Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan

Did anyone catch what Little Joe said about the Va. Tech shooting? My boss hates the Reds because he is an Astros fan. He knows that I love the Reds and he was badmouthing Joe Morgan about his comments yesterday. Could someone please tell me what he said, because I can't find it anywhere. Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    Did anyone catch what Little Joe said about the Va. Tech shooting? My boss hates the Reds because he is an Astros fan. He knows that I love the Reds and he was badmouthing Joe Morgan about his comments yesterday. Could someone please tell me what he said, because I can't find it anywhere. Thanks
    Apparently he made a comment on the Dan Patrick show, but I can't see the full transcript because it's a paid item on ESPN. He seems to have mentioned the Virginia Tech tragedy in the same breath as Don Imus' bigoted comments about Rutgers. Again, though, I can see it in its full context.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Apparently he made a comment on the Dan Patrick show, but I can't see the full transcript because it's a paid item on ESPN. He seems to have mentioned the Virginia Tech tragedy in the same breath as Don Imus' bigoted comments about Rutgers. Again, though, I can see it in its full context.
    That's what I heard, I was checking on the legitimacy of it because it did not reach my ears from the mouth of a Reds fan.

I'm an insider but can't find a link to a Joe Morgan article. Link it and I will read it...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    That's what I heard, I was checking on the legitimacy of it because it did not reach my ears from the mouth of a Reds fan.
    I listened to it on Insider. Basically, Morgan related to the Imus thing by relating the Rutgers players to the students at Va. Tech. They were minding their own business, trying to attend classes and better themselves, and here comes something totally out of their control to completely disrupt that. I'm no fan of Joe as an ESPN talking head (loved him as a Red, of course), but he showed a lot of empathy for the students and employees at Va. Tech., just voicing his concern about how they will be able to get things back to feeling normal. He said his whole day was disrupted, and he was in California, he couldn't imagine how long their lives would be screwed up.

Your boss is just a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I'm an insider but can't find a link to a Joe Morgan article. Link it and I will read it...
    The only place I saw some text was on a blog and it appears to me that it's cut and snipped. But here's the link to Patrick's show and it has a spot that says "Joe Morgan", but then requires the Insider.

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnrad...wId=danpatrick

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    I listened to it on Insider. Basically, Morgan related to the Imus thing by relating the Rutgers players to the students at Va. Tech. They were minding their own business, trying to attend classes and better themselves, and here comes something totally out of their control to completely disrupt that. I'm no fan of Joe as an ESPN talking head (loved him as a Red, of course), but he showed a lot of empathy for the students and employees at Va. Tech., just voicing his concern about how they will be able to get things back to feeling normal. He said his whole day was disrupted, and he was in California, he couldn't imagine how long their lives would be screwed up.

Your boss is just a hater.
    I heard it also. That's a pretty accurate description. I thought it was an odd analogy, but nothing to make any deal about. Hey, does your boss not realize that Joe started as an Astro?

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    I listened to it on Insider. Basically, Morgan related to the Imus thing by relating the Rutgers players to the students at Va. Tech. They were minding their own business, trying to attend classes and better themselves, and here comes something totally out of their control to completely disrupt that.
    Joe is making quite a stretch there.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I can't argue with this comment, but I tend to agree with JLB5, it doesn't seem like that big a deal. A stretch, yes, but not something to go off on Lil' Joe about.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    Hey, does your boss not realize that Joe started as an Astro?
    Beat me to it.

This boss sounds like a smarty. :

Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    Hey, does your boss not realize that Joe started as an Astro?
    Wasnt it the Colt 45's??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Not really, have you ever lived anywhere in college where an incident changes everything about your current state of college life?

I have, I lived in Santa Cruz and went to school there during the 89 earthquake. It's an event that changed the whole campus and town, it's not easy live life after events like that much alone to go to class with that change. It takes a bit more time to clear up events when you are younger, and that includes most anything that rocks your world.

Wasnt it the Colt 45's??
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not really, have you ever lived anywhere in college where an incident changes everything about your current state of college life?

I have, I lived in Santa Cruz and went to school there during the 89 earthquake. It's an event that changed the whole campus and town, it's not easy live life after events like that much alone to go to class with that change. It takes a bit more time to clear up events when you are younger, and that includes most anything that rocks your world.
    Joe was comparing the Imus incident which college basketball players were called names and got their feelings hurt to a mass murder incident in Virginia. If someone called me a bad name or a friend of mine a bad name I would be able to go on with my life without a hitch, if someone murdered me or someone on the same campus as me then that would rock my world to a severe degree.

For Joe to compare the aftermath of name calling to the aftermath of mass murder is just nutty.

Joe was comparing the Imus incident which college basketball players were called names and got their feelings hurt to a mass murder incident in Virginia. If someone called me a bad name or a friend of mine a bad name I would be able to go on with my life without a hitch, if someone murdered me or someone on the same campus as me then that would rock my world to a severe degree.

For Joe to compare the aftermath of name calling to the aftermath of mass murder is just nutty.
    If someone called you a name, would a media circus ensue? I'm not saying Joe's comparison is completely apt, but those girls had their whole worlds rocked (rightly or not). Getting back to normal after that type of disruption was his point, not that being called a name is the same as losing classmates in a firestorm.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Turn Off Ads?