Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Super Bowl in London?

The Super Bowl in London?

Goodell says it may be a possibility. I'm not crazy about this idea. If they show the game at the regular time in the States - 5:30 p.m. - that's already 11:30 p.m. in London. It's bad for the fans there and the players. If they started the game at 7:30 p.m. London time, that would be 1:30 p.m. here. That's pretty early for a Super Bowl game and it wouldn't be in prime time.

I've always thought Honolulu would be a good place for the Super Bowl every once in a while. If they are looking for sites outside the U.S., Mexico City or Toronto would be good places too and wouldn't mess up the time of the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3065254
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Super Bowl in London?

I actually think this has legs to it. It would help the game grow in Europe. I just would be a little cautious about playing a super bowl game in wimbley in the middle of winter.

I don't think you will see the NFL go to Mexico City you would have way to many security issues to contend with. Honolulu is a good idea but wouldn't they need a bigger stadium? I like Toronto bit IMO it is very similar to playing the game in Detroit which got poor reviews because of the weather.

Yes, and Arsenal vs Man U in the new Cowboy's stadium and the Stanley Cup finals in Cuba, and the Olympics on the moon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I actually think this has legs to it. It would help the game grow in Europe. I just would be a little cautious about playing a super bowl game in wimbley in the middle of winter.

I didn't think about that. Wembley's not a domed stadium, is it?

I don't think you will see the NFL go to Mexico City you would have way to many security issues to contend with. Honolulu is a good idea but wouldn't they need a bigger stadium? I like Toronto bit IMO it is very similar to playing the game in Detroit which got poor reviews because of the weather.

They play exhibitions in Mexico City. As for Honolulu, I'm not sure how much their stadium holds but if it's at least 50K I would think it would be sufficient. It's not about the size of the stadium anyway. They'd hold it in a TV studio if they could. As much as the press would complain about Toronto, they would love Hawaii.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yes, and Arsenal vs Man U in the new Cowboy's stadium and the Stanley Cup finals in Cuba, and the Olympics on the moon!!!
    Arsenal vs Man U is just a regular season game. IMO it would be similar to playing NY vs Boston in Japan. They have hosted a couple of Stanley Cup final games in Florida. They hosted the Olympics in China, isn't that close enough to the moon :

I actually like this idea although the time thing is a big issue. I guess the Super Bowl doesn't HAVE to be in prime time. If it was on Noon on the West Coast I'm not sure there would be a huge decline in ratings. I believe that would start the game at 9pm local time which is late, but not horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I actually like this idea although the time thing is a big issue. I guess the Super Bowl doesn't HAVE to be in prime time. If it was on Noon on the West Coast I'm not sure there would be a huge decline in ratings. I believe that would start the game at 9pm local time which is late, but not horrible.

I think bucksfan2 brought up a really good point about the weather. I don't think it's going to be 75 and sunny in February in London. Not to mention if the game is in the evening - which they will have to do to avoid it starting it in the morning here - it's only going to get colder. If they wanted to have a Super Bowl in inclement weather they would have done so by now. The more I think about it, the more I think this is just a shakedown of the cities bidding to host the Super Bowl that year to get their bids up.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I thought the NFL had a game in London before - "our time" - and if I am not mistaken, the game was quite well attended.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I thought the NFL had a game in London before - "our time" - and if I am not mistaken, the game was quite well attended.
    They have done it the last 2 years and they have both been sellouts. Last year New Orleans and San Diego played there.

In addition to weather issues another issue they would have would be I think there has always been a noise ordinance where events at Wembley Stadium have to be done by a certain time at night because that is located in a residential area. I can't remember the exact time but I have seen major concerts they have had there on TV and they always have to be over before midnight. So they really could not start the game too late. Probably 7:30 PM London time (2:30 PM ET) would be the latest they would start the game.

Heck why not just play the whole season in london?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Obviously, they've run out of US cities.

Great way to take the less affluent fan out of the game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Great way to take the less affluent fan out of the game, though.

Their attitude is to have us watch it on TV.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Their attitude is to have us watch it on TV.
    Agreed.

I think the questions that need to be asked are how many actual team fans attend the games? What is the percentage of fans of the two teams compared to the total attendance number?

I also think the travel time is getting a little exaggerated. If you live in the eastern part of the US it is only a couple more hours travel time to fly to London as opposed to say San Diego or Arizona.

They know they are going to get viewership as long as they keep the time of the game the same. The NFL isn't going to move the game out of primetime, they may be forced to move the game up an hour, which to me would be a good thing. I like the idea more and more because I think it would be cool to see the Super Bowl played on a legendary field.

I'm all for an exhibition game in London, but the biggest football game of the year there?? I believe it's a bad idea.

Turn Off Ads?