile. Is he still a top prospect, or doomed to be a utilityman?

Kevin Goldstein: Probably more B. than A. unfortunately.
    MEDAFAP (CA): Jay Bruce is going to be as good in 2011 as everyone projected he would be three years ago, isn't he?

Kevin Goldstein: Like the chances. What's with all the Reds questions?
    Johnny (NYC): So the Reds should sell on Juan Francisco NOW, is what you're saying? Could not agree more (if that is indeed what you are saying)

Kevin Goldstein: Sell him for what? My thoughts on him aren't exactly unique.
    Reds Fan (Got no problem with the questions!): Billy Hamilton is the SS of the future in Cincinnati: True or False?

Kevin Goldstein: I have no problem with the Reds questions either. I think it's cool and I love the renaissance of baseball we saw in both Cincinnati and Dallas this year, I just wish Tampa had the same. Answer to your question is no, he's the 2B of the future.
    Walter Young (Baltimore): My ass (and everything else) was bigger than Panda's during my playing days.

Kevin Goldstein: Dmitri Young says hi.
    Juan (Arlington): Dude...love the podcast! Does Neftali Feliz ever even get the CHANCE to start again? Or do they love him so much in the closer role that he's stuck there? Also, is that the route the Reds might take w/Chapman?

Kevin Goldstein: I get this one a lot, and the answer is the same. I, personally, would like to see him start. The Rangers, as I understand it, do not necessarily agree with my personal assessment. I think Chapman has a better chance at getting an OPPORTUNITY to start again, at least.
    Joe (Cincinnati): Call me a homer, but how can CarGo win the players' choice award over Votto? Have these guys not heard of home/road splits?

Kevin Goldstein: Why does it matter? I don't care about awards as they change absolutely nothing about a player.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 11/09/2010 Kevin Goldstein Chat

Tons of Reds stuff today. I posted the Mesoraco piece in his thread, but it was Reds day at BP or something lol.

The most interesting Reds-related thing is probably that Goldstein seems so confident that Hamilton will stick to second base over shortstop. I think a lot of people are going to wonder about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The most interesting Reds-related thing is probably that Goldstein seems so confident that Hamilton will stick to second base over shortstop. I think a lot of people are going to wonder about that one.
    This is the exact same thing I was thinking. I wonder why that is. He certainly has the ability.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I wonder if its just something that he has heard from someone within the Reds organization instead of what scouts are saying he could do.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wonder if its just something that he has heard from someone within the Reds organization instead of what scouts are saying he could do.
    Or he is just being lazy and saw he played 2B at Billings this season to accommodate Lohman at SS, who I fully expect to be overwhelmed at the plate in Low A. Hamilton will be back at SS before he hits High A. Too much talent to waste at a non premium D position.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Or he is just being lazy and saw he played 2B at Billings this season to accommodate Lohman at SS, who I fully expect to be overwhelmed at the plate in Low A. Hamilton will be back at SS before he hits High A. Too much talent to waste at a non premium D position.
    Or, he isn't. We don't know, but its a pretty big leap that you are making there as to why he said what he said.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or, he isn't. We don't know, but its a pretty big leap that you are making there as to why he said what he said.
    Maybe. But you have to admit, at SS he'd be Furcal (pre juice) in value, at 2B he'd be Castillo. Which one has more value?

I think 2B makes sense. With Cozart coming the Reds will probably have a young cheap SS for several years. Phillips has another year or two and then he's priced himself out of Cincy. The late trend has been for 2B to be an offensive spot with dubious defenders like Kent, Uggla and the like. Those are passable if they can hit like Kent and Uggla, personally I prefer athletic defenders who add offense. Phillips is a great example and Hamilton has the potential to carry on the position in a similar mold. 2B is an up the middle spot and defense matters a lot. I'm glad the Reds seem to be trying to develop a player there instead of using it as a fallback for a defensive misfit who can hit a little.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't know that he's being lazy, and I have no clue where Hamilton's future lies, 2b or SS, but I think far too many people here assume Hamilton is a SS, no question while he spent much of his time this year @2b. Perhaps there are legit reasons, some of them posted here, but it has to at least raise the question if the reds think he can play SS fulltime if he's not doing it in Billings. Its not as if he doesn't experience to gain at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I don't know that he's being lazy, and I have no clue where Hamilton's future lies, 2b or SS, but I think far too many people here assume Hamilton is a SS, no question while he spent much of his time this year @2b. Perhaps there are legit reasons, some of them posted here, but it has to at least raise the question if the reds think he can play SS fulltime if he's not doing it in Billings. Its not as if he doesn't experience to gain at the position.
    I think most people are frustrated because they see Lohman (due to age) who has less range and athletic ability than Hamilton does.

Didn't the Reds insist Hamilton could play SS, and he was only moving to 2B to accomodate Lohman?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Didn't the Reds insist Hamilton could play SS, and he was only moving to 2B to accomodate Lohman?
    If they did, I never saw it.

You missed this one:

John (New York): What's Travis Wood's ceiling, and what are the chances he reaches it?

Kevin Goldstein: He's at his ceiling, as a solid back-end starter. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    You missed this one:
    Ah yes, my favorite thing from the chat. My question is, if a sub 4.00 ERA is a back of the rotation starter.... then who has a good rotation?

Turn Off Ads?