Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Charlie Weiss alienates alumni and recruits

Re: Charlie Weiss alienates alumni and recruits

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It's just a nickname, get over it.

And the reason no one cares he is called that is because it is a silly nickname and because a majority of college football fans dislike Notre Dame...
    Its a little different the man almost died from a botched surgery to deal with his weight. Calling the man "Fat Charlie" is out of line IMO.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Supposedly confirmed that South Bend Slim is coming back for his 5th season.

IMO, I don't see him coaching for a 6th season unless he magically wins 8+ games.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It's just a nickname, get over it.

And the reason no one cares he is called that is because it is a silly nickname and because a majority of college football fans dislike Notre Dame...
    I suppose when someone called him "fat tub of lard" that was also just a silly nickname?

And the majority of college fans don't like ND, OK, probably true. But more people dislike Ohio State cause the majority of OSU fans are arrogant schmucks. I would guess you are an arrogant schmuck - but don't get upset over that, its just a nickname, and most of college football dislikes you so its ok for me to call you that. And I guess if you don't like it, well, get over it.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Supposedly confirmed that South Bend Slim is coming back for his 5th season.

IMO, I don't see him coaching for a 6th season unless he magically wins 8+ games.
    I would say 9 wins.

And it might not be a magical as you think. They have lots of talent and the growth between the sophomore year and junior year is almost always the biggest. Combine that with a soft schedule and they might get there.

But it brings us right back to the can Weis develop talent and I'm still not sold (even if he gets to 9 wins) that he can. But next year might get him another.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I would say 9 wins.

And it might not be a magical as you think. They have lots of talent and the growth between the sophomore year and junior year is almost always the biggest. Combine that with a soft schedule and they might get there.

But it brings us right back to the can Weis develop talent and I'm still not sold (even if he gets to 9 wins) that he can. But next year might get him another.

I heard that schedule this morning. 9 wins won't be a gimme with the likes of BC, Purdue, USC and a more than likely improved Michigan on the schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I heard that schedule this morning. 9 wins won't be a gimme with the likes of BC, Purdue, USC and a more than likely improved Michigan on the schedule.
    Oh, I agree - with what I've seen on the field the last three and a half weeks 9 wins seems like a HUGE pipe dream. As I stated, this team regressed like you wouldn't believe out of nowhere.

But I still think he needs 9 wins to stay and they will get very close....
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Do you want that to happen, Puffy? Is that in the best long-term interests of Notre Dame football?

Nice to see the double standard is in full effect at ND. So fat charlie gets to keep his job after running the program into the dirt? If it's about money than I somewhat understand, but it was stupid to give him such a contract in the first place. Cheers to another terrible season at ND with Ol' Tub O' at the helm.

Oh, I agree - with what I've seen on the field the last three and a half weeks 9 wins seems like a HUGE pipe dream. As I stated, this team regressed like you wouldn't believe out of nowhere.

But I still think he needs 9 wins to stay and they will get very close....

9 is just a number between 8 and 10. I don't think I have to tell you this, Puffy, but even though 9 wins is much better than 6 and could possibly put them into a BCS bowl, right now they have a long, long, long way to go to be on the level of a USC or Alabama or Florida which is where ND is supposed to be. Getting 9 wins and getting the crap kicked out of them in a BCS game is a place that they don't want to be. Personally, I think they are fooling themselves if they think Weis is the guy to turn it around. Not only have they regressed this year, as you stated earlier, but they have regressed from when he started coaching there. It can't be the talent since he's supposed to be getting top talent in there. The schedule has been fairly soft. It's not like they don't have any money to have first class facilities. So it's gotta be Weis. If they think he's the one to get them back to that elite level, they have to be more patient with him and keep him for at least 3-4 more years. Keeping him around next year and possibly the next because they don't want to pay his buyout means they are more concerned with money than winning.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Wily Mo - I'm just not sure. I supported Weis and thought he was doing a pretty good job even through last year. Now I have moved to the fence and quite honestly, I just don't know.

Chip - Weis did a fantastic job in year 1. They had no business being 9-2 before the bowl and he helped Quinn and Shark and Walker all become better players. Year two should have been better, but I still think he did OK considering his defense was wicked depleted from Ty. Year 3 anyone should have seen coming. Weis contributed by playing all upperclassmen his first two years and then when everyone left he had only inexperienced, mediocre players sprinkled with talented freshman. This year the younger kids needed to grow and they were doing that - 80% of ND scores were by freshman and sophomores. But then they stopped. So I don't know anymore.

But to address your 3-4 year point. Before Weis took over there was a lot of talk (from the Davie and Willingham camps) that ND couldn't compete recruiting wise anymore because of academic standards and the school's unwillingness to deviate from that. Weis has made that point moot. He has recruited unbelievably well, getting the kids he has targeted at an alarming rate. Now, some of those kids (like ALL recruiting classes, even at Florida and Alabama) have turned out to be "busts" but the fact that he can sell ND to anyone is an unbelievable thing. And as long as he recruits like that I can deal with him staying. Contrary to the uninformed on this board (and within ND nation) the ND football program is not dead. Willingham tried to kill it (much like he has done to Washington) but its coming around. They need more speed and more athletes, but they are getting there. If Clausen makes strides this spring then watch out, cause Floyd and Golden Tate and Deion Walker and Shaq Evans are gonna light things up. They need a running game (which they do not have right now - its whats killing them) but development is the key, and if he does that and they win, well, we will see
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Kudos to charlie for an excellent job calling the offensive plays, way to turn things around. Will you be calling the plays next year also?
    You earned it pal.

I suppose when someone called him "fat tub of lard" that was also just a silly nickname?

And the majority of college fans don't like ND, OK, probably true. But more people dislike Ohio State cause the majority of OSU fans are arrogant schmucks. I would guess you are an arrogant schmuck - but don't get upset over that, its just a nickname, and most of college football dislikes you so its ok for me to call you that. And I guess if you don't like it, well, get over it.

Nope, doesn't bother me one bit when someone paints with such a broad brush, especially if it's a pot calling the kettle black!

Watching ND is kinda like looking at an accident. You want to turn away but you just can't. I heard on Mike and Mike in the morning that the last ND WR and RB drafted in the first rounds were Tim Brown and Bettis. I think for too long coaches hid behind the academic standards as a way to explain for their poor recruiting. Now Weis has brought in top class after top class but for whatever reason everything hasn't come together.

Weis made his bed with Jimmy Claussen. Claussen has taken after his coach in his arrogant and pompous ways. From the day he signed and flashed his HS championship ring saying he wanted 4 college ones Claussen took away his grace period. I find it amusing watching him play. He walks around the field like he is in total control of the game when he is struggling mightily. He carries himself like a prototype QB but doesn't play like one.

ND has got some good skill players on this team. Both Floyd and Rudolph look to be solid college players and future first day draft picks. But the defense and oline haven't improved one lick under Weis. They key for his success into the future is to begin beating good teams. With the exception of Michigan during his first year I don't believe ND has beaten one good, ranked team. They haven't won a bowl game since Lou. They have a large, passionate, fanatical fan base that loves ND football and longs for the days of Lou. Unless Charlie starts to show signs he will restore ND to that point he won't survive another season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Watching ND is kinda like looking at an accident. You want to turn away but you just can't. I heard on Mike and Mike in the morning that the last ND WR and RB drafted in the first rounds were Tim Brown and Bettis. I think for too long coaches hid behind the academic standards as a way to explain for their poor recruiting. Now Weis has brought in top class after top class but for whatever reason everything hasn't come together.

Weis made his bed with Jimmy Claussen. Claussen has taken after his coach in his arrogant and pompous ways. From the day he signed and flashed his HS championship ring saying he wanted 4 college ones Claussen took away his grace period. I find it amusing watching him play. He walks around the field like he is in total control of the game when he is struggling mightily. He carries himself like a prototype QB but doesn't play like one.

ND has got some good skill players on this team. Both Floyd and Rudolph look to be solid college players and future first day draft picks. But the defense and oline haven't improved one lick under Weis. They key for his success into the future is to begin beating good teams. With the exception of Michigan during his first year I don't believe ND has beaten one good, ranked team. They haven't won a bowl game since Lou. They have a large, passionate, fanatical fan base that loves ND football and longs for the days of Lou. Unless Charlie starts to show signs he will restore ND to that point he won't survive another season.
    Thats a solid post - the only thing I'd disagree with is that I don't think Charlie has made his bed with Clausen because he does have another top ranked qb (Dayne Crist) who if Clausen doesn't show improvement soon Crist might get a chance. And you're right, he hasn't played up to where he should yet, but I did see significant progress this year from him (zip on the ball, finally getting to checkdowns in progressions, getting the ball out faster, etc) to think he can grow. Remember, Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy were both redshirt freshman when they began, Clausen this year was more akin to their redshirt years and while they both out-numbered him in their years he still is young. So, we'll see.

The rest I agree with 100%.
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

- - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?