Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chargers Fire Marty Schottenheimer Following 14-2 Season

Re: Chargers Fire Marty Schottenheimer Following 14-2 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Did Jim Mora already take a job somewhere after being fired in Atlanta? I would think San Diego would be an ideal job for him. An actual QB who can be a QB.
    Seattle signed him up to coach their secondary, I believe. I doubt he'd have too much of a problem getting out of that though. I like Mora and I think he'd do well in SD.

Read somwhere that some Chargers and USC insiders think Pete Carroll has the job locked up. Certainly would explain why Sarkisian (sp?) decided to turn down the Raiders job if he knew he'd be taking over USC shortly.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

How about a Chuck Bresnahan, heh Danny?

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Too bad for Marty - AJ Smith is a bona fide ass, but he's a good general manager. I think lots of people will be scared off that job because of Smith though. He's never going to play nice with others for long.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Too bad for Marty - AJ Smith is a bona fide ass, but he's a good general manager. I think lots of people will be scared off that job because of Smith though. He's never going to play nice with others for long.

If he doesn't think Marty is ever going to take them to the Super Bowl, firing him is justified - even after they went 14-2. Is it just bad luck or does he just pull a giant choke job when he gets to the playoffs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If he doesn't think Marty is ever going to take them to the Super Bowl, firing him is justified - even after they went 14-2. Is it just bad luck or does he just pull a giant choke job when he gets to the playoffs?
    Him getting fired has nothing, apparently, to do with playoffs, Super Bowl, etc. Reportedly it has everything to do with Smith and Marty not being able to get along - to the point of not talking at all.

As for Marty and playoffs - he makes questionable calls to be sure. Its a combination of those calls, conservativism and bad luck. Hell, if Byner doesn't fumble these questions never come up cause he would have been in a super bowl.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Him getting fired has nothing, apparently, to do with playoffs, Super Bowl, etc. Reportedly it has everything to do with Smith and Marty not being able to get along - to the point of not talking at all.
    Yeah, I know but it would have been a little more difficult to fire him if S.D. made it to the Super Bowl or won it.

As for Marty and playoffs - he makes questionable calls to be sure. Its a combination of those calls, conservativism and bad luck. Hell, if Byner doesn't fumble these questions never come up cause he would have been in a super bowl.

Sure. But I'm just using Marty as an example. I'm asking more in a general sense. Are there coaches - and managers - who just can't make it to the next level?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It's to bad Marty couldn't hold on to the football. It's a shame he took the fall for all those dropped passes and turnovers. I think he did a great job with the Bolts. Who ever gets that job will have a pretty good chance to get to the Super Bowl next year. Go Chargers!!!!!!!

The firing is justified...This team was flat out built to win a Super Bowl and had all the pieces in place. It will be interesting to see what AJ. does. Marty was never his coach.
    Baseball is life

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRed View Post
    The firing is justified...This team was flat out built to win a Super Bowl and had all the pieces in place. It will be interesting to see what AJ. does. Marty was never his coach.
    Now AJ's in a bad spot though IMO. Anything short of a superbowl next year and his head will be on a stick.
    School's out. What did you expect?

The job is Pete Carroll's, if he wants it.

Hey RBA!

I see you changed your location. Does that mean you're all moved into SoCal?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Hey RBA!

I see you changed your location. Does that mean you're all moved into SoCal?

Rem
    Yup, been living in a hotel in Imperial Beach (Seacoast Inn, window looks out directly to the beach and the Pacific Ocean; awesome view) for 3 weeks and 1 more week before we get our base house. The house will be located near I-8/I-15 interchange (Qualcomm Statdium), a pretty central location.

Nevermind, I was thinking of a different fumble.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 02-13-2007 at 09:37 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    You accidentally typed "super bowl", there was this one team they would have had to play first.
    No, there wasn't. He said if Byner doesn't fumble. Different game.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    No, there wasn't. He said if Byner doesn't fumble. Different game.
    Well now who looks like the jackass.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?