Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds sign Todd Redmond to Major League Contract

Re: Reds sign Todd Redmond to Major League Contract

Maybe someone else can remember but I am almost sure the Reds did this same thing with someone else a couple of years ago. He went to the minors later....Justin Lehr I believe

They did it for depth at AAA
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He'd likely choose going to the minors and collecting his major league contract.

This is about the Reds assuring themselves they have depth at AAA if needed in the starting pitching ranks. Cheap insurance.
    Exactly. This move is to guarantee him major league minimum pay after he is DFA'd. If he chooses Free Agency, its likely he'd only get a minor league deal for about 20% of this one. Keeps him in the fold.

My guess is the move to DFA Redmond will come this week. If the Reds sign Broxton, the 40 man will be full. If the Reds still have Ludwick on their to do list, not to mention a possible 2013 return of Rolen, they are going to need the roster spot very soon IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-27-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Maybe someone else can remember but I am almost sure the Reds did this same thing with someone else a couple of years ago. He went to the minors later....Justin Lehr I believe

They did it for depth at AAA
    Yes, except with Lehr, they outrighted him as soon as he signed the contract. I wouldn't be shocked to see the next Red outrighted.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess I look at a good AAA team as one that has some good short term options to fill short term needs due to injury. Last year's team was completely void of that type of talent and had a horrible record. I get excited over almost there, upwardly mobile types to care one lick about what's at AAA. Todd Redmond doesn't fit that bill, so his skill of "good AAA pitcher" is worth the same as a baseball card in the bike spokes to me.
    LOL. Based on 1 ML start he is unqualified to even be a backend guy? You grade darn hard. I think he would be average graded against 5th starters. Maybe a tad better. I don't even see where he is especially park averse for GAB. Redmond wouldn't likely kill ya in the backend. Just my opinion. My only beef is I like the 2Cs better as well as Villareal(similar tho) if rotation help is needed. I see it as a mid bp RH stockpile part of which will end up dealt away.

The fact of the matter is that teams needs "replacement level" talent in the minor leagues.

If you don't keep guys like Redmond in the fold, the call ups start becoming sub replacement level types. That distinction does mean something, as when the injury bug hits, it makes sense to have as much talent in AAA as possible (look at the stuff the Jays had to call up last year after their injuries). Considering the Reds don't have a lot of high end prospects in the upper minors, our AAA depth is going to consist of non-prospect type guys, and I would characterize Redmond as being a pretty good version of that. It's a necessary type of signing, especially when one game here or there can be the difference between a playoff appearance. You dont want to lose that because you had to bring up Jeff Austin, Jimmy Anderson, or Josias Manzanillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The fact of the matter is that teams needs "replacement level" talent in the minor leagues.

If you don't keep guys like Redmond in the fold, the call ups start becoming sub replacement level types.
    Exactly. This is why I'd be after Adam Wilk from the Tigers organization too. Ideally, lurking in AAA, your organization should have a few different types of pitchers on the verge of graduation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Exactly. This is why I'd be after Adam Wilk from the Tigers organization too. Ideally, lurking in AAA, your organization should have a few different types of pitchers on the verge of graduation.
    Redmond, Corcino, Cingrani (perhaps), maybe Pedro Villarreal-- while I like Wilk as a target and understand your philosophy, I'd argue that's what Jocketty is doing already.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Redmond, Corcino, Cingrani (perhaps), maybe Pedro Villarreal-- while I like Wilk as a target and understand your philosophy, I'd argue that's what Jocketty is doing already.
    Jocketty definitely has a decent stockpile going. I'd just add one more body, mainly because Cingrani, Corcino and Villareal might need a year in AAA before they'd be ready for majors. Plus, I think you might be able to get Wilk for Logan Ondrusek.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?