Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LF - at what point do you do something?

Re: LF - at what point do you do something?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I would love to see them work something out in left field, but what happens when Ludwick comes back?

I'm not overly confident that we will see him at all this season, but what if the unlikely happens? I'm sure the brass is thinking the same thing.

My guess is that they stay the course, and if the guys that they counted on to start the season kick it into gear, they should be fine.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be pleased as punch if they made a move that would upgrade the lineup. It's just that I can understand the logic behind not doing so.

I can understand it to a point but if this is a team in "win now" mode how much of the season do you watch go down the drain before you make a move?

Tough call and why they pay Walt the big bucks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    I can understand it to a point but if this is a team in "win now" mode how much of the season do you watch go down the drain before you make a move?

Tough call and why they pay Walt the big bucks.
    There really is no good answer to that question, is there?

At least, I know I'm not smart enough to figure it out. One thing is for sure, I'm glad they've got some folks at the helm that seem to have things figured out. If something can be done, Walt can do it, and Castellini will sign off on it.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    A Stynes, Nunnally outburst would be awesome right about now.
    Well, the Reds did just trade for ex-Royal Mark Teahen.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Yeah, Mesoraco hasn't taken advantage of the PT.
    His 364 OBP says "hi"

two weeks ago.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Geesh. How far has he fallen?

I remember the early part of century, when he was considered a hot prospect, much like Jeremy Hermida. I always wished they were Reds.

Now they've had or will have control of both of those guys.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Assuming the position continues to be a hole in the lineup, forcing poor hitters into the 2nd spot of the lineup, when do you make a big move? A trade or something?

I don't know if the market is going to develop fast enough for the Reds to trade for an OF. If it continues say until June, you have to seriously look into bringing up Hamilton and playing Choo in LF.
    Billy Hamilton is presently hitting .205 in Louisville. He has a line of 278/307/.585. Maybe if the Reds decide to bring him up soon, he'll be able to make Cozart look pretty decent by comparison.
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 05-02-2013 at 06:47 PM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    His 364 OBP says "hi"
    Yeah, but so does the 0.675 OPS.

I've always liked his plate approach/discipline. But if he's gonna morph into that "middle-of-the-order-bat" that we've read about, now would be a good time to start.

In the meantime, he's more Hanigan than Hanigan.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Yeah, but so does the 0.675 OPS.

I've always liked his plate approach/discipline. But if he's gonna morph into that "middle-of-the-order-bat" that we've read about, now would be a good time to start.

In the meantime, he's more Hanigan than Hanigan.
    That's fair, but you can't also expect his power to all of the sudden appear. He still needs to learn how to drive pitches at the major league level, and he simply hasn't had enough consistent at-bats to do so.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-03-2013)

Bailey does not seem to like pitching to Devin. People talked about his body language when he was being caught by him....and it seemed that Homer did not like what Devin was calling and handling him.

Let us hope that unlike 2011...when the FO sat on it's hands and did not make any upgrades, they decide this time....it is in their best interest to do so. In 2011.....they kept waiting and waiting for things to turnaround. Hopefully they do not have to re-gut the farm system to do it.

Peter Burgos?(spelling bad) from the Angels.....would be nice to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Bailey does not seem to like pitching to Devin. People talked about his body language when he was being caught by him....and it seemed that Homer did not like what Devin was calling and handling him.

Devin isn't calling the game. The bench is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Devin isn't calling the game. The bench is.
    I am aware of that.....he still seemed uncomfortable with Devin...as people pointed out in the Game Thread when he caught him before Corky did yesterday.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Teahen spends most of this time playing third base.

The Reds acquired him so they could package Frazier and a pitcher to obtain a LFer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Teahen spends most of this time playing third base.

The Reds acquired him so they could package Frazier and a pitcher to obtain a LFer.

I do not see why we do not try to move Frazier to LF. He isn't that good at fielding ground balls anyways. Plus I seem to remember him making some nice plays there last year in his limited time. As for 3B, I think Hannahan is pretty good defense and offensively. Or we could bring up HRod. He might be able to make some noise.

Sparky did it in the 70s when he moved Pete to 3B, why not go in reverse and move Frazier to LF? Now we just need HRod to turn into Foster
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I do not see why we do not try to move Frazier to LF. He isn't that good at fielding ground balls anyways. Plus I seem to remember him making some nice plays there last year in his limited time. As for 3B, I think Hannahan is pretty good defense and offensively. Or we could bring up HRod. He might be able to make some noise.

Sparky did it in the 70s when he moved Pete to 3B, why not go in reverse and move Frazier to LF? Now we just need HRod to turn into Foster
    Hannahan to third Frazier to left would make the hitting worse. Paul/Robinson is better than Jack plus whatever you gain defensively at third you lose in left where Todd would be worse than Robinson and probably worse than Paul(that's debatable). I really see no gain or a bit of a drop with this move. There simply isn't anyone to Todd off third who offers a better scenario. HRod has had a slow start and is questionable defensively.

Turn Off Ads?