Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker Offered An Extension

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Dusty Baker Offered An Extension

per Fay via Twitter:

johnfayman

#Reds have offered Dusty Baker an extension, he said. He's weighing the offer.
    Last edited by RedLegSuperStar; 08-18-2010 at 07:02 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Dusty Backer Offered An Extension

Too early, IMO. I probably would have waited until if the offseason.

Resident PED Expert

It might create more comfort in the Clubhouse. For that reason I am all for it. A new manager could mean a new hitting coach, new bench coach and new 1st and 3rd base coaches. Everyone gone but Price. The disruption could do alot of damage in the clubhouse then rollover onto the field. I am for this. 6 months ago not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Too early, IMO. I probably would have waited until if the offseason.
    Why? At this point, I think he's done enough that we don't need to see anymore to make our conclusions what he is.

The Reds are in the race and clearly he gets a lot out of them. If it comes down to simply whether or not they make the playoffs, I just don't see the point in letting that determine if he gets an extension.

I am not crazy about Baker. Never have been. But to the extent managers should get credit or blame, he clearly has a very close-knit clubhouse and they respect the heck out of him. For me that counts for something even if I don't care for his philosophy.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Dusty Baker Offered An Extension

Well deserved.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

MLBTradeRumors.com

I think my position on Dusty is well known. However, I can't say that there are other managers floating around that I could comfortably say I'd prefer.

I just don't understand why managers get punished/rewarded so clearly based on the talent they are given. Dusty's not a better manager than he was in 2008, he just got dealt a much better hand. I'd like to know more about what he's done particularly well that makes him a manager worth retaining.

I fully appreciate that the ability to motivate players is an important skill and that Dusty is good at it. But when he so clearly struggles elsewhere, I'd certainly like to explore options. And as others have said, at minimum I would have liked to see how the next 6 weeks play out, particularly given his mismanagement of the Cubs' pitching staff during their last playoff push under his watch.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Honestly, I'd like to see a little stability in the manager's office, so I like this. I don't want the club to go crazy - a couple of years would be nice. But, to be honest, he has not proven to be the horrible manager many predicted.

Very much deserved as far as I'm concerned. The team loves him and they play well for him. That's what you want in a manager.

I hope he accepts.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Usually when your weighing an offer it's because you feel the offer is a little light. Can't see the Reds going much above what they paid for him last contract.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Remember the last guy who took time to weigh an offer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Remember the last guy who took time to weigh an offer?
    Was that Oester?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

In other words, manage for this year and beyond.

Makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Was that Oester?
    Yep.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Usually when your weighing an offer it's because you feel the offer is a little light. Can't see the Reds going much above what they paid for him last contract.
    Really? I didn't interpret it as that at all. It is more like one of those I want to sleep on the details kind of things. At least that's how I took it.

If you would have told me before the year that the Reds would re-up Dusty Baker during the year, I would have hated it. Right now, it is really hard to hate this move. Dusty is getting the players motivated every night and I think he is much better at the baseball tactics now (line-up, rotation, bullpen management).

Turn Off Ads?