Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long till Janish/Valaika?

How long till Janish/Valaika?

How long till one of these two are ready, and what position do you think they will play in the MLB?

My main reason for asking this question is I am not a big fan of Gonzo, do you think the Reds will make a move to acquire a SS or just stick with Gonzo/Keppinger.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How long till Janish/Valaika?

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    How long till one of these two are ready, and what position do you think they will play in the MLB?

My main reason for asking this question is I am not a big fan of Gonzo, do you think the Reds will make a move to acquire a SS or just stick with Gonzo/Keppinger.
    why not a fan of Gonzo?

I'll be surprised if either Janish or Valaika are ever good enough to start in the major leagues.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Both are in the minor leagues, so this thread should move to Minor League Talk.

From what I can tell, they both look like they can go ahead and sign up for membership in the Fraternal Order of Utility Infielders. So I'm not really worried about when or if they get here.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Both are in the minor leagues, so this thread should move to Minor League Talk.
    You are correct. Let's move it.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post

I predict that Janish goes the Gary Green route and becomes a defensive minded minor league IF that teams stash at AAA in case of emergency. I suspect he's no threat to be a major league starter and even as a utility IF he will struggle to stay in the majors.

Valaika has quickly reached a crossroads. He looked like a plus bat for the MI but he probably won't stay at SS and its questionable whether he'll even stick at 2B. His best bet may be multi-position supersub, but his bat completely tanked at A+ and he needs to prove he can hit again. If he does he could be a nice player as a 2B or supersub.

Neither of these guys is the answer to the SS position any time soon. The best bet in the system is probably Jose Castro who was one of the guys they got for Jeff Conine. He should have the glove to stick at SS and had a BA driven ability to get on base until he was pushed to AA after the trade (maybe before he was ready). He probably starts back at AA this year and how he does on offense will tell the tale. Even if he does hit a little, he's probably a number 8 hitter type with no power and he doesn't walk much. I'm less optimistic than I was previously now that I've had time to examine him a little more closely. I think the next Red's SS is not in the system at this time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I see Jose Castro as a Walt Weiss who walks less. For the Reds' shortstop prospects, here is how I rank them:

Zach Cozart (who has yet to show anything--I like what I've seen from his videos, though)
    Paul Janish (who needs to develop a little more hitting ability)
    Yen-Wen Kuo (who may be moved to second base because his arm is a little weak)
    Jose Castro (who needs another growth spurt)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

Zach Cozart (who has yet to show anything--I like what I've seen from his videos, though)
    I lack confidence he will ever hit.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I lack confidence he will ever hit.
    I think you're in the majority. I don't think he'll ever have an All-Star caliber hitting ability, but I expect him to put up something like a .280/.330/.400 line in the big leagues. It's not very impressive, but if he can prove to be a great defensive shortstop, I think he'll be worthy of the starting lineup.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think you're in the majority. I don't think he'll ever have an All-Star caliber hitting ability, but I expect him to put up something like a .280/.330/.400 line in the big leagues. It's not very impressive, but if he can prove to be a great defensive shortstop, I think he'll be worthy of the starting lineup.
    For a shortstop, that is borderline all star. If he EVER hit that, I would be ecstatic. I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    For a shortstop, that is borderline all star. If he EVER hit that, I would be ecstatic. I just don't see it happening.
    I don't mean to sound like Falls City Beer, but I just trust what my eyes see when it comes to Zach Cozart.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't mean to sound like Falls City Beer, but I just trust what my eyes see when it comes to Zach Cozart.
    Nothing wrong with that. I didn't like the scouting reports I saw on him, but can't say I have seen him swing the bat much.

It sounds like we have a lot of question marks at SS at this time. I think the Reds should look at drafting a SS next year, as Alex Gonzalez won't be here forever.

I would hope they take a SS, usually every team takes at least 1 in the draft.

Turn Off Ads?